Coventry City v Boro match thread

Started by erimus74, August 10, 2023, 06:42:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

erimus74

Both Boro & Coventry come in to this fixture after losing their opening game of the season, Boro losing at home to Millwall, while Coventry lost 2-1 away to Leicester
Boro travel to Ricoh stadium, hopefully, fingers crossed, to make amends with  the team who ended our promotion hopes last season when winning at the Riverside in the playoff semi final 2nd leg

1st November 1924  - Coventry 2 Boro 2  - The 1st time we faced Coventry

This will be the 27th fixture Boro have played away at Coventry with the following record
Won  - 6
Drew - 7
Lost - 13 
Goals scored - 27
Goals against -  39

We've played Coventry in various competitions over the years

The old 1st divison, before the PL days
Premier League
Old League division two - before named the championship
League Championship
FAC
League cup
Simod Cup
Barbadous cup losing 2-1 (1989)

2nd March 2021 - Last time we won away to Coventry  - Played during covid,  behind closed doors at Birmingham City FC's  ground
After 11 minutes Dijksteel scored an OG, Grant Hall scored his 1st Boro goal when equalising in the 41st minute & with 3 minutes remaining, George Saville scored the winner

Only the one hat trick v Coventry City

1st October 1988 - Bernie Slaven became the 44th different Boro player to score a hat trick when he scored his 4th HT in a 1st division fixture & our 29th away HT at Highfield road, our 122nd in total & our 1st top flight HT since 29th November 1947 when Cecil McCormack bagged 3 goals

15TH August 1992 - The 1st ever season of the PL seen the Boro & Coventry go head to head in the opening day of the brand new season, brand new era Boro travelled to Coventry with high hopes after manager Lennie Lawrence had steered the mighty Boro to a great campaign the previous season in the league & cups & an unbelievable last day victory at Wolves seen us finish runners up to Ipswich Town & join 21 other clubs for the inaugural season of the PL
Paul Wilkinson has the honour of scoring our 1st ever PL goal, unfortunately we lost the game 2-1

15th April 2000 Christian Ziege scored Boro's only penalty success against Coventry when scoring our only goal in a 2-1 away defeat

Debuts v Coventry City

1/11/1924 - Donald Ashman away drew 2-2
21/8/1876 - Graham Hedley home won 1-0
19/8/1978 - Jim Stewart home lost 2-1 - Our 39th used Goalkeeper
21/4/1981 - Keith Nobbs home lost 1-0 - Our 44th player to play only the one 1st team game
15/8/1992 - Chris Morris away lost 2-1 - 1st ever PL
15/8/1992 - Derek Whyte away lost 2-1 - 1st ever PL
15/8/1992 - Tommy Wright away lost 2-1 - 1st ever PL
19/8/2000 - Christian Karembeu away won 3-1
19/8/2000 - Allen Boxsic away won 3-1 - Scored 2 on his debut
19/8/2000 - Joseph Desire Job away won 3-1 - Scored on his debut
19/8/2000 - Noel Whelan away won 3-1
19/8/2000 - Paul Okan away won 3-1
25/4/2009 - Ben Gibson home won 2-1
11/9/2021 - Onel Hernandez away lost 2-0 - 101st loaned player - Loaned from Norwich City - 68th at the Riverside
11/9/2021 - Andrea Sporar away lost 2-0 - 102nd loaned player - Loaned from Sporting CP - 69th at the Riverside
11/9/2021 - James Lea Siliki away lost 2-0 - 103rd loaned player - Loaned from Remmes - 70th at the Riverside

A few players who played for both team

Kenneth McPherson (1953-56) 33 games, 15 goals

Peter Taylor  - Our 27th goalkeeper played 146 games (1955-61)

Ian Gibson - Played for the Boro from 1962-66, signing for Coventry in 66 for a club record fee for Coventry of £57k, he helped the Sky Blues win the Second Division title in his first season, including helping Coventry qualify for Europe after they finished sixth in the top-flight in 1970

John O'Rouke - Boro - 72 games, 42 goals (1966-68) Coventry 54 games, 17 goals (1969-71)

Craig Hignett Boro (1993 - 1998)had an 8 game loan spell there back in 2002

George Boateng - 1998-99 - 46 games, 5 goals for Coventry
Boro - 223 games, 9 goals (2002-2008)

Dean Gordon Boro 71 games, 5 goals (1998-2002)

John Eustace - 32nd loaned player - Loaned from Coventry,  wearing the No27 shirt he came on for the final 2 minutes away to Liverpool & was booked - 10th loanee at the Riverside - (8th Feb 2003)

Noel Whelan - Boro signed Whelan from the Sky Blues for £2.2million going on to make 61 appearances across three seasons with the Boro, scoring 5 goals. (2000-2008) He also scored an own goal against the Sky Blues on his 26th birthday   

Alex Nimely - (2011) Shocking for us, 9 games, zero goals, signs on loan for Coventry & on his debut, scores his only 1st team goal in 17 appearance, City won 1-0

Lukas Jutkiewicz - 53rd loaned player - Loaned from Coventry & after one appearence signed permantely - 31st at the Riverside (2012-14)

Dimitrios Konstantopoulos (2014 -19)

Managed both teams

Tony Mowbray (2010-14) & Gordon Stracham (2009-2010)

tunstall

Basically.....we've got a shite record against them and it'll be a fucking miracle if we get anything there at the weekend....

Francks left peg

I quite liked Noel Whelan when he was at Boro. Another top class thread @erimus74

LIDDLE_TOWERS999

3-1 TO THE SKY BLUE CUNTS 😡😡😡
GET WELL SOON STEVE G

erimus74

Quote from: tunstall on August 10, 2023, 07:14:31 PMBasically.....we've got a shite record against them and it'll be a fucking miracle if we get anything there at the weekend....

In a nutshell yes, 😔

But on the positive side, we sold Ian Gibson to Coventry in the mid 60's, who my referred to as the Juninho back then & I was lucky to have met him twice, shared a drink with him at former players reunions

erimus74

Im sticking my head out here, 3-1 to the mighty Boro

teamboro

Great read Erimus

Coventry 1-1 mighty Reds

TEESSIDER and Proud  of the area unlike some and I'm not a Racist

Johnny Thunder

Excellent post Erimus.

I'm going 2-0

:unbelievable:

Redsteel (Moderator)

Nice post Erimus. More pain for us I'm afraid, we aren't good enough. 4-0 Sky Blues.

erimus74

Hopefully this is the game, infront of the sky cameras, against the very team that ended our hopes & broke our hearts that we show up & kick on, Silvera has done enough to start, Forss to play in the strikets role with Rodgers sitting in a deeper role

Ive mentioned on here a few times that I wasnt concerned that Carrick would jump ship, hes in a very long list of managers that have had a big impact in their debut in the dugout only to fall away, as good as his playing career was & after last seadons excellent showing hes starting again for me & needs to prove it wasnt a one off, hopefully he shoes us hes a top manager in waiting

Time will tell

3-1 to the mighty Boro, Silvera to score, Jobes to shine ☀️🤞

Johnny Thunder

TommyDickfingers

Really tough game this, Coventry are a very good side at the Ricoh so it will be nip & tuck in my opinion.

With that in mind I'd be happy with -

Sky Blues 1  Mighty Boro 6

erimus74

Quote from: TommyDickfingers on August 11, 2023, 01:46:07 PMReally tough game this, Coventry are a very good side at the Ricoh so it will be nip & tuck in my opinion.

With that in mind I'd be happy with -

Sky Blues 1  Mighty Boro 6

😁

Ural Quntz (Moderator)

Hamer destroyed us last year so good news

I can't see other than the same score as last season but at least I won't have had to travel all that way.

We might at least get some effort instead of that from 'Wilders Revenge' game squad

Mike Peeler

Tough one to call this one - I will go with the heart and a Boro win but sadly not with confidence.

The first team to score will win the game is my overall prediction. So the will be no comeback from us if they get the first goal :rav:

I'd like to see Jones and Silvera on the flanks with Forss up front, but do think Carrick will stick with Rodgers so we might see Jones and, Silvera.

AtomicDog

Well done young Erimus 🐾

2-1 to the mighty Boro
Why must I feel like that . . . Why must I chase the 🐈

LIDDLE_TOWERS999

IF COVENTRY PLAY AS WELL AS AT LEICESTER THEY WILL BEAT US 😔😔😔

GET WELL SOON STEVE G

Gingerpig

Aside from Silvera , not a lot to get excited about, but its early days , goals however are our problem , sadly a 1-0 where they kick the shit out of us like Play off here

erimus74

Johnny Howson just gets better with age

LIDDLE_TOWERS999

FORSS MCGREE HOWSON ON THE BENCH 👎😡👎
GET WELL SOON STEVE G

erimus74

Well this could come back & bite me on the backside but no Howson & Forss with Rodgers who looked like a fish out of water & Crooks as our No10

Others just fit in to the team, as its their rightful position & until we get an adequate replacement for Howson, then he's a 100% starter for me

Dont like the look of that team one bit, but then I'm just a fan whose never played the game, still have an opinion mind, unless on another forum

erimus74

Yes you can make a case for McGree been on the bench, he ran down alot of blind alleys v Millwall, though scored a good goal v Huddersfield, but for me, Forss should be upfront with Rodgers in at No10 instead of Crooks

LIDDLE_TOWERS999

NO GOALS IN THAT FIRST 11 👎👎👎
GET WELL SOON STEVE G