Watford v Boro match thread

Started by erimus74, September 29, 2023, 09:34:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

erimus74

Well we finally got there, on the 8th time of asking the Boro finally put an end to our run of  winless league games when we put in an excellent performance & 3 points against Southampton last weekend, followed 3 days later, with Carrick making up to 7 changes from the Saints game, with Jones, Coburn & Howson all watching from the bench, the Boro put in a very good team performance at Bradford to progress to the 4th round of the league cup for the 1st time since 2018 & now back to the Championship, as we travel to the hornets nest to face Watford

Jones & Coburn were unplayable against Southampton, with McGree  back to his best of last season, Johnny Howson, although having a quiet game, showing his captains responsibility when stepping forward to take the spot kick, placed the ball on the spot & waiting till everyone was ready & coolly placed the penalty the wrong side of the keeper, scoring the match winning goal

From looking, IMHO, after the Sheff Weds game a team in a relegation fight, only for our fortunes to turn around & we go to Watford full of confidence
Our 1st back to back wins on the bounce, our 1st clean sheet, fingers crossed, we can win our 1st away win, wouldnt it be fiting if we cans see our 1st away hat trick goalscorer since Jelle Vossen at Millwall in 2014, but we cant be too greedy

I would think, unless there are any injuries carried over from the Southampton game, that Michael Carrick will start with the same team that started against last weeks league win

I've only been to Watford the once, back in September 1989, Boro losing 1-0 with a goal from future Boro favourite Paul Wilkinson
On the way out, a couple of Boro fans who not wanting to walk all the way round to the away coaches, which you could see through the allotment fance, decided to scale the wired fence & run across the allotments to the coaches, this lad, who I later found out was from Billingham, scaled the fence quite easy but got his finger stuck at the top of the fence & as it jumped down his finger stuk in the fence & just came off, he grabbed his finger, jumped back over (must have really hurt) & made his way down the busy road to an ambulance that was always stationed at the bottom of the road, later found through friends unfortunately they didn't save his finger

08/10/1966 - 1st fixture between both clubs,  Watford 2 Boro 0 - Third divison. Williie Whigham made his debut after moving from Falkirk. Ian Davidson & Bobby Braithwaite made their final appearance for the Boro

Last win at Watfrod was 6th October 2012, Marvin Emnes & Scott McDonald scored our goals in a 2-1 win, Watford actually took the lead after 26 seconds

We have played Watford away 21 times with the following record

Won 6
Drew 3
Lost 12
Goals scored – 19
Goals against - 27

We've never scored a penalty or  hat trick  against Watford

Away debuts v Watford

08/10/1966 3rd division - Willie Whigham   lost 2-0 - Signed from Falkirk
30/9/1989 2nd division - Simon Coleman   lost 1-0 - Signed from Mansfield Town
6/4/2015 Championship - Fernando Amorebita   lost 2-0 - 73rd loaned player - Loaned from Fulham over 2 seasons with James Husband going to Fulham - Our 51st at the Riverside
14/1/2017 PL - Rudy Gestede drew 0-0 - Signed from Aston Villa
11/9/2020 Championship - Marcus Bettinelli  lost 1-0 - Our 97th loaned player - Loaned from Fulham - 64th at the Riverside - 8th GK

A number of players who played for both team

Paul Wilkinson
Willie Falconer - Swap with Trevor Putney going to Vicaridge road
Trevor Putney - As above
Diego Babbrini
Malcolm Poskett - Holds the record for the least amount of playing minutes in the 1st team for the Boro a while at Ayresome Park when he made his one & only 1st team appearance on the 13th October 1973 at home to Hull City, coming on for Malcolm Smith with 13 minutes remaining
Andrew Taylor
Nathaniel Chalobah loaned out to both clubs
Mark Yates
Danny Graham
Adlène Guedioura
Diego Fabbrine  -   74th loaned player - Loaned from Watford - 52nd at the Riverside - Played 26 games, 6 goals - 2015/16

Doubles over each other

Boro - 1969/70 & 1971/2
Watford - 1989/90

Cimon Boro!

LIDDLE_TOWERS999

HORNETS 🐝 2 BORO LIONS 🦁 2

COBURN
MCGREE

GET WELL SOON STEVE G

tunstall

Not the brightest the Billog lads....

Watford 3 Boro 0

teamboro

TEESSIDER and Proud  of the area unlike some and I'm not a Racist

Northallerton_Boro

I would take a draw and think it will be

Johnny Thunder

TeessideTopgun

Lets keep the momentum 1-2 UTB

erimus74

John Trebor

Thanks Erimus.
I take it that league table is 66/67?
Didn't realise QPR won the League Cup as well. Can't be many 3rd Div teams to have done that.

John Trebor

It's all going to click tomorrow.
5-2 Boro.

erimus74

Quote from: John Trebor on September 29, 2023, 01:17:38 PMIt's all going to click tomorrow.
5-2 Boro.

That would be amazing, what a message that would send out to the league

A bit of info for the 1st few yearz of the league cup

Check out this post from EFL https://www.efl.com/news/2020/february/the-league-cup-1960-1969

John Trebor

Quote from: erimus74 on September 29, 2023, 01:32:55 PM
Quote from: John Trebor on September 29, 2023, 01:17:38 PMIt's all going to click tomorrow.
5-2 Boro.

Check out this post from EFL https://www.efl.com/news/2020/february/the-league-cup-1960-1969

Interesting stuff. I see the big boys didn't enter until the following season, when a European place was given to the winners.

erimus74

Quote from: John Trebor on September 29, 2023, 04:30:42 PM
Quote from: erimus74 on September 29, 2023, 01:32:55 PM
5-2 Boro.

Interesting stuff. I see the big boys didn't enter until the following season, when a European place was given to the winners.

Good shout, didnt think of that, but it make sense, soon as europe was introduced it was right, move along children the grown ups are here now

ccole

LIDDLE_TOWERS999

NO EXCUSES TODAY... NEED TO HIT THE GROUND RUNNING 💪💪💪

GET WELL SOON STEVE G

tunstall

Need to hit the ground drinking

:monkeyman:

New Division

I'm going for a boring,yet reasonable 1-1

erimus74

Quote from: New Division on September 30, 2023, 08:46:32 AMI'm going for a boring,yet reasonable 1-1

Be happy with that New Division, keep the unbeaten run going

LIDDLE_TOWERS999

DECENT TEAM 💪💪💪💪💪

GET WELL SOON STEVE G

RiversideRifle

UTB

erimus74

LIDDLE_TOWERS999

GET WELL SOON STEVE G

Johnny Thunder

Will Mcnair drop in for Lenihan, or will he go right back and VDB move to CB?

BoroRedKen

Quote from: Johnny Thunder on September 30, 2023, 02:33:08 PMWill Mcnair drop in for Lenihan, or will he go right back and VDB move to CB?

If your aunty had balls would she be your uncle (although thinking about it your aunty would not need tackle to call herself "uncle" in this day and age!)?

VBD as right back is a must in my opinion.