Boro v QPR match thread

Started by erimus74, September 01, 2023, 08:15:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

erimus74

After our welcomed 3-1 midweek away league cup win at Bolton, 2nd win of the season, hopefully this will give the Boro a bit of a confidence boost going in to our final league game before the boring, boring international break when, fingers crossed, we can claim our 1st three points of the season & dare I say it, a cleansheet, with just the one league point to our name so far this season its vitally important we get the three points to claw ourselves away out of the bottom 3 

At this moment we've signed 2 players in Sam Greenwood & Lewis O'Brien but not too sure if they'll figure in to the starting eleven, or on the bench, but one player looking forward to this fixture is our No1 keeper, Sammy Deing, signed in the summer from QPR 

1st February 1913 -  Our 1st ever home fixture v QPR an FAC 2nd round cup tie which Boro won 3-2 with a brace from George Elliott & one from Edmund Eyre

It will be the 31st meeting between both teams on Teesside with the following record 
Won - 16
Drew - 4
Lost  - 10
Goals scored - 49
Goals against - 38

18th March 1972 - Pat Lynch, who we signed from Cliftonville in June 1970, was the 1st Boro player to make a sub appearance then never feature again for the Boro when he replaced David Mills late in the 2nd half in our 1-0 defeat away to QPR

27th October 2010 - Barry Robson scored 2 penalties at home to QPR in a 2-0 league win , this was the 4th time 2 converted penalties in the same game had happened at the Riverside & 14th time in our history
It was also the 1st time in our history that we had done a league double over QPR

Only the one hat trick v QPR

26th September 1970 John Hickton became the 39th different hat trick goalscorer when he scored his 4th Boro hat trick, our 79th at Ayresome Park, 83rd home & 111 in total

Boro debuts v QPR

Pat Lynch 18/2/1972 away lost 1-0 - The 1st Boro player to make a sub appearance & never play again
Billy Woof 23/11/1974 home lost 3-1
Alan Walsh 1/4/1978 away lost 1-0
Robbie Stockdale 13/1/1997 home 2-0
Mikael Tavaras 11/9/2010 away lost 3-0
Maxmillian Hass 26/2/2011 home lost 3-0
Chubba Akpom 26/9/2020 away 1-1 - Scored

October 1982 - Since the dismissal of Bobby Murdoch, Harold Shepherdson had been in temporary charge for 3 games, leading up to the QPR game, resulting in 2 draws & a win, our best unbeaten run since Feb/March last season & sort of brought a bit of stability back to the team

With the Boro playing with more confidence, though still sitting in the bottom 3 & managerless Boro chairman Mike McCullock turned to his good friend Malcolm Allison to come in & rescue us from what looks like  a 2nd consecutive relegation fight, fortunately, big Mal accepted the challenge & became our 21st manager when he was paraded infront of the Ayresome Park faithful before the QPR game, then took his place in the directors box

Top of the league QPR arrived at Ayresome Park full of confidence & this showed when soon enough Boro found themselves trailing when  Allen put the Londoners in front & with us not having
the best of records recently against our visitors it looked as though its going to be a long afternoon, but our 2nd highest crowd of the season, 7,892, an increase of 2300 fans up on our previous home game were in for a treat as the mighty Boro come from a goal down to not only equalise through our talisman Heine Otto but to go in front when Irving Nattrass scored our 2nd goal from the penalty spot to become the 48th different Boro penalty scorer & the clubs 183 successful penalty

With massive cheers around the ground the ref blew the whistle & against the odds, the Boro had won the game,  a great result against a team we rarely do well against at Ayresome Park,  August 1971 was the last time we had beaten QPR on Teesside also, you had to go back to Jan/Feb 1981 to the last time we won back to back home games

I liked big Mals time at the Boro

Some players who played for Boro & QPR

Sammy Deing
Dave Thomas
Don Masson
John O'Rourke
Billy Birrell - Boro captain in 1926/27 when Camsell smashed in 59 goals
Albert Adomah
Emmaunel Ledesma
Grant Hall
Jonathan Hugil

Terry Venables & Neil Warnock has managed both teams

Our 1st 3 games agaisnt QPR were in the FAC, wiining 2 & drawing one, we have since met them 4 more times in the FAC, winning one, drawing two & losing one
We have also played QPR in the 1st (now PL), 2nd (the Championship) & 3rd divison (now 1st divison)

Redsteel (Moderator)

4-1 Boro. Confidence from the 2nd half at Bolton and the new signings will see off QPR.

Johnny Thunder

BoroRedKen

TeessideTopgun

Well done again Erimus , amount of work you put in to these threads is nothing short of amazing , how long before Sky Sports come calling ??

The 6-2 game is one I will always remember 👍 UTB

erimus74

Quote from: TeessideTopgun on September 01, 2023, 09:12:47 AMWell done again Erimus , amount of work you put in to these threads is nothing short of amazing , how long before Sky Sports come calling ??

The 6-2 game is one I will always remember 👍 UTB

Cheers TT, 🍻👍

LIDDLE_TOWERS999

BORO LIONS 2 HOOPS 1 😁😁😁😁😁😁😁💪
GET WELL SOON STEVE G

TommyDickfingers

Great nostalgia Erimus.

Little known fact - when I was younger and would wear football kits to play footie with my mates, the only other teams strip I ever had apart from Boro and England was QPR and can I fuck remember why.

For that reason I'll go with Mighty Lions 6 Fruit Loop Hoops 3

Blott

The 6 2 Game my mam gave me money to sit down as I wasn't feeling too well. Walked from Berwick Hills through Grove Hill to AP and back.

Got home, she rings the doctors ( those were the days) from the phone outside the Newcastle House, he turns up and off to hospital for 10 days with appendix out. She went chuffin wild with me for not telling her the truth. I said it was a cold.

tunstall

In With the Lurpak

LIDDLE_TOWERS999

I WILL BE IN SCHIPOL AIRPORT TOMORROW ABOUT 1 PM... FLY TO BANGKOK ABOUT 5PM... IF I CAN GET A GOOD WI FI SIGNAL I WILL POST THE TEAM 👍💪💪💪👍😎🌞🇹🇭 U.T.F.B. 😉🍺🍺🍺
GET WELL SOON STEVE G

Blott

Had me thinking about life's changes. We were 8 or 9 when a few of us walked to AP. Today the parents would get locked up

tunstall

Quote from: LIDDLE_TOWERS999 (MODERATOR) on September 01, 2023, 06:40:38 PMI WILL BE IN SCHIPOL AIRPORT TOMORROW ABOUT 1 PM... FLY TO BANGKOK ABOUT 5PM... IF I CAN GET A GOOD WI FI SIGNAL I WILL POST THE TEAM 👍💪💪💪👍😎🌞🇹🇭 U.T.F.B. 😉🍺🍺🍺

Free WiFi there mate

You going to Murphy's?

LIDDLE_TOWERS999

Quote from: tunstall on September 01, 2023, 07:18:21 PM
Quote from: LIDDLE_TOWERS999 (MODERATOR) on September 01, 2023, 06:40:38 PMI WILL BE IN SCHIPOL AIRPORT TOMORROW ABOUT 1 PM... FLY TO BANGKOK ABOUT 5PM... IF I CAN GET A GOOD WI FI SIGNAL I WILL POST THE TEAM 👍💪💪💪👍😎🌞🇹🇭 U.T.F.B. 😉🍺🍺🍺

Free WiFi there mate

You going to Murphy's?

WILL DO 👍🍺🍺🍺👍💪
GET WELL SOON STEVE G

erimus74

Forgot to post these, taken from my 1977/78 scrapbook, I cant recall the powercuts back in november 1977

teamboro

Great read Erimus as usual

Might Reds 2-0 Hoops must win game
TEESSIDER and Proud  of the area unlike some and I'm not a Racist

tunstall

Quote from: LIDDLE_TOWERS999 (MODERATOR) on September 01, 2023, 07:54:00 PM
Quote from: tunstall on September 01, 2023, 07:18:21 PM

Free WiFi there mate

You going to Murphy's?

WILL DO 👍🍺🍺🍺👍💪

You'll get a decent breakfast in there an all

Blott

That terminal downstairs for UK flights is miserable.

erimus74

Quote from: teamboro on September 01, 2023, 08:27:59 PMGreat read Erimus as usual

Might Reds 2-0 Hoops must win game

Cheers teamboro 👍

erimus74

Quote from: TommyDickfingers on September 01, 2023, 10:23:30 AMGreat nostalgia Erimus.

Little known fact - when I was younger and would wear football kits to play footie with my mates, the only other teams strip I ever had apart from Boro and England was QPR and can I fuck remember why.

For that reason I'll go with Mighty Lions 6 Fruit Loop Hoops 3

Cheers Tomny 🍻

tunstall

Quote from: Blott on September 01, 2023, 08:58:38 PMThat terminal downstairs for UK flights is miserable.

D6?

Not when you're almost home from a long work trip it isn't

I'll be there a week on Saturday grinning like a fucking idiot

Blott

That's it. I went through it every month.

tunstall

It's rough there, but it's the final leg of the journey home so I'm always happy to see it

John Trebor

Thanks Erimus, good stuff.

My only real memory of QPR games are the two FA Cup games in 82.
First FA Cup game on a plastic pitch I think. I remember leaning over the wall to feel it. It was horrible, like twisted elastic bands. Must have knacked.
Bobby Bloody Thomson scored our goal in the 1-1 draw and then missed a penalty in the 3-2 replay defeat.