Chelsea v Boro semi final 2nd leg match thread

Started by erimus74, January 23, 2024, 11:20:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

erimus74

Well, the day has finally arrived, we can now start to count down the final hours until, IMHO, our biggest game of our season & if things go for us then it's another tick in the box for Michael Carrick to file under his very good managerial CV

All the preparations, biting our nerves, wondering who of the walking wounded will make the starting eleven, is almost up as us fans will think of nothing else today other than "will we see a triumphant Boro night" or "will it be a case of 'oh well, we can now concentrate on the league"

Leading up to this game we are in a 3 game unbeaten run, with a bit of luck & composure it should have been 3 straight wins instead of 2 wins & a draw & potentially & unfortunately, as has happened too many times this season, another big injury to our almost injury ravaged team, as we prepare to face our biggest game & test since the playoff second leg at home to Coventry last May
The mighty Boro are one nil up from the 1st leg, fingers crossed, we overcome the sure to be onslaught from Chelsea, try & remain unbeaten & against all the odds, book our place in the league cup final, 20 years after our carling cup win, easier said than done.

Just before kick off in the 1st leg I was concerned they would just blow us away, our injury, weakened team, their billionaire footballers, their history of consecutive wins over us, in front of the cameras it just pointed to a comfortable away win                                                                                                                     I was just hoping that if we can sort of keep the score respectable, put in a decent performance & hopefully, the 2nd leg we have something to play for, but dear me, it turned out better than I dared have dreamed of. Tonight, we could be blown away, they could steamroll us from kickoff, but on the flipside, we could just frustrate them, they start doubting themselves, the crowd get on their backs & out of the blue, score a goal, putting them on the back foot, nothing is certain in football, we're not known as typical Boro for nothing

Given above though, to still be in with a shout at this stage is a remarkable achievement in itself.

If Jones doesn't make tonight, due to that thug Hugill pushing him in the back, our pace in the team has all but gone, for me, Jones defensive duties is so vital to our play that it will take a special team performance to get us over the line & to Wembley

Tonight is our 94th league cup tie, our 6th league cup semi final, twice before we've met Chelsea in the league cup, once at Ayresome Park winning 2-1 & once at their place, losing 3-2

Imagine our fans tonight at Stamford Bridge, on Teesside, across the UK, & around the world will be rooting for us to get over the line & reach the league cup final, I always give it its real name, not the sponsored name. Michael Carrick will tell his players just before they leave the changies (retro speaking) keep your shape, keep calm, hold on to the ball, dont give silly free kicks away & with a bit of league cup luck, we'll be fine, our fans at the stadium will be "loud" tonight
Lets hope Rogers puts all the transfer talk behind him & tells himself & his teammates, whether he stays or joins Villa collectively they may never get another chance to play in a cup semi final again, never mind a final

Since our heroic playoff win they've broken our hearts more than once, let's give them a bit back

Omens
•  20 years since the carling cup win  & in a leap year, we also beat another big London club, Arsenal, who were massive favourites, 1-0 in the 1st leg
•  After beating Liverpool in 1998 league cup semi final to get to Wembley, our next championship league game was at home to Sunderland
•  Ian Baird was on loan from Leeds when we go to the ZDS, though cuptied, similar to on loan Luke Ayling on loan from Leeds

Away debut \ last appearance v Chelsea

26/12/1907 - Arthur Urquhart made his final appearance – lost 1-0

19/2/1910 - Simon Beaton made his debut after moving from Newcastle United this month. W. Flint made his one and only appearance after moving from Hebburn Argyle in 1908. Moved to Notts County this year. George Burton made his final appearance before moving to Cardiff City this year – lost 2-1

29/11/19109 - John Davison made his debut after moving from Blyth Spartans in October – lost 3-1

24/11/1923 - William Fox made his final appearance before moving to Wolves in October 1924 & Andrew Nesbit Wilson made his final appearance before moving to Chelsea this month – lost 2-0

28/8/1926 - James Mathieson made his debut after moving from Raith Rovers in June. Joseph Miller made his debut after moving from Aberdare Athletic in April. William Pease made his debut after moving from Northampton Town in May – lost 3-0

2/1/1932 - John Surtees made his one and only appearance after moving from Percy Main in March 1930. Moved to Portsmouth in June. Herbert Watson made his last appearance before moving to Brentford in May – lost 4-0

14/1/1939 - Charles Scrimshaw made his final appearance – lost 4-2

10/5/1947 - Norman Malan made his debut after moving from Defos FC (South Africa) in October 1945 – lost 2-0

18/10/1947 - George Dews and Bobby Stuart made their final appearances before moving to Plymouth Argyle this month – lost 4-2

21/8/1948 - Thomas Blenkinsop made his debut after moving from Grimsby Town in May. Rolando Ugolini made his debut after moving from Celtic in May. Patrick Johnston made his final appearance before moving to Grimsby Town in February 1949 lost 1-0

21/5/1979 – Chelseas Gary Chivers made his first & final Chelsea appearance against Boro after joining as an apprentice – lost 2-1  & 14/5/1983 his final appearance before moving to Swansea City in August – drew 0-0

3/5/1993 - Dwight Marshall made his debut after moving from Plymouth Argyle, on loan, in March. Ian Ironside made his final appearance before moving to Stockport County in September – lost 4-0

29/3/1998 - League cup final sub-Paul Gascoigne made his debut replacing Hamilton Ricard in the 2nd half Our 15th league cup debutant – lost 2-0

Only the one away penalties v Chelsea

23/9/2001 – Alen Boksic became the 73rd different Boro player when he scored our 105th away penalty in a 2-2 draw at Stamford Bridge

Represented for both clubs:

Darren Wood – Sold to Chelsea in n1984 for £72k
Tony McAndrew – Part of the transfer that seen Darren Wood go to Chelsea, cash plus player
Andy Nesbit Wilson
John Neal managed both teams
Ross Turnbull
Josh McEachran 55th loaned player - Loaned from Chelsea - 33rd at the Riverside - 2012/13
Nathaniel Chalobah - 61st loaned player - Loaned from Chelsea - 39th at the Riverside – 2013/14
Keith Omeruo   - Signed for us on loan from Chelsea two seasons running - 62nd loaned player - 40th at the Riverside 2013/14 & 65th loaned player 44th at the Riverside - 2014/15

Lewis Baker - 83rd loaned player - Loaned from Chelsea - 51st at the Riverside - 2017/18
Thomas Kalas 71st loaned player - Loaned from Chelsea over 2 seasons - 50th at the Riverside - 2014/15
Patrick Bamford - 66th loaned player - Loaned from Chelsea - 45th at the Riverside - 2014/15
Jamal Blackman – Our 46th different 1st team GK - 39th league cup debutant - 69th loaned player - Loaned from Chelsea - Scored in a penalty shoot-out league cup - 48th at the Riverside - 7th GK - 2014/15
Bolo Zenden - 36th loaned player - Loaned from Chelsea & after one season, 39 games, scoring 7 goals he was signed permanently - 14th at the Riverside - 2003/04
Anthony Barness 1993/94 – Played the one game v Grimsby Town away in an Anglo Scottish cup tie
Marcus Bettinelli 2020/21 – Our 78th keeper - 97th loaned player - Loaned from Fulham - 64th at the Riverside - 8th GK

TerryCochranesSocks

Brilliant!

(Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink too)

Westlane_rightwinger

With the Messiah 1 - 1, without not so good. Kin Facun Hugill.

Great post Erimus!

erimus74

Quote from: TerryCochranesSocks on January 23, 2024, 11:25:41 AMBrilliant!

(Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink too)

Cracking shout TerryCochranesSocks, what a player he was for us & Zenden, who I also forgot about

erimus74

Quote from: Westlane_rightwinger on January 23, 2024, 11:26:08 AMWith the Messiah 1 - 1, without not so good. Kin Facun Hugill.

Great post Erimus!

Cheers Westlane_rightwinger, great name by the way, I grew up in west lane

borope

On the train now. 11am out of Darlo loads of Boro on plenty got on at Northallerton too. 👍

erimus74

Quote from: borope on January 23, 2024, 11:41:03 AMOn the train now. 11am out of Darlo loads of Boro on plenty got on at Northallerton too. 👍

Safe journey borope & all Boro fans goung tonight, be safe & loud

Johnny Thunder

Class post Erimus.

Come on ye bastards. Win it.

:leo1:

AtomicDog

Why must I feel like that . . . Why must I chase the 🐈

teamboro

Rent boys 3-0 I'm afraid if they have there shooting boots on
TEESSIDER and Proud  of the area unlike some and I'm not a Racist

tunstall

crazy how big Stamford Bridge was back in the day

UTB

borope

Quote from: erimus74 on January 23, 2024, 11:44:18 AM
Quote from: borope on January 23, 2024, 11:41:03 AMOn the train now. 11am out of Darlo loads of Boro on plenty got on at Northallerton too. 👍

Bernie on my train as well Erimus 👍

erimus74

Quote from: borope on January 23, 2024, 12:44:26 PM
Quote from: erimus74 on January 23, 2024, 11:44:18 AM

Bernie on my train as well Erimus 👍

Good omen, SB 1988 🤞👍😉

Gingerpig

markmywords

Since the playoff win against them I only have bad memories from cup games against them and we haven't turned up in any of the finals. Let's hope we buck the trend tonight.

erimus74

Well done tyne tees news starting off with the mighty Boro 👍

erimus74

SAdly no Jones, cheesr to that Rotherham thug, Clarke keeps his place, another top game from Fry, Forss starts too

Massive games to be on the bench for McCabe, Bridgem Bilongo,

Gboro64

Watching it on TV. Jimmy Floyd,ark Schwartz and er Karen Carney. Wonder what she'll enlighten us with

Bud Wiser

Painful memories of my visit there in 1988. I swear I've still got the bruises on the back of my heels from where I was kicking away at their crumbling terracing to throw at those Chelsea dickheads who came towards our end. And to think they had a banner at a game prior to the ZDS Final reading: THERES NO FENCES THIS TIME BORO. Which was just as well as the very same fences prevented those pitch invading rent boys from getting the hiding of their lives!
SAMMY AMEOBI - CAN I HAVE YOUR SHIRT PLEASE

ccole

teamboro

AtomicDog

We nicked in the Cleveland centre to watch it on the big screen . . .

UTFB!

🐾

Why must I feel like that . . . Why must I chase the 🐈

teamboro