Ashes 2nd Test - 11am Wed 28th June

Started by TommyDickfingers, June 27, 2023, 01:40:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Peeler

Quote from: Redsteel (moderator) on June 28, 2023, 04:22:45 PM
Quote from: tunstall on June 28, 2023, 03:48:56 PMEngland's front line spinner is now on.....

We're struggling here

The pitch and cloud cover haven't helped as we had hoped and a lot of our bowling has been poor

Bowling hasn't been bad, lost count how many want through, by a midgies dick. Again fine margins, dropped catch earlier on. Certainly need a few quick wkts to bring us back into it.

FYI I'm in the rubber dub dub watching it, my first beer as a 50yr old  :mick:

You sort of right on what you say, I liked KP's comments in the break we've gone all soft on them, that of course could be said about the nation and, most sports these days since the 'wokies' took the offended-at-anything approach too far. No one dares mutter a thing in life never mind sport without some oddball being offended.

these could well be in the process of building a big inning and might leave us with only a draw on offer which Stokes will not go for anyhow he lose looking for the impossible win i would guess. If the Aussies get 400+ we could well be in trouble.

LIDDLE_TOWERS999

TOTAL MISTAKE NOW LETTING THEM BAT FIRST 😔😔😔
GET WELL SOON STEVE G

TommyDickfingers

tunstall

Still a disappointment considering we won the toss and the conditions this morning....

TommyDickfingers

Quote from: tunstall on June 28, 2023, 06:53:42 PMStill a disappointment considering we won the toss and the conditions this morning....

Yep 100%

Mike Peeler

It keeps us in with a chance providing we can knock them over early tomorrow and bat well ourselves but when you win the toss and bowl first you got to make it count and we have not. I would have put them under the same conditions we've just not taken our chances or bowled that well.

Of course, the Aussies are ranked the best test side in the world and might just be better than us.

Bud Wiser

I'll keep my powder dry until we've at least had a bat, but its not looking good considering the last 10 Test matches played at Lords have seen the team batting 1st skittled for under 200 - according to TMS stats guru this morning. So as we all feared, it looks like our bowling quality is just not going to be on par with theirs.
SAMMY AMEOBI - CAN I HAVE YOUR SHIRT PLEASE

Mike Peeler

A lively and much-needed good start from England with the ball.

Get Cummings out who can shift the score along and we could be back on par if we keep them below 400

Mike Peeler

Smith gone, what a morning we've had back in if you like we need these next two out quickly, providing we do our bit with the bat

Redsteel (Moderator)

Yeah, need to keep them near the 400 mark. Near enough impossible to win when a team scores 500 or more in their first innings. Either way, the openers need big scores, we can't keep relying on Root to save the day.

Johnny Thunder

Accept the inevitable boys. They are better than us.

:rav:

Redsteel (Moderator)

Johnny Thunder

Mike Peeler

Let's see where we are this time tomorrow, I will still remain hopeful but if the house was going on anyone it would be the Aussies, Their bowling attack is good.

One down for England.

Blott

A much better day so far, I hope I haven't put the bosssh on it.

tunstall

Idiotic that

Gone for 98

Trap was set, bowling short stuff and he hooked it straight to Warner

Daft cunt

tunstall

More moronic batting from Root

Fuck off

LIDDLE_TOWERS999

SAME OLD ENGLAND 🙄🙄🙄

GIVING AWAY STUPID WICKETS 😡😡😡😔
GET WELL SOON STEVE G

Blott

I would have snapped your hands off to be this close after yesterday.

Redsteel (Moderator)

Quote from: tunstall on June 29, 2023, 05:09:13 PMIdiotic that

Gone for 98

Trap was set, bowling short stuff and he hooked it straight to Warner

Daft cunt

Pretty obvious they were instructed to push on and take on the short balls, why else would there be a sudden change of tact. We were cruising there, no issues then that mad hour. In the end Stokes gave it up thank fuck, because we would have been skittled out before close of play. Was no need for it at all, just pure arrogance.

Mike Peeler

Quote from: Blott on June 29, 2023, 06:39:19 PMI would have snapped your hands off to be this close after yesterday.

That's a fair enough comment Blotty, we can't give them more than a 50-run lead though, so plenty still to do. I just don't think our bowlers are really up to the job. I would love to be eating my words come the end of the test and series

Blott

Quote from: Mike Peeler on June 29, 2023, 07:02:41 PM
Quote from: Blott on June 29, 2023, 06:39:19 PMI would have snapped your hands off to be this close after yesterday.

That's a fair enough comment Blotty, we can't give them more than a 50-run lead though, so plenty still to do. I just don't think our bowlers are really up to the job. I would love to be eating my words come the end of the test and series
completely agree on the bowlers. Two toward the end of their careers another bowling at 70 to 80 mph. That's NYSD standard.

I am hoping we might get a slight lead. But optimisation, as I know from backing the Boro Hurts my nuts.

Nosmo-King

This Bazball crap gives our batsmen a get-out-of-jail card, ridiculous. There has to be some form of application, looking to get a big score not throw your wicket away. So easy to play against - let them get a few runs then let themselves get out - largely to this stupid notion that every ball can be scored off.

This is not test match cricket.Or at least not cricket you will succeed with against the best in the world.

Blott

I listened to Greg Chappell on about Boycott. He was the one player they never cared about and hoped he would be picked. They knew if was to score 150 the worst result for them was a draw.

The players he hated to play against was the likes of Sobers & Richards who could turn a game.

I think that our way of playing is the right way today. Lads can hit sixes in ways that were not dreamt off.

tunstall

This is true and it's been successful and entertaining, but you also have to read the situation the game is in and adapt to it, which I think is where we came a cropper yesterday

We could, and still might, lose this test match because of that mad half hour

At least the skipper seemed to have his head screwed on and calmed things down when he got to the crease

Let's see what today brings....