Ashes 2nd Test - 11am Wed 28th June

Started by TommyDickfingers, June 27, 2023, 01:40:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TommyDickfingers

Interesting team selection taking out a spinner and putting another seamer in.

Assume Root will do some back up bowling but I'm guessing they've something in the pitch to go all out pace.

If that's the case then you would wonder what the decision is going to be if we win the toss.

Really looking forward to this.

P.s. Decent 1hr doc on BBC iPlayer called 'How to Win the Ashes' watched it last night

tunstall

All pace attack is certainly interesting.....like you say, probably something in the pitch....plus the fact we don't have a decent, fit spinner in the country apparently

Mike Peeler

My thoughts are similar regarding spin unless as mentioned it's a 'doctored' pitch so not expected to turn, so Root will be our only spin option. Time will tell on that decision.

Without knowing the ins and outs pitch conditions etc, I would have made two changes to the side from the last game. I would have played the young spinner Ahmed over Ali, and I would have gone with extra pace and, brought Mark Wood back in for Jimmy Anderson.

The new lad has done well against Ireland but that's it against Ireland hopefully he puts on a display and he is quick I will give him that. Should be another good test match.

TommyDickfingers

Quote from: Mike Peeler on June 27, 2023, 03:13:36 PMMy thoughts are similar regarding spin unless as mentioned it's a 'doctored' pitch so not expected to turn, so Root will be our only spin option. Time will tell on that decision.

Without knowing the ins and outs pitch conditions etc, I would have made two changes to the side from the last game. I would have played the young spinner Ahmed over Ali, and I would have gone with extra pace and, brought Mark Wood back in for Jimmy Anderson.

The new lad has done well against Ireland but that's it against Ireland hopefully he puts on a display and he is quick I will give him that. Should be another good test match.

DOn't quote me on this but doesn't Anderson like bowling down the slope at Lords ?

Mike Peeler

Quote from: TommyDickfingers on June 27, 2023, 03:14:45 PM
Quote from: Mike Peeler on June 27, 2023, 03:13:36 PMMy thoughts are similar regarding spin unless as mentioned it's a 'doctored' pitch so not expected to turn, so Root will be our only spin option. Time will tell on that decision.

DOn't quote me on this but doesn't Anderson like bowling down the slope at Lords ?

He does actually have a cracking record at Lords and I think that's why he has got the nod after a poor show by his standards in the last test.

I just saw us as to one paced last time out and, Broad got wickets and, Jimmy never so it swayed me in thinking drop/rest him for this next one. I would have dropped one of the seamers for pace regardless and just went for Jimmy, as you could say I could end up with an egg on my face in a week's time. If Jimmy cracks in a 5 or 10-wicket haul.

tunstall

Hopefully Jimmy will be motivated and pissed off and get some wickets

Bud Wiser

Quote from: TommyDickfingers on June 27, 2023, 01:40:06 PMInteresting team selection taking out a spinner and putting another seamer in.

Assume Root will do some back up bowling but I'm guessing they've something in the pitch to go all out pace.

If that's the case then you would wonder what the decision is going to be if we win the toss.

Really looking forward to this.

P.s. Decent 1hr doc on BBC iPlayer called 'How to Win the Ashes' watched it last night

Exactly what I wished for last week.

Who knows, maybe our New Zealand saviours appreciate my prophecies: Winning before entertaining every time.
SAMMY AMEOBI - CAN I HAVE YOUR SHIRT PLEASE

tunstall

England won toss and are gonna bowl

Could be a good morning for bowling

Come on Jimmy

:leo2:

Mike Peeler

Yes, England is to bowl, if it is going to happen then the conditions favour us to bowl. It is a test match we cant really afford to lose. So it's the bowlers that need to come to the party in this one and get us the 20 wickets that win you a test match

Blott

Wagner is frightened stiff of Broad, he doesn't know what to do.

Get a quick wicket then with a bit of luck Smith.

tunstall

Jonny B just picked a protestor up and carried him off the field!

Haha. Well done lad.

:wankers:

LIDDLE_TOWERS999

JUST STOP OIL AT IT AGAIN 😡😡😡😡😡

NEVER WORKED THOUGH 👎

:wankers:
GET WELL SOON STEVE G

Blott

Mike Peeler

Nightmare, catches win matches and that's our first one of the test drooped

tunstall

tunstall

FFS

Another sharp chance gone down.....

52-0

Blott

Pope was hopeless there.

FU. You can quote that.

tunstall

Get in

Josh Tongue bowls Khawaja

73-1 at dinner

Hopefully he can give em a good licking this afternoon

Blott

I think it hit middle stump, some leave. I would have made them bat till 1.

TommyDickfingers

Need someone to have a 'Broady Streak' after lunch, 2 or 3 tumble quickly.

Blott

Quote from: TommyDickfingers on June 28, 2023, 01:08:01 PMNeed someone to have a 'Broady Streak' after lunch, 2 or 3 tumble quickly.
fingers crossed.

We lost the 1st test on dropped catches I hope this isn't the same.

tunstall

England's front line spinner is now on.....

We're struggling here

The pitch and cloud cover haven't helped as we had hoped and a lot of our bowling has been poor

Redsteel (Moderator)

Quote from: tunstall on June 28, 2023, 03:48:56 PMEngland's front line spinner is now on.....

We're struggling here

The pitch and cloud cover haven't helped as we had hoped and a lot of our bowling has been poor

Bowling hasn't been bad, lost count how many want through, by a midgies dick. Again fine margins, dropped catch earlier on. Certainly need a few quick wkts to bring us back into it.

FYI I'm in the rubber dub dub watching it, my first beer as a 50yr old  :mick:

Johnny Thunder