Exeter v Boro match thread

Started by erimus74, October 30, 2023, 05:51:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

erimus74

Well this wont take long to write

With no football history between both clubs, other than a friendly played in the summer of 1994, there's no past history to go back, way back in the summer of 1994 when Robbos revolution was about to take off, Boro travelled to play a Devon double header with Torquay & Exeter, same as this week, Exeter & Plymouth

After our magnificent 8 game unbeaten run which unfortunately came to an abrupt end at home to Stoke City we travel to the real St James Park to, fingers crossed, progress to the 5th round for the 1st time since 2018/19 season when we played & lost to Burton Albion at home

On the other hand Exeter, who sit on 17th place in league one, have gone through their worst run of the season, drawing with Lincoln on saturday ended a sequence of 6 defeats on the bounce, infact their only win in the 10 fixtures was the cup win over Luton, in their losing run they scored two goals & conceded 14 goals, maybe the players mind were on the cup run & playing the Boro would create club history if they were to win, but with both Boro & Exeter having respective runs ended at the weekend I really cant see anything but a Boro win, home cup matches & everything that goes with it I still think we'll be to strong for Exeter & no matter what team Michael Carrick puts out we'll be to stonng for them on the night

The Exeter cup tie will be the 17th time we've played in the league cup 4th round, all the way from our 1st 4th round tie when we won at Liverpool 1-0, November 1974, with a last minute Willie Maddren goal a Jim Platt saved a penalty & not forgetting big Jack picking up his OBE from the queen on the morning of the win at Anfield
In our 4th round history we have won 11 & lost 5, two of those wins came via penalty shoot outs

Exeter have played in this round only the once, way back in 1989, the good old days of English football, when the then 4th division Exeter held Sunderland to a 2-2 draw, only to lose the replay 5-2

Haven't got a clue what the team will look like though I expect Jones (keeper) Rogers, Gilbert, Silvera, Bangura, maybe Lenihen & possibly, Matt Clarke making a long awaited return to football
Played for both teams

Jon Gittens - Signed for the Boro on loan from Southampton in Feb 1991 when he became our 15th loaned player, he signed permantley the following summer for life in the 1st ever PL & between 1991-93 played 27 games, scoring one goal & so import goal. After elaving Boro he moved down to Devon 7 after playing for a couple of clubs signed for Exeter in 1998 - 2000 playing 82 games, scoring 4 goals

Neil Illman - Between 1992/93 played 6 games for the Boro, no goals, he signed for Exteter from  December 97 to March 98 on a non contract basis, playing 9 games, scoring 3 goals 
George Friend - Started his career at Exeter & between between 2005- 2008- he made 37 appearances, scoring the one goal. Signed for the Boro in 2012 making 299 appearances, scoring    10, leaving us in 2020 & what a player he was for us

Jonathan Grounds - Started his career at the Boro between 2007-11 he made 33 appearances, scoring one goal, his last journey in his career seen him sign for Exeter & between 2021/23 he played 33 games, scoring 3 goals

Tickets from past league cup Boro games

AtomicDog

Tricky one this Erimus, been thinking about it all day

So I'm going . . .

0-18

🐾
Why must I feel like that . . . Why must I chase the 🐈

RiversideRifle

UTB

erimus74

Quote from: RiversideRifle on October 30, 2023, 08:43:52 PM1-1 gents boro on pens

Just like our 2004 carling cup winning route

erimus74

teamboro

Sticking with 0-1 mighty Reds
TEESSIDER and Proud  of the area unlike some and I'm not a Racist

Smoggers51

Great memorabilia Erimus 👍.On the train to Exeter now .I'm going for 2 - 0 to us .UTB!!!

Mike Peeler

Another corker of a read Erimus...well done fella.

It has to be a Boro win - we can't blow a chance like tonight with a quarter-final at stake.

It's as good a tie as you could ask for - the lowest-ranked side.

3-0 Boro win for me. Wembley Wembley!

erimus74

Quote from: Smoggers51 on October 31, 2023, 06:50:08 AMGreat memorabilia Erimus 👍.On the train to Exeter now .I'm going for 2 - 0 to us .UTB!!!

Cheers Smoggers, safe journey 👍

erimus74

Quote from: Mike Peeler on October 31, 2023, 08:37:41 AMAnother corker of a read Erimus...well done fella.

It has to be a Boro win - we can't blow a chance like tonight with a quarter-final at stake.

It's as good a tie as you could ask for - the lowest-ranked side.

3-0 Boro win for me. Wembley Wembley!

Cheers Mike 👍

Johnny Thunder

LIDDLE_TOWERS999

EXETER 1 BORO 2

HEARD IT'S ON THE FIRESTICK 👍💪👍
GET WELL SOON STEVE G

erimus74

rutters

D'ya know Erimus, I'm really starting to look forward to your posts.

Keep it up Champ.

LIDDLE_TOWERS999

GET WELL SOON STEVE G

erimus74

Quote from: rutters on October 31, 2023, 09:24:45 AMD'ya know Erimus, I'm really starting to look forward to your posts.

Keep it up Champ.

Cheers rutters 👍

tunstall

Didn't know Gary Caldwell was their gaffer

LIDDLE_TOWERS999

GET WELL SOON STEVE G

LIDDLE_TOWERS999

GET WELL SOON STEVE G

erimus74

tunstall

teamboro

TEESSIDER and Proud  of the area unlike some and I'm not a Racist

Ural Quntz (Moderator)

How bad is Barlaser at defending?

Shocking.....

Westlane_rightwinger

Bein sports 4 FR

Barlaser a liability, again. Looking forward to  a time he is not in the squad. Always off the pace, no defensive or attacking prowess. Weak in everything he does. Who ever decided signing was a good idea got it horribly wrong. We must have a youth team player who offers more ?