Boro v Plymouth match thread

Started by erimus74, November 02, 2023, 06:37:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

erimus74

2nd of a double header in Devon

We've experienced a strange few days as Boro fans, on Saturday we lost our excellent run of consecutive wins when Stoke, who done their homework on us & were worthy winners, came to the Riverside & went away with the three points, a bit flat on Sunday & Monday then Tuesday, another big game to look forward to, dust ourselves down to fight for a place in the 5th round of the league cup when then travelled to Exeter for our 4th round league cup tie & after a bit of a scare, came through the tie for a place in the 5th round, who we have been drawn away to Port Vale

The Exeter game seen some cracking performances, for me Rogers was my MOTM, McNair had a good steady game, Dijksteel who has been out for what seemed forever, came through 90 minutes unscathed, Bangura had a fine game, plenty of running & pace, he also claimed two assists, Rogers continues to show what he's got & potentially, could become a big player fo us, Silvers too, when he keeps his shots low, Latte Lath kept his composure with a nice well taken, winning goal when he slotted the penalty home 

I don't think Glover was to blame for either of the two goals Exeter scored on the night, the lad hit  a cracking shot, he'll probably never do again for his 1st & his 2nd deflected off Paddy McNair, but we came through & now look forward to another big night

On to Saturdays game, our last meeting was when Boro manager at the time, good auld Neil Warnock took the players down to Devon for a team group get together & a few friendly games with one of them at Plymouth, which the Boro won 2-1 

21st August 1954 - first meeting between both team in Devon Plymouth 2 Boro 2with the following record

Won - 6
Drew -8
Lost - 4
Goals scored - 25
Goals against - 26

No Boro away hat tricks at Plymouth

No away debut goals or penalties v Plymouth

Represented Boro & Plymouth

Dwight Marshall - April 1993 Our 18th loaned player, Plymouth sent him north for a look to buy player, fast player but nothing came of it & he returned to Plymouth - two sub appearances, no goals

Anthony Barness - 21st loaned player - Loaned from Chelsea - One appearance in the Anglo Italian cup v Grimsby Town away 1993 - 37 games for Plymouth 2005/07

Ben Gibson 2011 13 games, zero goals - Boro 2010/18 185 games, 4 goals

George Dews

Bobby Stuart

Ronald Waldock

Alan Miller 1988/94 9 games - Boro 1994/97 57 games

Jack Stephens 2010/11 5 games, zero goals - Boro 2015/16 one game

Yanik Bolasie 2008/11 51 games, 8 goals - Boro 2021 15 games, 3 goals

Lennie Lawrence was caretaker at Playmouth in 1978 Boro manager between 1991-1994

Tony Pulis managed Plymouth 2005/6 -  Managed Boro 2017/19

David Jack played 45 games, scoring 10 goals for Plymouth in season 1919/20 - Boro manager between 1944/1952

It was wrongly quoted that after Boro lost to Plymouth in the 3rd round of the FAC back in 1973 Stan Anderson resigned, that wasn't the case, after losing to Plymouthon the 13th the Boro then travelled to QPR  a week later, drawing 0-0 & Stan sadly decided he couldnt take the club any further

My brother in law, who was born in Thornaby, now lives in Canada, his dad once played centre forward for Plymouth in the early 50's, made his debut against Leeds United with John Charles marking him
The story goes when my son in laws dad scored his 1st of two goal John Charles picked him & said, good goal son but you wont get another touch, he went on to score a 2nd goal, Leeds won 4-2 

He decided to visit Home Park while he was down that part of the world & jumped on the bus to go to the town to get another to the ground, on pay he told the bus driver he's going to Home Park to visit his old playing ground, the driver recognised him, told him he enjoyed watching him play for Plymouth & took him straight to the ground himself, lovely story

teamboro

Great read again Erimus

0-2 mighty Reds
TEESSIDER and Proud  of the area unlike some and I'm not a Racist

erimus74

Quote from: teamboro on November 02, 2023, 06:41:31 PMGreat read again Erimus

0-2 mighty Reds

Thanks teamboro, hard to write to much with lack of history between both team, regarding debut goals, penalties, hat tricks etc

Blott

Brillo Erimus. I said I would rather beat Exeter but why not finish the Brethren to make it a perfect trip.

In With the Lurpak

LIDDLE_TOWERS999

ARGYLE 2 BORO LIONS 🦁 3

COBURN ⚽️
LATH ⚽️
CROOKS ⚽️

💪💪💪
GET WELL SOON STEVE G

John Trebor

Thamks Erimus. I found a clip of one of my favourite Boro goals, Willie Falconer against Plymouth in 1992. Peter Shilton was in goal.

Johnny Thunder

tunstall

Quote from: John Trebor on November 03, 2023, 08:48:25 AMThamks Erimus. I found a clip of one of my favourite Boro goals, Willie Falconer against Plymouth in 1992. Peter Shilton was in goal.

He was class that lad

Sure he had a bad injury and was never the same player after it

Smoggers51

Great write up as always Erimus.I'll be at the Plymouth game in spirit only as I gave my ticket to one of my godsons who is in the Navy and is at present stationed in Plymouth. He is a proper smoggy lad so hopefully he will see the lads win 2-1.UTMB

AtomicDog

Why must I feel like that . . . Why must I chase the 🐈

erimus74

Quote from: Smoggers51 on November 03, 2023, 09:02:41 AMGreat write up as always Erimus.I'll be at the Plymouth game in spirit only as I gave my ticket to one of my godsons who is in the Navy and is at present stationed in Plymouth. He is a proper smoggy lad so hopefully he will see the lads win 2-1.UTMB

Good on ya Smoggers51 👍

TeessideTopgun

Great write up as usual Erimus , 👍 , 2-0 to mighty reds UTB👍

RiversideRifle

Few rumours that this one might get postponed
UTB

erimus74

Quote from: TeessideTopgun on November 03, 2023, 11:33:55 AMGreat write up as usual Erimus , 👍 , 2-0 to mighty reds UTB👍

Cheers Topgun

LIDDLE_TOWERS999

GET WELL SOON STEVE G

LIDDLE_TOWERS999

Quote from: RiversideRifle on November 03, 2023, 12:35:20 PMFew rumours that this one might get postponed

🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄
GET WELL SOON STEVE G

LIDDLE_TOWERS999

GET WELL SOON STEVE G

erimus74

Been there a couple of times, both tines on supporters coach

Nosmo-King

Can see us back on it today. 2-1 to us

LIDDLE_TOWERS999

U.T.F.B. 💪💪💪💪💪💪💪💪💪
GET WELL SOON STEVE G

Sir Digby