Middlesbrough v Bristol City match thread

Started by erimus74, February 07, 2024, 09:36:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

erimus74

Next up Bristol City

City who are currently 2 places below Boro in the Championship, with 3 points between us both, although Boro still have a game in hand over them, arrive at the Riverside for hopefully our first home league win this year, law of averages, fingers crossed, it must come sometime, Saturday I hope

Our 1st league win of the year should have came last Sunday, but poor defending & a lack of concentration from our keeper let the mackems back in the game, not deserved in my opinion, but there you go, that's football

Hopefully we see McGree return & how good will it be to see his name on the teamsheet

Jones? Latte Lath? Forss? who knows, our injury just continues to grow from week to week

These games between us & City at Ayresome Park use to almost guarantee a home win, since we moved to the Riverside, not so. I remember two seasons running at the Riverside we lost at home to them & a certain Albert Adomah scored in both games, now he was some player for us

My team - Glover will keep his place, with Dieng on the bench, VDB to continue in his rightful position alongside Fry with Engel & Ayling
Hackney & Barlasar
With McGree, Azaz, Forss (fingers & toes crossed if fit) & with no one else available, although he had a very good game v Sunderland, Greenwood

Jones can't come back soon enough, his pace was missed so much against Sunderland that we can see how valuable he is for the way we play

19th April 1902 – First meeting on Teesside Boro 2 Bristol City 0 – 2nd division – Our 1st ever promotion season

Boro v Bristol City fixture will be the 43rd fixture on Teesside between the 2 teams with the following record:
Won - 24
Drew - 10
Lost - 8
Goals scored - 71
Goals against - 36

We've done the double over City in 3 seasons

1928/29, 1970/71 & 1994/95

2 home hat tricks v Bristol City

13/2/1960 Brian Clough scored his 9th hat trick, the clubs 71st at Ayresome Park, 75th on Teesside & 93rd in total when the Boro beat City 6-3

4/3/1995 Uwe Fuchs scored his only Boro hat trick, the 93rd & final hat trick ay Ayrseome Park, 97th on Teesside & 132 nd in total when beating City 3-0

Home debut/last appearance v Bristol City

19/4/1902 - Reginald Williamson, who went on to become Boro's record appearance of 602 games between 1902-1923, made his debut after moving from Redcar Crusaders this month
John Brearley made his final appearance before moving to Everton this month
James Tennant made his final appearance before moving to Watford in June - won 2-0

9/11/1907 - Billy Brawn made his final appearance before moving to Chelsea this month – lost 2-0

20/4/1910 - James Thackeray made his final appearance before moving to Bradford Park Avenue this year
20/4/1910 - Robert Young made his final appearance before moving to Everton in June – drew 0-0

5/3/1966 - Alexander Smith made his debut after joining as a junior – won 4-2

11/5/1968 - Stanley Webb made a goalscoring debut after joining as a junior when he notched a brace – won 2-1

8/1/1972 - John Stone made his final of 2 appearance before moving to York City in July – won 1-0

29/9/1973 – Bobby Murdoch, who made his Boro debut the Tuesday before scored the 1st goal on his home debut as we beat, then top of the table, Bristol City 2-0 to go joint top, a position we remained in for the duration of the season

7/3/1987 - David Hodgson who made his 2nd & final appearance after been sent off returning to Norwich City after loan period expired – won 1-0

6/4/1991 - Colin Walsh, our 1st loanee goalscorer, made his final appearance before returning to Charlton Athletic after loan period expired – won 2-1

23/11/1991 – Record signing Andrew Payton made a goalscoring debut after 3 minutes moving from Hull City this month – won 3-1

Home penalties v Bristol City

17/4/1910 - Goalkeeper Reginald Garnet 'Tiny' Wiliamson became the 10th different Boro penalty goalscorer & the only Boro keeper who has scored goals for Boro in a 1st team match, one which was at home to Bristol City converting penalty in a 3-0 win, the club's 13th penalty

15/12/1928 – Billy Pease became the 21st different penalty goalscorer when he scored the clubs 51st at home to Bristol City in a 3-1 win

27/4/1929 – Billy Pease scored the Boro's 56th penalty in a 1-0 win

3/12/1968 – John Hickton became the clubs 43rd different penalty goalscorer when he scored the clubs 155th in a 4-1 win

13/2/2007 FAC 4th round replay Boro won 5-4 on penalties after extra time - 1-1 at 90 minutes

Penalty shoot-out details (Middlesbrough went second)
1 - Stewart Downing [scored]
2 - Mark Viduka [scored]
3 - Fabio Rochemback [scored]
4 - Abel Xavier [scored]
5 - Ayegbeni Yakubu [missed]
6 - Adam Johnson [scored]

Represented both clubs:

Dickie Rooks
Albert Adomah
Neil Maddison
Lee Tomlin
Tomas Kalas
Gary O'Neil
Aden Flint
Matthew Bates
Andrea Bikey
Terry Cooper - Played & later managed Bristol City
Nigel Pearson - played for Boro & managed Bristol City

erimus74

As I was writing the Sunderland & now the Bristol City match day threads I got a bit down, not at the results against these teams but how quick time has gone & where
I post a ticket, programme, match report & realise it decades ago, frightening how quick time has flown, even looking at early matches at the Riverside & we've been there 29 years now, crazy

Then our Kev & our dad, two great, special people in my life, massive Boro fans, who are no longer with us, the 3 of us enjoyed so much going to games that Boro could throw at us, gone

Football is our passion, Boro & memories are for life

Nosmo-King

Erimus, what a wonderful post you've written. From the heart and encapsulated how both the Boro and your dearly departed relatives are so closely matched. Brought a lump to my throat.

Blott

Fantastic stuff. How you do it I don't know but that is outstanding.

teamboro

Great write up again Erimus it's sad looking back especially when it involves family you had the privilege Erimus

We are shit at home need to correct it hard fought 1-0 win to the Mighty Reds this tide at home needs turning
TEESSIDER and Proud  of the area unlike some and I'm not a Racist

erimus74

Quote from: Nosmo-King on February 08, 2024, 01:42:11 AMErimus, what a wonderful post you've written. From the heart and encapsulated how both the Boro and your dearly departed relatives are so closely matched. Brought a lump to my throat.

Cheers Nosmo-king, those feelings just come to me writing those two threads & TBH, it could relate to any of us who have match day memories growing up & lost people along the way, Im fine this  morning, just glad I have such memories.
Sorry, it wasnt meant to come across as a sympathy post, theyre people who are really struggling out there at the moment

erimus74

Quote from: Blott on February 08, 2024, 02:57:08 AMFantastic stuff. How you do it I don't know but that is outstanding.

Cheeers Blotty lad

erimus74

Quote from: teamboro on February 08, 2024, 06:52:15 AMGreat write up again Erimus it's sad looking back especially when it involves family you had the privilege Erimus

We are shit at home need to correct it hard fought 1-0 win to the Mighty Reds this tide at home needs turning
Cheers teamboro, yes our home record this season has been poor
When you think everythng hss been against us this season that IF we were to claim that last spkt we MUST surely break our wembley hoodoo

Losing 40 plus goalscorers before the season kicked off
No win in our first seven league games
Injury list that has been nothing short of horrendous
Home record

After those points we're still in with a chance of gate crashing the playoffs, either the Championship is not as good as we thought, or our squad is better than we thought

TMG501

Have some Jacks for your outstanding work my friend. Absolutely brilliant!
:bigjack  :bigjack  :bigjack
It's What's In The Groove That Counts

RiversideRifle

Quality again Erimus mate.

2-2 for me
UTB

Smoggers51

Brilliant write up once again Erimus 👍Know exactly what you mean about relatives ,I used to go to Ayresome Park with my late Uncle and then with my late Father in Law.Both great Boro lads and gentlemen.I'll be there Saturday singing Loud and Proud.Think it will be a draw .Hope I'm wrong and Boro smash them.UTMB!!!

erimus74

Quote from: TMG501 on February 08, 2024, 10:06:39 AMHave some Jacks for your outstanding work my friend. Absolutely brilliant!
:bigjack  :bigjack  :bigjack

Cheers TMG 🍻

erimus74

Quote from: Smoggers51 on February 08, 2024, 10:29:48 AMBrilliant write up once again Erimus 👍Know exactly what you mean about relatives ,I used to go to Ayresome Park with my late Uncle and then with my late Father in Law.Both great Boro lads an gentlemen.I'll be there Saturday singing Loud and Proud.Think it will be a draw .Hope I'm wrong and Boro smash them.UTMB!!!

Thanks Smoggers51, hopefully I'll be there if I can shake off this awful virus
Its not looking to good at the moment but as we know with the Boro they can turn in an instant

Smoggers51

Blott

Quote from: Smoggers51 on February 08, 2024, 10:29:48 AMBrilliant write up once again Erimus 👍Know exactly what you mean about relatives ,I used to go to Ayresome Park with my late Uncle and then with my late Father in Law.Both great Boro lads and gentlemen.I'll be there Saturday singing Loud and Proud.Think it will be a draw .Hope I'm wrong and Boro smash them.UTMB!!!
Erimus and Smoggers I dearly wish that had been the case for me, but it wasn't. From about 8 we walked a few young kids from Berwick Hills to AP, normally the Boys End sometimes a squeeze. I had a great mam and dad, but it would not have entered his head to take me, the North Ormesby workers and Newcastle House came first, my mam was happy with her weekly bingo at St Alphonsus hall.

At the Riverside I often took my dad, with my lads, I never saw him happier.

After my family the Boro has given me more joy than anything else. I never cared who owned it, what tactics they played, who the manager was, I just love it.

Sat in bed with this f ING virus. Pissed off, coughing, miserable, throat full of sand, head aching. Oh and my fantastic caring wife is off out again, 4 lunches this week.

markmywords

Quote from: erimus74 on February 07, 2024, 10:05:31 PMAs I was writing the Sunderland & now the Bristol City match day threads I got a bit down, not at the results against these teams but how quick time has gone & where
I post a ticket, programme, match report & realise it decades ago, frightening how quick time has flown, even looking at early matches at the Riverside & we've been there 29 years now, crazy

Then our Kev & our dad, two great, special people in my life, massive Boro fans, who are no longer with us, the 3 of us enjoyed so much going to games that Boro could throw at us, gone

Agree. When I see the programmes on show and look at the dates it's difficult to imagine how far back they go. I look at the different designs and realise I have complete sets going back to the sixties that haven't seen light of day for over 50 years.

erimus74

Quote from: markmywords on February 08, 2024, 12:41:37 PM
Quote from: erimus74 on February 07, 2024, 10:05:31 PMAs I was writing the Sunderland & now the Bristol City match day threads I got a bit down, not at the results against these teams but how quick time has gone & where

Agree. When I see the programmes on show and look at the dates it's difficult to imagine how far back they go. I look at the different designs and realise I have complete sets going back to the sixties that haven't seen light of day for over 50 years.

Big part of your history right there, going to the games, queuing for the match day programmes, finding out your have a programme missing from your collection & need to get it ASAP, all part of life growing up as a football fan, nice memories

AtomicDog

Class as ever young Erimus . . . Might have to speak to you to negotiate a contract extension . . .!

You're the best poster on here Gordon Lad

🐾
Why must I feel like that . . . Why must I chase the 🐈

In With the Lurpak

Looks like all the games are going to be a struggle now on.. this one be a good day with a 1 - 0 win

erimus74

Quote from: Blott on February 08, 2024, 12:05:15 PM
Quote from: Smoggers51 on February 08, 2024, 10:29:48 AMBrilliant write up once again Erimus 👍Know exactly what you mean about relatives ,I used to go to Ayresome Park with my late Uncle and then with my late Father in Law.Both great Boro lads and gentlemen.I'll be there Saturday singing Loud and Proud.Think it will be a draw .Hope I'm wrong and Boro smash them.UTMB!!!
Erimus and Smoggers I dearly wish that had been the case for me, but it wasn't. From about 8 we walked a few young kids from Berwick Hills to AP, normally the Boys End sometimes a squeeze. I had a great mam and dad, but it would not have entered his head to take me, the North Ormesby workers and Newcastle House came first, my mam was happy with her weekly bingo at St Alphonsus hall.

At the Riverside I often took my dad, with my lads, I never saw him happier.

After my family the Boro has given me more joy than anything else. I never cared who owned it, what tactics they played, who the manager was, I just love it.

Sat in bed with this f ING virus. Pissed off, coughing, miserable, throat full of sand, head aching. Oh and my fantastic caring wife is off out again, 4 lunches this week.

Its in our blood Blotty, but this part you posted is a talking point for me

I couldn't have put it better myself & to think, some of the vile posters OTR dare to criticise Gibbo, who not only saved us, but took us to heights you, I, smoggers & the rest thought we would never see, just for wearing a different tie, for me they're not Boro fans, we have seen world class players, good, bad & indifferent, memories, but our chairman is the one who knitted it all together

Get well soon Blotty lad

erimus74

Quote from: AtomicDog on February 08, 2024, 08:29:48 PMClass as ever young Erimus . . . Might have to speak to you to negotiate a contract extension . . .!

You're the best poster on here Gordon Lad

🐾

Among many good uns Atomic, 👌

AtomicDog

Why must I feel like that . . . Why must I chase the 🐈

Nosmo-King

I'd settle for 1-0 to get 3 points on the board!

erimus74