5 years ago Stan Anderson passed away

Started by erimus74, June 11, 2023, 02:48:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

erimus74

On June 10th 2018

Stan Anderson,  born February 1933
After playing for & captaining 3 north east clubs became Boro's manager in April 1966 through to January manager 1973

The 1st Boro manager when I started going to Ayresome Park, sadly my dad couldn't remember my 1st league game, Orient or Birmingham, I know it was towards the back end of December1971,  my dad took me & my younger brother to our 1st Boro game & since that day me & my younger brother were hooked, 52 years later the Boro are still a big part of my life

Stan signed my favourite Boro player of all time in John Hickton & the best player, IMHO, to play for the Boro in Graeme Souness, he signed a number of quality players for the Boro & along with the signing of legends such as Willie Whigham, Stuey Boam, Alan Foggon, John Craggs & the introduction of Jim Platt, David Armstrong, David Mills & the late, great Willie Maddren, via the youth set up, he was putting together the best Boro team in my time following the Boro. Sadly he resigned as he thought he had taken the club as far as he could

The biggest compliment I could give Stan being the following season,1973-74, big Jack who took over & with the signing of another legend in Bobby Murdoch, stormed the league, winning the division with 15 points spare

The 1st game I do remember attending, along with our Kev was an FAC 3rd round replay, January 1972 against 1st division giants Man City, Boro winning 1-0, John Hickton scoring with an attendance of 40,000

RIP Stan xx

tunstall

I loved Thunderbirds when I was a kid

erimus74

Quote from: tunstall on June 11, 2023, 03:32:10 PMI loved Thunderbirds when I was a kid

You will never, ever & ever again get anyone to open the famous line,  5, 4, 3, 2, 1 Thunderbirds are go, anywhere as good as the original