Will Maddren July 1984

Started by erimus74, July 03, 2023, 02:32:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

erimus74

From his book extra time on his pre- season plans for the coming season, only 10 years previous (1974/75) we were starting life in the top flight for the 1st time in 20 years & as a team, with a couple of additions, should have challenged the top teams, fast forward 10 years we could barely compete with the lesser teams in the 2nd division

Boro's manager Willie Maddren is in the process of trying to build a team to stop the rot & help us move forward & with restrictions on the finance side of the club tried to sign Joe Waters, a defensive midfielder, who had been given a free transfer from Grimsby Town

After meeting the late, great Willie Maddren Joe was keen to sign on the dotted line if, the Boro could match his £300 a week wages he was on at his former club & £5k signing on fee to cover his moving expences

The club couldnt match his terms, no signing on fee & could only offer £250 a week

He eventually had offers to play in America, out of courtecy Joe phoned Willie back to say he really fancied the idea with signing for the mighty Boro but the offer to go to America aas to good to turn down, he's still there to this day in a coaching role & Willie's team building continues

Blott

Did he mention me doing his stocktake?

AtomicDog

Quote from: Blott on July 03, 2023, 02:36:31 PMDid he mention me doing his head in?
Fixed that for you  :rick:
Why must I feel like that . . . Why must I chase the 🐈

erimus74

Quote from: Blott on July 03, 2023, 02:36:31 PMDid he mention me doing his stocktake?

Yes but told me to keep it quiet, his reason been, the club didnt have much money & if he'd sung your praises someone may have come calling for your services, you would have gone then the club would have had to look for a lower standard accountant 😢🤣😉

erimus74

erimus74

Willie Maddrens next target, John Trewick, a former WBA midfielder who had been released from Newcastle, Willie set up a meeting with him, laying out his plans going forward, John had been interested in joining us until Oxford, who had just been promoted from the 3rd division, offered more wages & so he signed for Jim Smiths Oxford

We were financially knackered back then leading up to 86 & TBH, couldnt compete with the Oxfords & Grimsbys of the world back then

LIDDLE_TOWERS999

GET WELL SOON STEVE G

erimus74

Summer of 84 Mick Kennedy was sold, to pay off some outstanding loans & replaced with Mick Bucley, one goal for us in his only season, to me no comparison between the players, loved Mick Kennedys time at the Boro, sadly neither player is with us today

Mick Kennedy

Mick Buckley

tunstall

LIDDLE_TOWERS999

MICK KENNEDY WAS NAILS 👍💪👍
GET WELL SOON STEVE G

erimus74

Quote from: LIDDLE_TOWERS999 (MODERATOR) on July 04, 2023, 04:33:01 PMMICK KENNEDY WAS NAILS 👍💪👍

Loved him, he also shared the same birthday as my dear mam, 9th April, also scored his final Boro goals on his 22nd birthday, 1983, when he netted abrace in a 3-2 home defeat to Derby County

erimus74

The game mentioned above when Mick Kennedy scored a brace (9th April 1983) was also tge final game Kevin Beattie played in

It was the only game Kevin Beattie was on the losing side for the Boro, coming on as a sub for Joe Bolton

erimus74

July 1984 & a receipt for a new pair of sambas for Paul Sugrue

rolling cube game

erimus74

Ural Quntz (Moderator)

Quote from: erimus74 on July 04, 2023, 05:04:52 PMJuly 1984 & a receipt for a new pair of sambas for Paul Sugrue

rolling cube game

Didn't Capio try and present one like this as proof he'd paid for his 'free' trainers!

:supremeleader:

Was it Crocket had him stitched up?

Excellent post that - I was rolling