Boro v Leicester City match thread

Started by erimus74, November 08, 2023, 07:31:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

erimus74

Toughest game of the season

Following the Stoke home defeat that stopped our excellent run of 6 consecutive league wins we travelled to Devon for a double header, in midweek it was cup action as we faced Exeter in a 4th round league cup tie, which seen the Boro continue their fine run in the competition & progress to the quarter finals, followed by saturady a league meeting with Plymouth at Home Park, we were unlucky to leave with just the one point when all 3 would have been our just reward, on the plus side though, we're now unbeaten in two games & hopefully, fingers crossed, we can continue that against the Championship leaders Leicester City, who sit 11 places & 18 points above the mighty Boro

Leicesters last game seen them suffer only their 2nd defeat of the season & 1st at home when losing to Leeds, man for man they're probably head & shoulders above any team in this league, but as we all know to well games aren't won on paper, you have to earn the right to win a football match & if Boro are in their faces from kickoff, unsettle them, then maybe we'll have a good chance of causing an upset

Plenty of talking points for Michael Carrick to ponder, will he go with Dijksteel or VDB, who for me, was out of position for both Plymouths first half goals
Dijksteel for me, will he bring in Engle or the pace of Bangura, who is fast but a bit suspect at the back & still learning
We still have a number of absentees, O'Brien out, Smith out, Lenihen out, McGree out, Forss out

Leicester have a plus 20 GD, Boro have a minus one, one thing my dad told me, never back the Boro & never back against em

Looks like a sell out, unfortunately I can't make the game, working days, no holidays left to use, will have to settle for snippets on the radio

Small recent history on Teesside v Leicester City

September 1990 We battered them 6-0 at Ayresome Park, 4-0 up at half time, with sub Bernie coming on & scoring the 4th goal & probably, best goal of the game
December 1989 Beat them 4-1 with at Ayresome Park when Stephen Pears, back from a long term injury performed heroically, with an outstanding MOTM performance, he almost stopped everything Leicester City & in particular, Kevin Campbell, who was on loan from Arsenal, could  throw at him
May 1988 The final game of the season, we only had to win, even a draw would have done in the end, to guarantee automatic promotion as runners up to Millwall for our 2nd consecutive season, the carnival atmosphere got to us as we went down 2-1, looking back it was one result I was happy to take as we went on to win the playoffs
October 1974  Beat them 1-0 in the 4th round of the league cup on the way to the league cup 5th round
Again 1974, September After 28 minutes & winning 1-0 the floodlights failed & after a long delay, standing in the holgate waiting patiently for the lights to come back on & play to resume only for the announcer to speak over the tannoy to say the match was abandoned, the penultimate game to be abandoned at Ayresome Park, Boro went on to win the arranged game 3-0
A couple of 3-3 draws, a few 0-3 defeats which tells you one thing with this fixture, there has always been plenty of goals involved

17th February 1900 - Boro 0 Leicester Fossee 1 - 1st home fixture between both teams, it'll be the 56th meeting between both teams on Teesside with the following record

Won - 25
Drew  - 14
Lost - 16
Goals for - 93
Goals against - 66

Represented both teams

Andy Aitken - Boro's 1st ever player manager when he joined the Boro in October 1906, he was manager for 30 months but due to a clash of personalities at Ayresome Park, he refused to name names he sadly left the Boro in 1909 to join Leicester Fosee, he later admitted his time at Boro was his most enjoyable (That goes without saying)
George Carr - Played 70 games for Boro between 1919/24 scoring 24 goals -  signed for Leicester in1924
Roger Burbeck - Played 152 games between 1956/63, scoring 29 goals - signed from Leicester in 1956
Donald Walker - Signed from Leicester in 1959 - Played 25 goals between 1959/62 scoring one goal
Tom Patterson - Signed from Leicester City September 1974 - Played the one game for the Boro, becoming the 41st different Boro to do so
Tommy Wright - Signed from Leicester in 1992 - Played 66 games for Boro between 1992/95. scoring 6 goals
Kevin Poole - Played 40 games between 1988/91 - signed for Leicester 1991
Nigel Pearson - Played 139 games between 1994/98 scoring 5 goals, - Managed Leicester between 2011/15
Mark Schwarzer - Played 466 games between 1996/2008 - Signed for Leicester 2016
David Nugent - Played for Leicester between 2011-15 - Played 44 games for Boro, between 2015/17, scoring 9 goals
Richie de Laet - 77th loaned player - Loaned from Leicester City - 55th at the Riverside - Played 10 games for the Boro in 2015
Robert Huth played 63 games for the Boro between 2006/09, zero goals I Signed for for Leicester 2015

Home penalties v Leicester Fossee / City

1/3/1902 - David Smith became our 2nd different penalty goalscorer scored our 4th penalty in a 5-0 win (Linthorpe road) 2nd division
3/1/1925 - William Hicks became our 17th different penalty goalscorer when he scored our 41st penalty in a 5-1 defeat (Ayresome Park)  2nd division
8/10/1955 - Linda Delaphena became our 35th different penalty goalscorer when he scored our 106 penalty in a 4-3 win (Ayresome Park)  2nd division
27/11/1982 - Stephen Bell became our 49th different penalty goalscorer when he scored our 184th penalty in a 1-1 draw (Ayresome Park) 2nd division

2 home hat tricks  v Leicester City

30/01/1909 - John Hall became the 7th different hat trick scorer for the Boro when he notched his one & only Boro treble, the clubs 8th home HT, 4th at Ayresome Park & 10th in total
20/11/1937 - Micky Fenton became the 23rd different hat trick scorer for the Boro when he notched his third Boro treble, the clubs 52nd home HT, 48th at Ayresome Park & 63rd in total

Home debuts v Leicester City

17/2/1900 R.W.Evens lost 1-0
3/1/1925 John Proctor French lost 5-1 - The 26th player to just the one  game for the Boro
5/5/1934 John Smith won 4-1 - The 30th player to play just the one game for the Boro
8/10/1955 Billy Day won 4-3
30/10/1976 Alf Wood lost 1-0
27/3/1978 Dave Brown lost 1-0 - Boro's 38th used goalkeeper
3/8/2013 Jozef Varga lost 2-1 - 58th loaned player - Loaned from Debrecen - 36th at the Riverside
3/8/2013 Dean Whitehead lost 2-1

foto hosting

free photo uploading sites

Blott

As I left the house for the Stoke game I said to her who knows everything I didn't fancy us. Leicester I do.

UTB

Smoggers51

Once again Erimus , Great write up and fantastic memorabilia 👍The beauty of being retired after 50 years grafting is that I don't miss any home games and very few away games. This is probably in my opinion the toughest test of our credentials this season. We mustn't sit deep and hopefully we will hold our own . No doubt our defence will be stretched but I reckon the boys will rise to the occasion. The added bonus on Saturday is that I got tickets for my mate and his grandson who is an exiled Smoggy  in Leicester . He is 10 so hopefully he will see the Mighty Boro perform well . UTMB!!!

AtomicDog

Class as usual Mr Erimus your input is certainly appreciated on here.

Close one this

6-1

🐾
Why must I feel like that . . . Why must I chase the 🐈

LIDDLE_TOWERS999

BORO LIONS 🦁 2  FOXES 🦊 2

COBURN
GREENWOOD
GET WELL SOON STEVE G

RiversideRifle

UTB

Francks left peg

Their manager scored against us twice in the UEFA final for Sevilla! 1-4 to Leicester!

erimus74

Quote from: Smoggers51 on November 08, 2023, 08:33:24 PMOnce again Erimus , Great write up and fantastic memorabilia 👍The beauty of being retired after 50 years grafting is that I don't miss any home games and very few away games. This is probably in my opinion the toughest test of our credentials this season. We mustn't sit deep and hopefully we will hold our own . No doubt our defence will be stretched but I reckon the boys will rise to the occasion. The added bonus on Saturday is that I got tickets for my mate and his grandson who is an exiled Smoggy  in Leicester . He is 10 so hopefully he will see the Mighty Boro perform well . UTMB!!!

Cheers Smoggers

Hope you all enJoy the day, exiled smoggy, like it

UTMB

erimus74

Quote from: AtomicDog on November 08, 2023, 08:38:24 PMClass as usual Mr Erimus your input is certainly appreciated on here.

Close one this

6-1

Cheers Atomic, love the prediction
🐾

In With the Lurpak

"Looks like a sell out, unfortunately I can't make the game, working days, no holidays left to use, will have to settle for snippets on the radio"

Is there no one to do a shift swap at your place Erimus anno it's a bit late in the day now asking the lads like , Great OP as usual  :cheers:

Boro 3  -  1  Leicester City

Last option wack a sicki in  :rudi:

teamboro

Hopefully a tight game with the Mighty Reds coming out winning

1-0
 :leo3:
TEESSIDER and Proud  of the area unlike some and I'm not a Racist

Hound

Tough game this one, gone are the days Boro and Leicester were on an even keel, will be well happy if we can manage to even get a draw from this one, but it's a funny old league.

Johnny Thunder

erimus74

Quote from: LIDDLE_TOWERS999 (MODERATOR) on November 08, 2023, 08:44:19 PMBORO LIONS 🦁 2  FOXES 🦊 2

COBURN
GREENWOOD
Be happy with a point Luds, would take a draw now, keep our new unbeaten run going

erimus74

erimus74

Quote from: In With the Lurpak on November 09, 2023, 04:55:17 AM"Looks like a sell out, unfortunately I can't make the game, working days, no holidays left to use, will have to settle for snippets on the radio"

Is there no one to do a shift swap at your place Erimus anno it's a bit late in the day now asking the lads like , Great OP as usual  :cheers:

Boro 3  -  1  Leicester City

Last option wack a sicki in  :rudi:

Didnt realise till late Lurpack, one lad who usually swaps with me, is a Sunderland fan & we've swapped before when each team is playing when we're at work but he's on nights friday & saturday
Others who I could have asked were unavailable & dont like asking to late in the day, on my rest days now & go back Saturday

TeessideTopgun

Score Draw , will be happy with that , UTB 👍

erimus74

Quote from: Francks left peg on November 08, 2023, 10:09:54 PMTheir manager scored against us twice in the UEFA final for Sevilla! 1-4 to Leicester!

Didnt know that Franks

tunstall

Be happy with a point against these

Boro 0 Lester 4

erimus74

Forgot to add, last proper football fixture before the boring, boring international break

Lets go out with a bang 👍

Bud Wiser

As we all know, Carrick intentionally picks sides that go against popular opinion. Therefore I fully expect Van Den Berg starting at right-back culminating with a 0-3 drubbing.
SAMMY AMEOBI - CAN I HAVE YOUR SHIRT PLEASE

New Division

LIDDLE_TOWERS999

💪💪💪💪💪💪💪💪💪💪💪🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧
GET WELL SOON STEVE G