Ashes 2nd Test - 11am Wed 28th June

Started by TommyDickfingers, June 27, 2023, 01:40:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TommyDickfingers

A lot on Brooks, Stokes & Bairstows shoulders today if we want to get anywhere near or past their total. After them it's cannon fodder.

I love 'Bazball' but every wicket yesterday was given to the Aussies rather than them taking them.

Mike Peeler

Quote from: Blott on June 29, 2023, 07:34:36 PM
Quote from: Mike Peeler on June 29, 2023, 07:02:41 PM
Quote from: Blott on June 29, 2023, 06:39:19 PMI would have snapped your hands off to be this close after yesterday.

That's a fair enough comment Blotty, we can't give them more than a 50-run lead though, so plenty still to do. I just don't think our bowlers are really up to the job. I would love to be eating my words come the end of the test and series
completely agree on the bowlers. Two toward the end of their careers another bowling at 70 to 80 mph. That's NYSD standard.

I am hoping we might get a slight lead. But optimisation, as I know from backing the Boro Hurts my nuts.

In fairness, I would like to see what we are like as a bowling unit with the likes of Archer and Wood to select from, so the is some cause for positivity long term in one sense. That said, I'm a little concerned that Archer's body is not up to it for test cricket, and he will stick with the riches of the one-day game when back fit

tunstall

LIDDLE_TOWERS999

GET WELL SOON STEVE G

tunstall

Brook gets to 50 then throws his wicket away

Struggling here

TommyDickfingers

LIDDLE_TOWERS999

THAT'S THE FUCKING ASHES THROWN AWAY AGAIN....OUR BATSMEN ARE NOT UP TO IT 👎😡😡😡👎
GET WELL SOON STEVE G

tunstall

Unfortunately neither are our bowlers....

Mike Peeler

Yes, it's not looking good for us, that first test was a good watch, this one is showing our frailties both with bat and ball. We are too adventurous at times with the bat and, don't seem to value our wicket, which despite the 'bazball' approach is a concern to me.

Redsteel (Moderator)

Pissed this test away with poor judgement, going after the short balls. Aussies to get to the 400 in front marker then the obligatory collapse by us. Really has fucked up Stokes.

F3 canine servicer

Well done England.......6 wickets thrown away n less than an hour and a half!  Fkn clueless cricket!

LIDDLE_TOWERS999

WARNER LBW BY TONGUE.... ABOUT FUCKING TIME 👍💪👍
GET WELL SOON STEVE G

tunstall

Mike Peeler

Another one down, the conditions are in our favour as the fielding side, so that sort of gives us a small chance of maybe skittling them out for a low score. It's still an advantage the Aussies for me though, the fact they haven't got a spinner could also help, not that they needed him this morning.

F3 canine servicer

Maybe mother nature can save England from an abysmal defeat!

Redsteel (Moderator)

Quote from: F3 canine servicer on June 30, 2023, 05:15:16 PMMaybe mother nature can save England from an abysmal defeat!

Only way we don't lose this test. Already hoping that the weather saves us, due to self inflicted mistakes.

tunstall

Good weather forecast for the weekend

:rav:

Nosmo-King

Out of the country so disappointing to read how we continue with this ludicrous brand of cricket. It really puts into question how seriously a fair number feel nothing for being dismissed in such a cheap way. I know what I would do with Bazball - and where I would stick it!

Redsteel (Moderator)

Quote from: Nosmo-King on June 30, 2023, 07:44:34 PMOut of the country so disappointing to read how we continue with this ludicrous brand of cricket. It really puts into question how seriously a fair number feel nothing for being dismissed in such a cheap way. I know what I would do with Bazball - and where I would stick it!

Was reading Agnews column this morning and I agree with what he had to say. He basically said, you don't need to stop being positive, just be more pragmatic and read the room better. They had just lost Lyon, which should have boosted us, and they were forced to go for the short ball, because we were 188-1 at the time and didn't even look like losing any wkts. Like Agnew said, they would only have maintained this strategy for a max of 6 overs period because it puts such a strain on bowlers legs. With 5 outfielders the trap was clearly set, and because we weren't scoring we fell into their trap, when the easy option of leaving these shots for the short term was a no brainer. All of a sudden we lose 6wkts for a combined total of 46 runs, the remainder of that session. Momentum was lost and we are going to lose this series within an 8 day period. Duckett came out and said that they had to take the aussies on otherwise they would have thought they had the upper hand and won the battle. Facts were, they were losing the battle when they put in the desperate measures of the short ball at the time, and we didn't capitalise on it.

tunstall

Exactly mate

Made ourselves look foolish, amateurish and second best when we were on the up

Gonna be two nil by the time we get to Leeds....

LIDDLE_TOWERS999

THEY WILL RATTLE A GOOD SCORE UP TODAY AND HAVE A DAY AND A FEW LATE HOURS TODAY TO SKITTLE US OUT.... ONLY A COUPLE OF CENTURIES BY 2 OF OUR BATSMEN CAN TAKE THIS TO A DRAW BUT I CANNOT SEE 2 OF EM REACHING A TON 😔😔😔
GET WELL SOON STEVE G

Mike Peeler

I dare say the Aussies will look to rub our noses right in into the ground today and look to bat right through day and lob us in around teatime and look for a few wickets before finishing us off tomorrow. Weather forecast pending of course. Our only hope is for a very good early morning start from the bowlers that might allow a game to be made, other than that the Aussies will be going in for the kill here at Lords to take a 2 nil lead in the series

LIDDLE_TOWERS999

Quote from: Mike Peeler on July 01, 2023, 09:06:56 AMI dare say the Aussies will look to rub our noses right in into the ground today and look to bat right through day and lob us in around teatime and look for a few wickets before finishing us off tomorrow. Weather forecast pending of course. Our only hope is for a very good early morning start from the bowlers that might allow a game to be made, other than that the Aussies will be going in for the kill here at Lords to take a 2 nil lead in the series

YES THE BOWLERS AND FEILDERS NEED TO PERFORM WELL TODAY OR WE ARE TOAST 😔
GET WELL SOON STEVE G

LIDDLE_TOWERS999

WE ARE GONNA LOSE THIS TEST TOO 😔😔😔

CANNOT GET A BREAK THROUGH 👎😡👎

THEY WILL PUT US IN TO BAT FOR AN HOUR LATER TODAY 😔🙄😔

WE WILL BE CHASING AT LEAST 450 😔
GET WELL SOON STEVE G

Blott

This is f ING awful. Change the Keeper, the 2 old men bowling and try risk 2 young lads.