Boro v Southampton match thread

Started by erimus74, September 22, 2023, 10:36:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

erimus74

Well 7 games now with 2 points on the board, bottom of the championship & following our draw away to Sheff Weds, who for me, showed the 2 worst teams in the championship, we now face a Southampton team at the Riverside who have lost 3 on the bounce & in the process have conceded 10 goals with only the one goal themselves in those 3 games, they have shipped goals regularly this season, as well as those 10 when they let in 4 at home to Norwich, while Gillingham beat them 3-1 in the league cup, so we will be given chances to score, hopefully we capitalise on our chances & get a much needed win, 3 points & fingers crossed out of the bottom 3
Each game we live in hope the Boro turn the corner & start producing the performances that Michael Carrick says he sees during training

With confidence low at the Boro we need to start on the right foot on Saturday, dont let Southampton  settle on the ball, If Coburn doesnt start then Latte has to come, he doesnt let the opposition settle at all & against a jittery Saints defense we'll get chances, we have to start converting those opportunities, score an early goal, take the lead, that could make all the difference,  lets put this awful run without a league win since beating Hull on the 19th April to bed

lets kick start our season on saturday

My preferred team

Dieng
Smith/Dijksteel
McNair/Fry
Lenihan
Coulson - best option for me
Balasar - his range of passing maybe vital
O'Brien - played well v Sheff Weds
Jones
Hackney
McGree
Coburn/Latte

Bench
Forss - Would start but coming back from illness
Balarsar
Latte
Fry
Clarks - Hopefully fit

Start with Coburn, bring on Latte late in the game

Please no Rogers, Silvera or Greenwood on the bench, if were chasing the game what will these bring to the team

Though there maybe looking at some of those selection theres a reason i'm not a football manager & Carrick is

06/12/1924 - Second divison Boro 0 Southampton 0

This will be the 29th meeting between both teams on Teesside with the following record

Won - 13
Drew - 7
Lost - 8
Goals scored – 46
Goals against - 32

A number of players who played for both team
David Armstrong
Neil Maddison
Phil Kite - Our 45th goalkeeper - Our 6th loaned player, 4 were keepers
John Gittens - 15th loaned  - Loaned from Southampton. Played 12 games, one goal & what a goal to score for your only goal, signed permanently the following season
Ian Baird
Jack Stephens  - 40th league cup debutant - 75th loaned player - Loaned from Southampton - 53rd at the Riverside
Sam McQueen - 90th loaned player - Loaned from Southampton - 57th at the Riverside
Gaston Ramirez - 79th loaned player - Loaned from Southampton & after 18 games, scoring 7 goals he signed permanently the following season - 57th at the Riverside
Frazer Richardson - I was at his debut away to Charlton Athletic, under Mogga, Boro winning 1-0
Tom Coxon
Norman Highman

When David Armstrong singed for Southampton  for £600k  in the summer of 1981 he become their record signing
In 1979 I remember Spike taking & missing a penalty at home to Southampton, the penalty was re-taken as the keeper moved to soon & Spike had his 2nd spot kick saved, we lost the game 1-0

In the opening season of the Riverside our 1st home game was to be against Southampton, the club went to the PL asking if we could have an extra week to play our 1st home game due the the stadium not been ready in time so the league allowed us extra grace & we played Chelsea for our 1st game with Southampton a midweek fixture as our next (2nd) home game

No home hat tricks v Southampton

Home debuts v Southampton
20/3/1926 - Phillip Cartright 1st division -  won 3-0
11/1/1936 - Eric Weightman FAC - won 1-0 - 1st FAC debutant
30/1/1982 - Stephen Bell 1st divison - lost 1-0

Johnny Thunder

Absolutely outstanding Erimus.

:bigjack

2-1

:carrick4:

erimus74

TommyDickfingers

Great stuff Erimus

Boro 2 Saints 4

TeessideTopgun

No idea how long these take you Erimus but they are brilliant , nice to know we are top of the league in something , well done 👏👏👏 

LIDDLE_TOWERS999

BORO PUDDINGS 1 SAINTS 3 🙄🙄🙄

THEY HAVE LOST THE LAST 3 SO YA KNOW THE DANCE 💃💃💃 🙄🙄🙄

A TON ON THE SAINTS AT 5/2 MAKES GOOD SENSE 👍💷💷💷👍
GET WELL SOON STEVE G

Mike Peeler

After the midweek draw the comeback is on.

2.0 Boro!!

Up the football league we go :carrick2:

TommyDickfingers

Quote from: Mike Peeler on September 22, 2023, 11:11:51 AMAfter the midweek draw the comeback is on.

2.0 Boro!!

Up the football league we go :carrick2:

:alf:

AtomicDog

Why must I feel like that . . . Why must I chase the 🐈

Mike Peeler

Another decent crowd expected not bad for a bottom-of-league team, and winless to boot in the league.

26K give yourself a pat on the back lads and lasses.

Be there or be square.

Follow Follow Follow! :leo2:

https://www.mfc.co.uk/news/2023/september/22/Matchday-Info--Boro-v-Southampton/

TommyDickfingers

They have signs on the A66 saying to expect delays for the match tomorrow.

I wish someone could hack in and say 'Delays in winning a fucking game of football'

AtomicDog

Why must I feel like that . . . Why must I chase the 🐈

erimus74

Quote from: TeessideTopgun on September 22, 2023, 11:04:58 AMNo idea how long these take you Erimus but they are brilliant , nice to know we are top of the league in something , well done 👏👏👏 

Cheers Topgun 👍

Blott

Here's hoping it's a new start.

erimus74

Quote from: Blott on September 22, 2023, 01:36:13 PMHere's hoping it's a new start.

Nights tonight, up at dinner time tomorrow off to match then 2nd nightshift

RiversideRifle

UTB

New Division

2-1 to the Boro
A bit of heart over head in this prediction like

TheWalker

Not wanting to doubt you Erimus but I am sure we were always down to play Chelsea at Riverside on 1st day of season-there were doubts stadium would be ready and game only confirmed as being played on the Friday

Bud Wiser

I can see the poor run of form finally coming to an end...

3-0 to Southampton.
SAMMY AMEOBI - CAN I HAVE YOUR SHIRT PLEASE

teamboro

Boro 0-2 Southampton can't see us winning this
TEESSIDER and Proud  of the area unlike some and I'm not a Racist

erimus74

Quote from: TheWalker on September 22, 2023, 04:26:20 PMNot wanting to doubt you Erimus but I am sure we were always down to play Chelsea at Riverside on 1st day of season-there were doubts stadium would be ready and game only confirmed as being played on the Friday

Yea Southampton were supposed to play us on the 22nd, knocked back a week, Chelsea then become the 1st visitors to the Riverside

erimus74

Mike Peeler

One of the posters OTR triggered my memory over the last time we played the Saints at home in the Karanka era in the prem.

Brad Guzan our keeper at the time was having a  stinker, and committed a foul and gave away a penalty and the ground started shouting OFF OFF OFF, which gave me and plenty of others a chuckle at the time.

LIDDLE_TOWERS999

GET WELL SOON STEVE G

TheWalker

Quote from: erimus74 on September 22, 2023, 10:59:12 PM
Quote from: TheWalker on September 22, 2023, 04:26:20 PMNot wanting to doubt you Erimus but I am sure we were always down to play Chelsea at Riverside on 1st day of season-there were doubts stadium would be ready and game only confirmed as being played on the Friday

Yea Southampton were supposed to play us on the 22nd, knocked back a week, Chelsea then become the 1st visitors to the Riverside

I've got a crap memory-I was sure our first game of season was Chelsea at home but have discovered we drew 1-1 at Arsenal then would (as you say Erimus)have played Southampton in first home game before Chelsea match
Apologies for doubting the Boro expert👍😁