Bradford v Boro match thread

Started by erimus74, September 25, 2023, 01:58:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

erimus74

After the excellent performance last saturday over Southampton, which seen the Boro win our 1st league game & 3 points of the season we're back to the romance of cup football, so far the mighty Boro have done the business on our cup travels, winning at Huddersfield 3-2 & Bolton 3-1, both games, same as the Southampton game, the Boro have won from a losing position, lets see if we can make it a hat trick of away league cup wins & our 1st back to back wins of the season when we travel to our opponents Bradford City tomorrow night, who sit in 13th place in the 2nd division, following their 4-1 win away to Newport County
Confidence must be high after our fantastic win over the Saints so hopefully, fingers crossed, this cup tie, our 37th 3rd round fixture, gives us a great chance to progress to the 4th round for the 1st time since 2019

We've only met Bradford Cityin the league cup once before, ironically, it was a season that started worse than the present one
1984/85 league cup 1st round, with third divison Bradford City triumph over 2 legs, winning their home leg 2-0 then drawing 2-2 at Ayresome Park, going through 4-2 on aggregate

Lets hope the Boro can continue where they left off from saturdays game, the team is anyones guess with both Jones & VDB coming off injured, on the plus side Coburn, who was maginificent will be praying he gets the nod & leads the line, he certainly deserves it

2 games I have to mention which, to the older Boro fans will live in our memory forever were played 35 years ago, the famous 1988 playoff semi finals
After unluckily losing 2nd place to Aston Villa on the final day of the season on goal difference we had to face, not only Bradford City, who had already beaten us twice that season but, if Chelsea overcome Blackburn in the other playoff SF fixture, then we would face Chelsea who finished 3rd bottom of the 1st division, in another 2 legged fixture to determine who plays top tier football the following season

Boro travelled to Bradford for this midday Sunday PO kickoff & as the 2 previous fixtures had played out Boro lost. Bradford went in front, Trevor Senior scored our equaliser then not long later Bradford went back in front & thats how it stayed with City taking a 2-1 lead to Ayresome Park, if we had to do progress we needed to do it the hardway & achieve something we hadnt done that season, beat Bradford City, not an easy task
Failure to win the 2nd leg the following Wednesday at Ayresome Park & we remain in the (old) 2nd divison

The game was played at a hectic pace, with battles played all over the pitch, City's 6 foot, 5 inches, Ian Ormondroyd, who had already tortured us that season v Gary Palister & Tony Mowbray, wing wizard & tormentor, John Hendrie v Colin Cooper, midfield hardmen, Gary Hamilton v Stuart McCall, with Hammy coming out on top in that duel, to add more spice, even a former Boro favourite, hardman, Mick Kennedy in our opponents team, he joined Bradford the previous January

Bradford had a really good team back then, but it was the Boro, who had Bruce Rioch, his amazing speeches & a team that would run through a brick wall for him, who struck 1st when Bernie put the Boro one up, both teams had chances throughout but the score remained 1-0 & at the end of 90 minutes, with the game level at 2-2 on aggregate extra time was to be played
The Boro had laid the jinx City had over us that season with beating them, now into extra time, we had to win again, the next goal will determine who goes through to the playoff final
It was still a tense affair when Colin Cooper got the ball out on the left & swings an inch perfect ball in to the Bradford City penalty area where a grateful Gary Hamilton was waiting, he controlled the brilliant ball, evaded the toilet roll & coolly placed the ball in the far corner, the holgate erupted, the Boro were infront on aggregate & that's how it stayed, Boro winning the game 2-0 on the night, 3-2 on aggregate

We played Bradford 4 times that season, losing 3 of them

Our 1st away fixture v Bradford was on the 2nd January October 1909, with Boro winning 2-0, with goals from  John hall &  Fred Pentland, who both made their debuts against Bradford earlier in the season

Bradford v Boro  fixture will be the 25th fixture in West Yorkshire between the 2 teams with the following record:

Won - 10
Drew - 4
Lost - 10
Goals scored - 25
Goals against - 22

Only the one 4 goal haul v Bradford City

17th April 1920 First division - Goal machine, George Elliott became the 4th different Boro player to score 4 goals in a competitive game when he bagged all the goals in a 4-0 win at Ayresome Park.

A number of players who have represented both teams

Eric McManus - Our 5th loaned signing & 44th GK,  3 of our first 5 loaned signings were GK's, Eric McManus played 2 games on loan
Gary Walsh - 27th loaned player who returned for a 2nd spell, Gary was our 5th loaned player at the Riverside & 2nd loaned GK at the Riverside who went on to play 3 games
Benito Carbone - Our 29th loaned signing, cracking signing for me, he scored the one goal, the only goal in a 1-0 win at Old Trafford
Mark Schwarzer
John Hendrie
Mick Kennedy
Dean Windess
Adam Clayton
Andrew Davies
Andrew Taylor
Tony McMahon
Chris Kamara
Ross Turnbull - GK
Connor Ripley - GK
Peter Beagrie
Ben Roberts - GK
Brad Jones - GK
Rumarn Burrell

Debuts v Bradford City

Registered No139 - Fred Pentland 5/9/1908 home 1-0
Registered No140 - John Hall  5/9/1908 home 1-0
Registered No160 -  William Davidson  17/12/1910 home 3-2
Registered No169 -  Willie Carr 27/4/1911 away 0-1
Registered No186 -  Thomas Storey 3/1/1913 away 3-2
Registered No212 -  Peter Donaghy 24/4/1919 home league cup lost 2-0
Registered No668 -  Peter Ormerod 13/9/1997 away 2-2
Registered No669 -  Christian Zeige 7/8/1999 home 0-1

Penalties v Bradford

27th December 1907 - First divison Steve Bloomer scored the clubs 12th away penalty in a 34-1 defeat
17th April 1920 - First divison George Elliott scored the clubs 26th home penalty in a 4-0 win
3rd November 1928 Second divison Fred Kennedy scored the clubs 50th home penalty in a 5-3 win
20th March 1937 First divison Micky Fenton scored the clubs 36th away penalty in a 4-1 defeat

Boro stat

13th September 1997 - Anthony Ormerod become the 100th player to score on a Boro debut when netting in a 2-2 draw at Valley Parade   

AtomicDog

Why must I feel like that . . . Why must I chase the 🐈

Blott

Looking forward to it, and finding a ticket. I think it's £20 on the door, all my own fault.

Noone does a better trip out that John 12th Man.

Ha ha, rang the ticket office and £6.50 for a returned ticket. Gettin.

Mike Peeler

3-1 Boro. We're going to Wembley!!

LIDDLE_TOWERS999

OINTMENT 0 FRONTLINE 3 💪💪💪

:leo3:  :rudi:  :morgan:  :supremeleader:
GET WELL SOON STEVE G

Johnny Thunder

AtomicDog

Anyone know if it's on the IPTV anywhere Lad's?
🐾
🐾

erimus74

Quote from: AtomicDog on September 25, 2023, 07:24:00 PMAnyone know if it's on the IPTV anywhere Lad's?
🐾
🐾

Dont think its on anywhere Atomic

John Trebor

Two Hammy based Bradford memories:

- Hammy's wiggle in 1988.

- The other Hammy's wondergoal in 2001.

AtomicDog

Quote from: erimus74 on September 25, 2023, 08:35:06 PM
Quote from: AtomicDog on September 25, 2023, 07:24:00 PMAnyone know if it's on the IPTV anywhere Lad's?
🐾
🐾

Dont think its on anywhere Atomic

And it's not till tomorrow .

No wonder I couldn't find it anywhere!

🐾
🐾

LIDDLE_TOWERS999

🐾
🐾

NO MATE... ONLY SKY HAVE A GAME ON... BUT SKY SPORTS NEWS SHOW ALL THE GOALS AS THEY GO IN 👍
GET WELL SOON STEVE G

LIDDLE_TOWERS999

👍💪💪💪👍U.T.F.B.
GET WELL SOON STEVE G

tunstall

Lids - are you running on the pitch if we score?

erimus74

Strongish team, only McCabe im not sure of, hopefully Latte gets a goal tonight

TeessideTopgun

erimus74

erimus74

Boro on the front foot, keeping them pegged back

erimus74

erimus74

Silvera seems up for it too, his confidence will grow

erimus74

We keep putting Bradford under pressure, O'Brien seems to be involved a lot

erimus74

Goaaaaallllllllll, Latttttteeeeeee

erimus74

Good football, one up, win the ball back from their kickoff

erimus74

Latte has 2 goals to his name now, one in the league & now in the cuo, only 27 behind Akpom

erimus74

erimus74

Great cross from Smith, Latte header nearly scored, good save from the keeper, Maddo saying he should have scored