25th May 88 - 2 years after almost going out of existence, what a transformation

Started by erimus74, May 25, 2024, 08:30:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

erimus74

Incredible scenes, winning promotion to the top flight & relegating Chelsea

One of the proudest moments of my time following the mighty Boro

Just 24 months previous, our darkest hour as a football club, we were facing the possibility of not having a football league team at all, the Boro went in to voluntary liquidation, within hours of going out of existence & now here we stand 90 minutes away from reaching the top league, Division one, what a transformation, a football miracle

In the face of adversity, Middlesbrough Football Club, with a team of mainly young local lads, who were minutes away from losing everything, have put one foot in the 1st division by beating 1st division wide boys Chelsea 2-0 in the 1st leg playoff final at Ayresome Park.
3 days later & on this beautiful baking hot day 1988, us fans who had to run the gauntlet from our cars to the ground watched a team of legends, led by Boro legend Tony Mowbray, facing a hostile atmosphere at Stamford bridge
With 10,000 Boro fans behind the Boro anything was possible, we were made of something special, we didn't buckle, every player done his job & more, Bernie nearly scored, he should have scored, Chelsea did score, Pat Nevin with his trickery was a constant threat but Colin Cooper done his job against Nevin, Pally & Mogga dealt with everything that came in to the box & Parky was always on hand to clean up too, they pulled a goal back on the day to take the score to 2-1 on aggregate but that was as close as they got to securing their top flight status, the Boro running out winners over the two games & relegating the Londoners 

When the ref blew the whistle, Boro were up, Chelsea were relegated, their fans invaded the pitch, once all the chavs were booted out of the ground the Boro & their fans celebrated
Players throw their shirts in to the fans, Gary Parkinson was asked if he was going to his, his reply was, no I want to keep mine as a lasting memory

Dark day we go through are rich rewards for days like this day, special days

Years later when my kids were born & old enough to go to Boro games with their proud Boro mad dad I told them, once they break your heart they have you for life & to this day, I really believe that to be true

One more time, Bruce Rioch red & white army

Boro team

Stephen Pears
Gary Parkinson
Colin Cooper
Tony Mowbray
Gary Hamilton
Gary Pallister
Bernie Slaven
Stuart Ripley
Trevor Senior
Paul Kerr
Dean Glover

UTMB - erimus

TerryCochranesSocks

It was a marvellous time to follow the Boro after such heartbreak.
Brilliant stuff Erimus.

:bigjack