Boro v Birmingham match thread

Started by erimus74, October 18, 2023, 09:44:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

erimus74

Boro are on a roll

After struggling to get a win for the first seven games & one very concerned Boro fan, we've now gone 5 games unbeaten, winning the last 4 on the bounce, unbelievable turnaround, through to the 4th round of the league cup & to round it all off before the boring, boring international break, a fantastic record away win at Sunderland, still buzzing after that victory at the SOL

Our passing game has improved so much, with zero goals conceded in the past 2 games things are certainly looking up as we go in to Saturdays game full of confidence agaisnt Birmingham City

Michael Carricks welcomes his old team mate Rooney

Rooney will be in the Riverside dugout for his debut, replaced John Eustace, its hard to understand the board wanted to go in another direction, whatever that means, if your teams winning there's only one direction the team is going, Eustace was doing a good job himself, hope it backfires on them

Hopefully the break has given some of our injured players, O'Brien apart, time to recover & be available for the game, for me, the team that started v Sunderland should be the team that starts v Brum

Fingers crossed we can continue to be successful with our playing style & come the next boring, boring International break on the 18th November we have broke into the top 6

Birmingham sit in the last playoff place & 4th points better off than Boro

9th September 1899 - Our 1st ever home fixture v Birmingham, then Small Heath, Boro losing 3-1 at Linthorpe road

This will be our 59th fixture v Birmingham on Teesside with the following record
Won - 27
Drew - 19
Lost - 12
Goals scored - 82
Goals against - 58

No hat tricks v Birmingham

Home debuts v Small Heath / Birmingham

9th September 1899 then Small Heath Martin Hughes home lost 3-1 - Our 2nd 1st team GK
9th September 1899 then Small Heath John Redfern home lost 3-1
9th September 1899 then Small Heath James Callaghan home lost 3-1
9th September 1899 then Small Heath Michael Murhy  home lost 3-1 - Scored - Becoming the 1st Boro player to score at home as a football league club
4th September 1907 James Groves home won 1-0
21st October 1922 James Slade home won 2-1
11th March 1933 Thomas Griffiths home drew 2-2
9th September 1933 Charles Ferguson home lost 3-0
14th November 1974 Thomas Patterson home won 3-0 - 44th player to play one 1st team game for the Boro
26th March 1988 Trevor Senior home drew 1-1
21st September 2002 Tony Vidmar home won 1-0
21st August 2011 Faris Haroun home won 3-1
9th August 2014 Kenneth Omeruo home won 2-0 - Our 66th loaned player
9th August 2014 Kike home won 2-0
9th August 2014 Emilio Nuse home won 2-0

Home penalties v Birmingham

22/10/1922 Andrew Nesbit Wilson became the 16th penalty goalscorer when he notched our 34th home penalty - First divison
1/9/1948 Harold Dobbie became the 34th penalty goalscorer when he notched our 85th home penalty drew 1-1 - First divison
8/4/1955 Lindy Delaphena became the 35th penalty goalscorer when he notched our 104th home penalty Boro lost 5-2 - Second divison
14/12/1974 John Hickton became the 43rd penalty goalscorer when he notched our 165th home penalty Boro won 3-0 - First divison

A few  players who have represented both team

Bruce Rioch - managed the Boro so successfully, had short loan playing spell at Birmingham playing 3 games in 1978, that must have went down well been an ex Villa player
Colin Todd -  another one of the Rioch dream team played for Birmingham between 1979 -1982
John Eustace - 32nd loaned player, 10th loaned player at the Riverside when loaned from Coventry,  came on for 2 minutes v Liverpool & was booked 
Terry Cooper
Brian 'Taffy' Orritt
George Smith
Steve Vickers
George Friend
Adam Clayton
Emile Nsue
Curtis Fleming
Caolyn Boyd-Munce
Diego Fabrini
Johnathan Grounds
Lukas Jutkiewicz

Boro facts

Billy Ashcroft made a goal scoring home debut against Birmingham, we lost 2-1, Billy also had a goal disallowed

The same game Billy made his home debut was, sadly, the 1st game that Willie Maddren was to miss & never play another 1st team game for the Boro

When Birmingham were previously known as Small Haeth they were our 1st ever football league opponents on Teesside when we played at Linthorpe road ground, prior to Ayresome Park, on that particular day, 9th September 1899, we lost 3-1, with Michael Murphy credited with scoring our 1st ever 'home' league goal

Xmas day 1905 at Ayresome park was the 1st time we played against them when they changed their name from Small Heath to Birmingham, with Alf Common scoring the only goal of the game

We've never beaten Birmingham in a cup match, nor had a player score a hat trick past em, 1st one on Saturday maybe!

We have done the double over Birmingham on 6 times, 1907-08, 1974-75, 1978-79, 2005-06, 2017-18 & 2018-19

Boro v Birmingham could be one of my 1st ever Boro games I attended

C'mon Boro!

tunstall

Heard they've sold out the away end

Should be a good atmosphere

Boro 1 Brum 2

erimus74

Quote from: tunstall on October 18, 2023, 10:23:17 PMHeard they've sold out the away end

Should be a good atmosphere

Boro 1 Brum 2

A swap for me so I'll be there too, looking forward to it, hope the results the same as Rooneys last game here, wonder if the lad who took the selfie fancies doing it again  :ray:

LIDDLE_TOWERS999

BORO 2 BRUM 1 💪💪💪💪💪

COBURN
LATHE
GET WELL SOON STEVE G

Johnny Thunder

TerryCochranesSocks

AtomicDog

Why must I feel like that . . . Why must I chase the 🐈

Mike Peeler

Another nice informative write up Erimus - as always a good read that.

It might have a bit of an atmosphere tomorrow if they've sold a few. Will the 'zulus' be in  tow.. :leo3:  :orson:

We're Middlesbrough!!!

2-0 Boro

John Trebor

Whenever we play Birmingham I always think of Bloody Bob Hatton.
So I watch this to cheer me up...

TeessideTopgun

Fancy us to nick it by a goal 👍UTB

LIDDLE_TOWERS999

LOOKS LIKE MCGREE IS STILL OUT 😩😩😩
GET WELL SOON STEVE G

erimus74

Blast from the past v Birmingham when times were grim & loosly held together by the late, great Willie Maddren

erimus74

A few more action shot photos v Birmingham from over the years

Blott

The day is planned, 12.00 in the Pig Iron, Sq1 for 1 ish, leave at 2, in the ground for 1/2 past, the game, my son picks me up at 5.30, then England Rugby with a Jolsha takeaway.

erimus74

Quote from: Blott on October 20, 2023, 04:10:18 AMThe day is planned, 12.00 in the Pig Iron, Sq1 for 1 ish, leave at 2, in the ground for 1/2 past, the game, my son picks me up at 5.30, then England Rugby with a Jolsha takeaway.

Sounds good Blotty 👌

LIDDLE_TOWERS999

HAVE A FEELING WITH 2,500 BRUM TURNING UP THEY COULD BE A FEW SKIRMISHES IN TOWN & AROUND THE GROUND.... SOME ODIOUS CHARACTERS FOLLOW BRUM SO BE CAREFUL OUT THEIR CHAPS ON THE MEAN STREETS OF BORO 😏
GET WELL SOON STEVE G

Mike Peeler

I concur with towersy  :rudi:  :rudi2:

The might be a bit of weekend dancing. Birmingham's young lot are quite lively I've heard - so I would not be surprised to see a bit of jumping about if the weather holds up.

Not that I condone that type of behaviour -  :ponder:

AtomicDog

Quote from: LIDDLE_TOWERS999 (MODERATOR) on October 20, 2023, 05:23:13 AMHAVE A FEELING WITH 2,500 BRUM TURNING UP THEY COULD BE A FEW SKIRMISHES IN TOWN & AROUND THE GROUND.... SOME ODIOUS CHARACTERS FOLLOW BRUM SO BE CAREFUL OUT THEIR CHAPS ON THE MEAN STREETS OF BORO 😏

Been onto swalesy about this known 'Face' from the Midlands. . .

Apparently he's coming on a bus with all the Zulu Warriors. Dressed to kill there Lad's, he's got his Bovver Boot's on.
He's got form for schoonering too.

Lids do us a favour stay in the cross out the way Lad.
Different breed this type. Don't want to see you in ICU, with Christmas being round them corner.

If you don't listen I'll still bring you some 🍇, Lucozade and a Razzle Lad.

Just a bit of friendly advice that's all, different gravy this fella.

He's got 'Guns of Brixton'
Az az az ⛵
💪💪💪

LIDDLE_TOWERS999

Quote from: AtomicDog on October 20, 2023, 08:10:11 AM
Quote from: LIDDLE_TOWERS999 (MODERATOR) on October 20, 2023, 05:23:13 AMHAVE A FEELING WITH 2,500 BRUM TURNING UP THEY COULD BE A FEW SKIRMISHES IN TOWN & AROUND THE GROUND.... SOME ODIOUS CHARACTERS FOLLOW BRUM SO BE CAREFUL OUT THEIR CHAPS ON THE MEAN STREETS OF BORO 😏

Apparently he's coming on a bus with all the Zulu Warriors. Dressed to kill there Lad's, he's got his Bovver Boot's on.

Different breed this type. Don't want to see you in ICU, with Christmas being round them corner.

Az az az ⛵
💪💪💪

FUCKING HOB NAIL BOOTS  :sid:  :peopleseyebrow:  :ray:  :supremeleader:
GET WELL SOON STEVE G

AtomicDog

:leo:

:katie:

:love:  :leo: 

:peopleseyebrow:  :mick: 

:pd:  :rav: 

:supremeleader: 

:ray:

:rudi:  :rudi:  :rudi: 

:supremeleader:

:sid:  :sid:  :sid:

:westy:  :redcard:

Westlane_rightwinger

Quote from: AtomicDog on October 20, 2023, 08:10:11 AM

Az az az ⛵
💪💪💪

Is he just pleased to see the camera or is that a brick 🧱 in his pocket ?

2 - 0 for me.

Looks like we have a bit of luck with the weather as the rain 🌧 should stop before 3pm.

Shame about Mcree but the goals were made and scored all over the team against the Mackems so confidence will hopefully remain high.

They are a mess of a club. Grannyshaggers showbiz preferred to Eustace who had done fine. Hope he bounces back.

tunstall

Why do you think I'm bringing the missus along?

tunstall

Quote from: Blott on October 20, 2023, 04:10:18 AMThe day is planned, 12.00 in the Pig Iron, Sq1 for 1 ish, leave at 2, in the ground for 1/2 past, the game, my son picks me up at 5.30, then England Rugby with a Jolsha takeaway.

Racist.

Reported.

RiversideRifle

UTB