Middlesbrough v Stoke City match thread

Started by erimus74, September 24, 2024, 02:29:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

erimus74

Boro, who have gone two games without tasting victory, will not only want to gain revenge for that league cup thrashing but hopefully, record a morale boosting win against a team we very rarely do well against & record only our second home win of the season

Following their second straight defeat, Stoke, who sit 2 places below the Boro in the Championship & two points fewer, come to the Riverside for the second time in just over a month, having won 5-0 here in the league cup back in August will be smarting from their last Championship fixture losing 3-1 at home to Hull City, one plus for Stoke, they have a new manager, hopefully fingers & toes crossed it won't be a new manager bounce

Michael Carrick & his coaching staff have a week to tweak a few things to our playing style, the last two managers spoke in the media in the buildup to the upcoming game on how we'll play & how the game pans out I can see Stoke setting up similar to Preston & Portsmouth, they'll sit deep, allowing the Boro to have the ball, they'll be ugly, time waste & frustrate the crowd

Will he be brave enough to make changes, as much as they talk about us having a good squad with two players in each position Michael Carrick still remains loyal to the same starting eleven, unless his hands are forced, injury/suspension & know he's spoke in nthe media regarding not changing his style of play, I dont think he could or needs to but to be a bit more bold, faster on the front foot, camp in the oppositions half instead of passing the ball from defenders back to Dieng & slowly moving up to the half way, more energy is needed we have the personnel
Will we see the return of Riley McGree for Finn Azaz, VDB for Edmundson & a first start for Ben Doak ahead of Isaiah Jones. Howson, Forss, not to far away either, with Lenihan & Fry someway behind

Our three league home games have started similar, breaking in to our opponents penalty area early doors then with little rewards the away team starts to gain confidence & we sort of fall back & revert to a slower, walking pace, with our opponents breaking through at pace, happened with Swansea, Portsmouth & Preston, all 3 teams could have snatched victory.
Is Carrick protecting our defence more, with the slow build up to keep the ball as much hoping for a break through but then, with Barlasar rarely on the pitch we don't have anyone to pin point a pass & along with McGree,, most of the time out injured, who has the skill to go past players we become limited

25/04/1903 - Our 1st home league game against Stoke City ended in a 1-1 draw, it was our final home fixture at our Linthorpe Road ground before moving to Ayresome Park – Match report attached

14/3/2022 - This fixture a couple of seasons back seen Chuba score our 1,000th goal at the Riverside in all competitions for a hard fought 1-1 draw

4/11/1933 - Biggest home win v Stoke 6-1 (included in the photos), with a few 5 goal wins thrown in

If we score on Saturday, it will be the 100th home goal on Teesside we've scored past our visitors in all home fixtures

It'll be the 55th meeting between both teams on Teesside with the following record
Won - 32
Drew - 12
Lost - 10
Goals scored - 99
Goals against - 51

Home hat tricks v Stoke City

7/04/1906 - Boro 5 Stoke City 0 - Alf Common became the 7th different hat trick goalscorer when he notched his 2nd Boro hat trick, the club's 7th hat trick, 3rd at Ayresome Park & 8th in total

4 goals v Stoke City  

7/09/1904 - Boro 5 Stoke City 4 - Micky Fenton became the 18th different Boro player to score 4 in one game 14th time 4 had been scored at Ayresome Park & 18th out of the 30 in total we've scored throughout our history

Home penalties v Stoke

16/12/1922 George Elliott became the 13th different penalty goalscorer Boro won 3-1 1st division
22/04/1950 Wilf Mannion became the 31st different penalty goalscorer Boro won 3-1 1st division
21/02/1981 Bosco Jankovic became the 46th different penalty goalscorer Boro won 3-1 1st division

Home Boro debuts v Stoke City

25/10/1924 - Hugh Good won 1-0
22/09/1934 - Ernest Coleman lost 2-0
16/04/1960 - Bob Appleby won 1-0 - Our 29th goalkeeper
26/09/1981 - Bobby Thomson won 3-2
13/08/2016 - Alvaro Negrado drew 1-1 - 81st loaned player - Loaned from Valencia - 49th at the Riverside
13/08/2016 - Marten de Room drew 1-1
13/08/2016 - Antonio Barragan drew 1-1
13/08/2016 - Victor Valdes - Our 72nd goalkeeper

A number of players who played for both team

John Mahoney - John Neals first signing & our record signing at the time, joined the Boro in July 1977 for £90,000. "I didn't want to leave but when I looked at the fixture list, Stoke were away at Mansfield & Boro at home to Liverpool, I knew I had to go." He spent two seasons at Ayresome Park making 90 appearances.
Robert Huth – signed for Stoke for £5 million on a 4-year contract on 27 August 2009.
Tuncay Şanlı - signed for Stoke for £5 million on a 4-year contract on 28 August 2009.
Mark Crossley - 2003 Boro loaned Crossley to Stoke where he played in 11 matches helping the club avoid relegation from the First Division.
Chris Kamara - February 1993 LL signed CM on a one-month loan, his spell at the Boro lasted just five games, the Boro couldn't afford to offer him a permanent contract.
Andrew Davies – Played twice for Stoke following a £1.3million transfer from Southampton.
Ritchie De Laet - On 17 August 2007, he signed a 3 year contract with Championship club Stoke City for an initial £100,000 fee, didn't play a single game for Stoke, played 10 games on loan for the Boro.
Graham Kavanagh - Has the honour of scoring Stoke's first goal at the Britannia Stadium in a League Cup match against Rochdale. He left Stoke in the summer of 2001 after making 244 appearances, scoring 45 goals.
Mick Kennedy - Made 39 appearances for Stoke in 1990–91 scoring three goals in a poor season which saw Stoke finish in their lowest ever league position of 14th in the third tier.
John Eustace - 2003 loaned from Coventry he only made one substitute appearance for the Boro, away to Liverpool, where he appeared for only the final two minutes of the game, signed for Stoke the following season.
Shay Given - Kept ten clean sheets in 16 league games while at the Boro.
Nicky Mohan – 99 games for the Boro, 92 games for Stoke.
Dean Whitehead – 132 games for Stoke, 55 games for the Boro
Brian Horne - 1992 he played in goal 4 times for the Boro & one game or Stoke
Dave Kitson – Stoke 34 games 3 goals, Boro 6 games 3 goals.
Frazer Richardson – Stoke 13 games, 1 goal, Boro11 games 0 goals.

Managed Stoke & connections with the Boro:

Chris Kamara Played for the Boro
Brian Little brought as 1st team coach by Bruce Rioch, before becoming Darlington's manager in 89

Cameron Jerome, who between 2011 & 2014 played 50 games for Stoke, was released from the Boro in 2003, who was a 92nd-minute substitute, along with David Murphy & Stuart Parnaby, 2 ex Boro players, as Birmingham won the 2011 League Cup, defeating Arsenal 2–1 at Wembley

TeessideTopgun

Turning Point !!!

All gonna click

3-0 to Mighty Boro

UTB👍

But what do I know 😉

SteveG66

I'm really enjoying looking through all these old programmes and newspaper reports. What memories they evoke!

Great writing too Erimus! Thanks! 

Clem Fandango

2-0 to the mighty Boro.  The come back begins here.

:champs:

Nosmo-King

Stoke one of our bogey sidea. Carrick hasn't beaten them at the Riverside. 0-2......

teamboro

Great write up again E-Man the last few games have been frustrating especially last week against Blunderland hopefully we can turn it around on Saturday

2-0 Mighty Reds 💪💪💪💪
TEESSIDER and Proud  of the area unlike some and I'm not a Racist

erimus74

Quote from: teamboro on September 24, 2024, 06:54:23 PMGreat write up again E-Man the last few games have been frustrating especially last week against Blunderland hopefully we can turn it around on Saturday

2-0 Mighty Reds 💪💪💪💪

Cheers teamboro

erimus74

Quote from: SteveG66 on September 24, 2024, 05:18:05 PMI'm really enjoying looking through all these old programmes and newspaper reports. What memories they evoke!

Great writing too Erimus! Thanks! 

Thanks SteveG66

erimus74

Quote from: TeessideTopgun on September 24, 2024, 04:11:06 PMTurning Point !!!

All gonna click

3-0 to Mighty Boro

UTB👍

But what do I know 😉

TT, your opinion is just as valid as the next mans opinion 👍

TeessideTopgun

Quote from: erimus74 on September 24, 2024, 08:26:48 PM

All gonna click

3-0 to Mighty Boro

UTB👍

But what do I know 😉

Try telling my wife that 😂😂😂

erimus74

Quote from: TeessideTopgun on September 24, 2024, 10:50:06 PM
Quote from: erimus74 on September 24, 2024, 08:26:48 PM

All gonna click

3-0 to Mighty Boro

UTB👍

But what do I know 😉

Try telling my wife that 😂😂😂

🤣

LIDDLE_TOWERS999

BORO 1 STOKE 1

CAN SEE US STRUGGLING AGAIN WITH THE TACTICS CARRICK IS STICKING BY...

NEW MANAGER COMES IN TOO SO PLAYERS TRY HARDER....IF IT'S ANOTHER HOME GUBBING WELL I THINK THERE'S GONNA BE A LOT OF BED WETTING GOING ON...🙄🙄🙄

BEST GET SOME  PLASTIC COVERS FOR YER MATTRESSES LADS  🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

I HOPE WE GUBB EM 4 NIL....BUT WE CAN'T SCORE FOR SHIT  :rav:
GET WELL SOON STEVE G

In With the Lurpak

Could well end in BOO'S  :diego:

Fingers crossed for a 2 - 1 win though.

Johnny Thunder

erimus74

Quote from: LIDDLE_TOWERS999 on September 25, 2024, 02:31:42 AMBORO 1 STOKE 1

CAN SEE US STRUGGLING AGAIN WITH THE TACTICS CARRICK IS STICKING BY...

NEW MANAGER COMES IN TOO SO PLAYERS TRY HARDER....IF IT'S ANOTHER HOME GUBBING WELL I THINK THERE'S GONNA BE A LOT OF BED WETTING GOING ON...🙄🙄🙄

BEST GET SOME  PLASTIC COVERS FOR YER MATTRESSES LADS  🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

I HOPE WE GUBB EM 4 NIL....BUT WE CAN'T SCORE FOR SHIT  :rav:

I can understood where you're coming from & if the fans see that nothings changing, same eleven, passing between the back slowly to midfield then the fans will become restless, the atmosphere will drop & it'll suit Stoke, their fans will pick up on this, very small margins I know but I hope Carrick isnt so stubborn to think its this way only

He's still learning so hopefully he picks up on this weeks training

Clem Fandango

Quote from: erimus74 on September 25, 2024, 06:26:52 PMHe's still learning so hopefully he picks up on this weeks training
He is still learning, and it's difficult working around I injuries and integrating new players etc.  All true BUT he has managed 98 games now is no rookie.  He should now be able to react to developing situations (eg in games etc) and change them.  Trying and seeing the same thing not work time and again is frustrating and he should have at least a Plan B to turn to. 

erimus74

Quote from: Clem Fandango on September 25, 2024, 06:32:31 PM
Quote from: erimus74 on September 25, 2024, 06:26:52 PMHe's still learning so hopefully he picks up on this weeks training
He is still learning, and it's difficult working around I injuries and integrating new players etc.  All true BUT he has managed 98 games now is no rookie.  He should now be able to react to developing situations (eg in games etc) and change them.  Trying and seeing the same thing not work time and again is frustrating and he should have at least a Plan B to turn to. 

I agree, just playing devils advocate I suppose

I was thinking when we were buying these players & rumours of Michael Carrick signing a new contract & was hoping it would happen & happy it did

But the bottom line, new managers very rarely last 3 seasons at a club, unless they have something extra, theyre usually found out & struggle after that, fingers crossed he has that something special to take us through this sticky patch

LIDDLE_TOWERS999

Quote from: Clem Fandango on September 25, 2024, 06:32:31 PM

SEE BILL MURRAY....GROUNDHOG DAY  :rav: 
GET WELL SOON STEVE G

Redsteel (Moderator)

erimus74

Hey, this needs to be close to the top not slipping off the first page, 😢

erimus74

Just listened to this on youtube, not a big lover of these TBH due to the same mundabne questions, with Carrick keeping everything close to his chest, quite boring & uninteresting, he must hate doing these everyweek

But I thought after looking edgy & nervous at the beginning, as if he thought the room are losing confidence in him that he can turn it around, IMO, he handled himself & spoke well

newyddion

We're gonna have to see a reaction.. lets hope we see it on Satda. 2-0 to the berra

erimus74

Found another Boro v Stoke press photo from one of my albums

tunstall

That New Years Day game in 1990 was one of the worst games i've ever witnessed - shocking performance

I'd like to see us score some goals like.....

Boro 0 Stoke 2

erimus74

Quote from: tunstall on September 27, 2024, 07:45:08 AMThat New Years Day game in 1990 was one of the worst games i've ever witnessed - shocking performance

I'd like to see us score some goals like.....

Boro 0 Stoke 2
Yes that game was bad, very bad, I remember late in the second half Paul kerr, who was that would up with the ref when he gave a foul against him, Kerr physical picked the ball up & throw it aggressively in the direction of the ref, within minutes Rioch subbed him, we lost 1-0