Boro v Preston match thread

Started by erimus74, November 26, 2023, 09:57:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

erimus74

Following our setback, first defeat in 4 games, with the loss at Bristol City at the weekend & the manner in the way we are starting to concede silly goals, including 2 consecutive games were we allowed an opposing player room to run unchallenged towards our area before hitting a cracking shot past Dieng, we have a quick turnaround to hopefully get back to winning ways & against high flying Preston North End who occupy the final playoff place & 4 points better off than the Boro

IMHO, the Championship, best league in the world, is so tight this season, there are a cluster of clubs right down to to Norwich (below Norwich 2 points behind the Boro are Birmingham but with Rooney there I'll discount them) who are 13th & sit one point & place below the mighty Boro, can still have ambitions of gatecrashing the playoffs, it's so wide open

Our early season problems seem to have resurfaced in recent away games, which Michael Carrick & his coaching staff will have to try & rectify as we can't continue to go behind then try & outscore the opposition, we conceded goals for fun in our opening 7 games then worked hard to overcome that as we went on a good run & climbed the table, then over the last 3 away games we seem to have gone backwards, conceding 2, 3 & 3

Michael Carrick will sit down with his coaching team & look at areas to improve, players to rest, players to bring in etc
Does Matt Clarke deserve his first start of the season, giving Fry, who was lucky to stay on the field a rest, I love Fry, his love of the club, his pride at recently having the honour of been captain & think his future is here but he was caught wanting leading up to half time & we suffered because of it.
Home games Coburn starts, he showed enough when he came on v Bristol City, Latte Lath, who I like, is ideal when defenders tire, maybe ok in away games but come tuesday for me, Josh come back in
We still rely on Howson too much, he's such a valued player for us & coming up to 37 we really need to look at replacing him, a great professional whose been outstanding at the Boro who still has more good games than quiet ones, but when he drops below his standards then so do the team & Hackney

Thought Silvers done really well when coming on, unlucky that he didn't get on the scoresheet, even though it got a wicked deflection he showed enough to be considered, Jones defensive duties are a big part of his game but dropped by his standards on Saturday & similar to the Plymouth game, from his positioning, could have done better with a couple of goals we've conceded, again, more good games than quiet ones, strayed offside for his goal, maybe have a chat with Bernie on when to keep onside in the penalty area.
Rogers, whose been a plus through our unbeaten run continued to run down blind alleys at Bristol

I think we have the nucleus of a very good team in 12 months time if they continue to develop but its the here & now we have to deal with

Michael Carrick spoke about not recruiting in January, especially in the strikers department but for me, its a must, along with someone who can come in for Hackney, against Stoke he was a massive miss

Back to Tuesdays fixture v Preston, a team we just blew away last season, they've had a few decent results at the Riverside over the past few seasons but last year they were leagues away from us & we have to try & recreate the same again on Tuesday

The 1st fixture between both clubs was a 1892 FAC 2nd cup tie at Linthorpe road with Preston running out 2-1 winners

This will be the 52nd match on Teesside between both teams with the following record

Won  - 29
Drew - 11
Lost - 11
Goals for - 92
Goals against - 50

Some who have represented Boro & Preston

Hughie Mcllmoyle
Dave Brown - GK
Mick Baxter
Jordan Hugil
Dave Nugent
Alf Common
Nobby Stiles
Kelhan O'Hanlon - GK
Sean St Ledger (3 month loan) - Our 39th loaned signing

Home debuts v Preston

12/11/1904 - Craig Thomas home drew 1-1
04/04/1914 - Richard Healey home won 4-1 -  Scored on debut
17/04/1921 - William Murray home won 1-0
22/12/1923 - Ian Dickson home lost 2-1
22/12/1923 - William Wainscoat home lost 2-1 - Scored on debut
16/03/1935 - Ralph Birkett away lost 2-0
02/10/1937 - Frank Nashhome won 2-1 - Our 20th GK
21/09/1946 - Alex Linwood home won 2-0
10/01/1987 - Paul Kerr home lost 1-0 - FAC 3rd round, 3rd FAC debutant

Home hat tricks v Preston

3rd November 1934 -  Mick Fenton scored his 1st hattrick on this day when the Boro drew with Preston 3-3 at Ayresome Park, in a 1st division fixture, it was the 42nd HT at AP & 57th overall

Home penalties v Preston

21/9/1946 George Hardwick become the 30th different Boro player when he scored our 79th home penalty in a 2-0 win - First Division

22/12/1951 Linda Delapenha become the 35th different Boro player when he scored our 96th home penalty in a 5-2 defeat - First Division

10/8/1968 John Hickton become the 43rd different Boro player when he scored our 154th home penalty in a 2-1 win - Second Division

Paul Kerr, who was the clubs 1st cash transfer following liquidation, made his Boro debut at home to Preston in the FAC 3rd round, 10th January 1987, unfortunately we lost 1-0

tunstall

Always like to see PNE doing well

They're usually mid-table, so it's good that they're making a push for the play offs

Be a stern test for the Boro this one, we had a good result against them last year at home, so hopefully more of the same and a definite reaction from the weekend is needed

UTB

Boro 1 PNE 3

teamboro

Hard game this one our defence can leak to many goals at times but it's at home

2-1 mighty Reds

Great write up again Erimus
TEESSIDER and Proud  of the area unlike some and I'm not a Racist

LIDDLE_TOWERS999

BORO  LIONS 🦁 2 LILYWHITES 0

COBURN⚽️
GREENWOOD⚽️

💪💪💪💪💪💪💪💪
GET WELL SOON STEVE G

erimus74

Quote from: teamboro on November 27, 2023, 06:52:37 AMHard game this one our defence can leak to many goals at times but it's at home

2-1 mighty Reds

Great write up again Erimus

Cheers teamboro

erimus74

Quote from: tunstall on November 27, 2023, 05:02:50 AMAlways like to see PNE doing well

They're usually mid-table, so it's good that they're making a push for the play offs

Be a stern test for the Boro this one, we had a good result against them last year at home, so hopefully more of the same and a definite reaction from the weekend is needed

UTB

Boro 1 PNE 3

Yes theyve done well up here in recent seasons

Johnny Thunder

TerryCochranesSocks

January window can't come soon enough for our beleaguered back line.
I'm going with a 1-0 scrappy victory for the Boro. Deflection off someone's arse.

Smoggers51

Another great write up Erimus 👍I like Silvera but was a little disappointed with him on Saturday when he stopped twice not chasing their goalkeeper down .Fry needs resting ,he looked a bit jaded on Saturday.Another big concern of mine is our defence laying off players.I think Coburn should start on Tuesday and about the 70th minute bring Latte Lath on when their defenders are getting tired.Going to be a very tight game ,I'm thinking 1-1 draw.

TeessideTopgun

👏👏👏

Defo bounce back 2-0 👍UTB

erimus74

Quote from: Smoggers51 on November 27, 2023, 12:37:52 PMAnother great write up Erimus 👍I like Silvera but was a little disappointed with him on Saturday when he stopped twice not chasing their goalkeeper down .Fry needs resting ,he looked a bit jaded on Saturday.Another big concern of mine is our defence laying off players.I think Coburn should start on Tuesday and about the 70th minute bring Latte Lath on when their defenders are getting tired.Going to be a very tight game ,I'm thinking 1-1 draw.

Cheers Smoggers

erimus74

Quote from: TeessideTopgun on November 27, 2023, 02:42:24 PM👏👏👏

Defo bounce back 2-0 👍UTB

Yes I'll go with that TT 👍

LIDDLE_TOWERS999

GET WELL SOON STEVE G

AtomicDog

Why must I feel like that . . . Why must I chase the 🐈

erimus74

Blott

At work tonight, as they say life's a bitch.

erimus74

Back tomorrow for me Blotty so able get there tonight

LIDDLE_TOWERS999

Quote from: Blott on November 28, 2023, 03:44:14 PMAt work tonight, as they say life's a bitch.

SHOULDN'T YOU BE RETIRED AT YOUR AGE  🤔🤔🤔
GET WELL SOON STEVE G

Blott

Quote from: LIDDLE_TOWERS999 (MODERATOR) on November 28, 2023, 04:25:13 PM
Quote from: Blott on November 28, 2023, 03:44:14 PMAt work tonight, as they say life's a bitch.

I couldn't. The thought of gardening, TV and golf ? Not for me

I couldn't spend 25 minutes in a pub during the day.

If you are about on the 9th I will explain.

erimus74

Me too 🙄

LIDDLE_TOWERS999

Quote from: Blott on November 28, 2023, 04:40:55 PM

I GO TO THE LAND OF SMILES ON THE 6TH  🇹🇭

👍🍺🍺🍺👍😉💪😜
GET WELL SOON STEVE G

Blott

Quote from: LIDDLE_TOWERS999 (MODERATOR) on November 28, 2023, 05:24:13 PM
Quote from: Blott on November 28, 2023, 04:40:55 PM

I GO TO THE LAND OF SMILES ON THE 6TH  🇹🇭

👍🍺🍺🍺👍😉💪😜
enjoy.

erimus74

Upto 12 months to go for mind 👍

erimus74

In for me tonight, Coburn & Clarke should start

Fingers crossed Engle is ok

LIDDLE_TOWERS999

HAVE A FEELING THIS TEAM WILL GET BEAT TONIGHT 🙄🙄🙄

TEAM LOOKS SO WEAK 🤔🤔🤔

FB-IMG-1701197324792" border="0