Boro v Blackburn match thread

Started by erimus74, September 14, 2023, 05:24:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

erimus74

Real football is back  :carrick4:

This weekends match v Blackburn will be our 3rd away league game of the season, we're still looking to win our 1st points on the road, our previous 2 games ave seen us score just the 2 goals, Latte & a Forss penalty, our 137th away penalty & 406th in total, while Deing has had to pick the ball out of the net, seven times, not a good start, but not the worst as has been mentioned in parts of the media

Have we been unlucky, no for me, we've got what we deserved, sloppy, awful defending leading to some terrible goals to concede, resulting in the Boro finding themselves at the foot of the league & almost 12 months after finding ourselves in a similar position

Blackburn sit 13th in the Championship with 7 points, scoring 6 & conceding 8, so not a tall task for the Boro, but every game, no matter where the opposition sit in the table will be difficult if we don't stop conceding silly goals & fail to capitalise on good scoring opportunities. Latte is getting in to the right positions to score, but needs to have a bit more composure when facing one on one with the keeper, hopefully he can show a bit more confidence in himself & put away the chances when they come his way, which I think he will

Hopefully Michael Carrick has used the boring international break to our advantage & we see a different team from the one that's holding up the rest of the championship, apparently, there were some stats in the media saying only Leicester City have more shots on goals on goal than the Boro, amazing considering the difference in league positions, get it right & we could pull ourselves away from the wrong end of the table, but stats don't win games, or get you points

I can see both O'Brien & Greenwood starting on Saturday, whether O'Brien is to replace Howson, which could see Lenihan, if fit, return to Ewood Park wearing the captains armband, or play alongside both him & Hackney, time will tell, Greenwood in for Rogers for me, fingers crossed Forss is back after an illness v QPR

One game away to Blackburn that is still looked at today with split reactions, happened 26 years ago, the controversial not turning up at Ewood Park for a PL fixture, some say the club never really got over that ill fated decision to not travel due to sickness & injuries within the club at the time, the calibre players we were allegedly going to sign the following summer blew us fans away, but not going cost us 3 points & relegation

Robbie Mustoe doesn't hold back with his thoughts 
"I still feel very strongly about that," said Robbie Mustoe when I spoke to him for my book, The Little Fella: How Middlesbrough fell in love with Juninho. "The relegation I had with Lennie Lawrence in 1993, I get that, we weren't really ready & I had a lot of injuries."That's one relegation on my record, but I won't have the 1997 relegation on my record because that was nothing to do with me."If we'd have played the Blackburn game & lost 10-0, we'd have still stayed up by one point."There's a lot of anger at the decision not to play that game."We could have put a team out, but ultimately that cost us our place in the Premier League."

1st  September 1902 - Our 1st away  fixture v Blackburn, Boro winning 1-0 with an Alex Robertson goal

This will be our 73rd away fixture v Blackburn  with the following record
Won - 14
Drew - 20
Lost - 38
Goals scored - 80
Goals against - 137

3 away hat tricks v Blackburn

29/11/1947 - 1st divison - Blackburn 1 Boro 7 - James Cecil McCormack became the 27th different hat trick goalscorer when he notched his 2nd Boro hat trick & the clubs 12th away hat trick
21/11/1989  - 2nd divison - Blackburn 2 Boro 4 -  Alan Kernaghan  became the 46th different hat trick goalscorer when he notched his only Boro hat trick & the clubs 30th away hat trick
16/10/2004 - PL - Blackburn 0 Boro 4 - Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink became the 54th different hat trick goalscorer when he notched his only Boro hat trick & the clubs 37th away hat trick

Away debuts v Blackburn

1/09/1902 - Robert McFarlane GK away won 1-0 becoming our 6th 1st team keeper
1/09/1902 - W MacAuley away won 1-0
1/09/1902 - John Muir away won 1-0
24/11/1915 - Hugh Caig away lost 4-0 he becams the 19th player to make one appearance & never to be seen again in Boro's 1st team
3/9/1919 - Reuben Butler away drew 2-2 scored on his debut
21/3/1936 - Norman Highman away drew 2-2
30/11/1957 - Ray Henderson away drew 3-3
30/11/1991 - Andy Peake away lost 2-1
3/4/1999 - Keith O'Neil away drew 0-0

Away converted penalties v Blacburn Rovers (according to my stats)

5/3/1910 - RT Young - Our 13th
10/2/1913 - John Carr - Our 16th
11/10/1967 - John Hickton - Our 1st league cup penalty & 66th
30/11/1991 - Bernie Slaven - Our 91st
30/12/2006 - Yakubu - Our 108th

A few players who played for both teams

Stuart Ripley
Stewart Downing
Darren Lenihan
Marvin Emnes
Jordon Rhodes
Daniel Ayala
Shay Given
Danny Graham
Harry Chapman
Ruddy Gestede

Mogga managed both tems

John Coddington played for Blackbun, he actually scored an OG for us when playing for Blackburn in 1968 at Ayresome Park, he coached with Bradford City before joining the Boro set-up, where he worked with the likes of John Neal, Bobby Murdoch & Malcolm Allison, he also had a spell as assistant to Jack Charlton

Boro fact  - 2 totally different away results v Blackburn

Our joint biggest  away win &  our record defeat against Blackburn Rovers

29th November 1947 - when the mighty Boro won 7-1 at Blackburn

16th November 1954 -  We were stuffed 9-0 our heaviest record defeat

In With the Lurpak

If they put as much effort in as you do with these Erimus they could scrape a 2 - 1 win .. Rovers 1 - 2 Boro

tunstall

teamboro

Great read Erimus again that no show is still like a wond that won't heal especially when we were critical of one person that been Keith Lamb who took the blame instead of Gibson who actually made the call to call off the match and Keith took the flack

Anyway back to Saturday

1-1 Boro still waiting for our first 3 points of the season
TEESSIDER and Proud  of the area unlike some and I'm not a Racist

Bud Wiser

If Carrick sticks with this failing one-dimensional nonsense its safe to say Blackburn will definately score.
If he doesn't start with O'Brien in his midfield then its equally safe to say Blackburn will definately win.
SAMMY AMEOBI - CAN I HAVE YOUR SHIRT PLEASE

erimus74

Quote from: MrCrocket on September 14, 2023, 06:21:54 PMIf they put as much effort in as you do with these Erimus they could scrape a 2 - 1 win .. Rovers 1 - 2 Boro

Cheers McCrocket 👍

erimus74

Quote from: teamboro on September 14, 2023, 08:22:57 PMGreat read Erimus again that no show is still like a wond that won't heal especially when we were critical of one person that been Keith Lamb who took the blame instead of Gibson who actually made the call to call off the match and Keith took the flack

Anyway back to Saturday

1-1 Boro still waiting for our first 3 points of the season

Cheers teamboro

erimus74

Quote from: Bud Wiser on September 14, 2023, 08:32:43 PMIf Carrick sticks with this failing one-dimensional nonsense its safe to say Blackburn will definately score.
If he doesn't start with O'Brien in his midfield then its equally safe to say Blackburn will definately win.

I totally agree Bud Wiser

I will go as far to say the team he inherited were playing below their ability to get Wilder sacked & once MC came in with his nice style of passing football the whole group bought into it, now he has to tinker with his formation, style, because at present we're to soft in defence, to weak in midfield & unable to capitalise upfront, if things dont change Gibbo will listen to disgruntled fans

I really hope he turns it around, for the sake of the club we want, no need, a manager who can stay here for a good while, stop this manager merry goround

LIDDLE_TOWERS999

ROVERS 3 BORO 1

🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄
GET WELL SOON STEVE G

Mike Peeler

Cracking in-depth write-up on the lad's history with Blackburn Erimus - well-done fella.

I'm starting to twitch and not helped by this next run of fixtures.

That said I'm sticking with him and hoping for a turnaround.

We need wins but I will settle for a draw on Saturday if it proves to be the start of a building block of positive results.

0-1 To Boro. :leo1:

Johnny Thunder

erimus74

Quote from: Mike Peeler on September 15, 2023, 08:39:12 AMCracking in-depth write-up on the lad's history with Blackburn Erimus - well-done fella.

I'm starting to twitch and not helped by this next run of fixtures.

That said I'm sticking with him and hoping for a turnaround.

We need wins but I will settle for a draw on Saturday if it proves to be the start of a building block of positive results.

0-1 To Boro. :leo1:

Cheers Mike 👍

Gboro64

Great write up Erimus. I was at Ewood Park when Kerny scored the hat trick 4-2 win of I'm not mistaken.
We generally don't do well against Rovers and I remember Simon Eastwood ( Pictured on one of your program covers) playing a blinder in goal against us in a defeat at the Riverside.
Unfortunately I think 2-1 defeat. Hope I'm wrong

John Trebor

I hope the new left back and O'brien both start.
I feel quietly confident we can get our first win.
2-3

Ural Quntz (Moderator)

I'll never forget that penna we should have had when TLF was brought down in the 3 points season

erimus74

Quote from: Ural Quntz (Moderator) on September 15, 2023, 06:09:26 PMI'll never forget that penna we should have had when TLF was brought down in the 3 points season

Yep, 100% penalty

erimus74

Southampton lost 4-1 at home to Leicester tonight, conceding after 22 seconds, 9 goals in 2 games

Could be a new manager when they play their next game, mmm wonder who thats against 🤔

RiversideRifle

A nervy 1-2 tomorrow 👍👍👍👍
UTB

borope

Quote from: erimus74 on September 15, 2023, 10:11:51 PMSouthampton lost 4-1 at home to Leicester tonight, conceding after 22 seconds, 9 goals in 2 games

Could be a new manager when the y play their next games, mmm wonder who thats against 🤔

Russell Martin was getting pelters at Swansea early last season. Likes his teams to pass pass pass and no end product. He wont be at Southampton long.

Mike Peeler

That's the thing when you come down get off to a bad start and you are often gone in October before or during the next break.

A good solid club Southampton, and like us and many others maybe just maybe they've had their day out in the sun. So could be joining the queue of clubs wanting back in the big-time. They need to be careful. That said they get a few goos with the parachute money of three years.

I had them down to go up as well.

Mike Peeler

Putton on Sky has us down for a two-nil defeat today.

They will be piss all over this board and fly me if he is correct in his prediction.  :rav:

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/34681/11938403/sky-bet-championship-predictions-burnley-and-sheffield-united-to-continue-promotion-march

Gingerpig

Will settle for a 0-0, we need to keep a few clean sheets

I fear in reality a 2-1 defeat

LIDDLE_TOWERS999

WILL PUT THE TEAM UP AT 2 O CLOCK 👍💪💪💪👍
GET WELL SOON STEVE G