Boro v Sheff Wednesday match thread

Started by erimus74, March 29, 2024, 08:51:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

erimus74

Two quick games in succession over the easter period, good Friday (this afternoon) we travelled to Hampshire to take on a Southampton team hoping to close the gap on Leicester City who lost earlier in the day & after our goal lived a charmed life a lovely header from ELL from a Gilbert cross gave us a share of the points & put a dent in the Saints chances of fighting the top two for automatic promotion & next up on Monday are struggling Sheff Weds, who today fought out a 1-1 home draw with Swansea. Wednesday remain in the relegation dog fight, were well beaten on their last away trip where they suffered a 6-0 thrashing at Ipswich

With us down to the barebones Howson played as a makeshift CB against the Saints, with Barlasar & O'Brien as our midfield duo
O'Brien did well, was a busy player against Southampton, Barlasar not so, who gave up the opportunity, with seconds remaining in the match failed to see that a through ball was on for ELL to maybe have a one on one with the keeper to win the game, it wasn't to be & in the end the draw extended our unbeaten run to 5 games, with only the one goal conceded
Clarke was my MOTM & when you think he was out for a long time with no one at the club actually knowing what his issue was that was keeping him sidelined even thinking would he actually play again, yet how ironic, since he returned toi first team action he's one of the few players who's not been injured this season by just jogging along, as many of the first team players have
Ayling had a good game, always asking for the ball, making himself available, very rarely gives the ball away, Azaz, jury's still out, no pace but definitely has skill in his locker, the rest were ok at best, to very poor
Engel whose passing was awful today, though in his defence he never gives in, doesn't let his head drop & that last gasp tackle to deny Saints a second goal was tremendous, plays against the very team, when during our horrendous start of the season run, he had such a bad first half he was subbed at HT & his position at the club was in doubt especially with Bangura signed, but he came back strong & has had more good games than bad

23/12/1899 - Boro 1 Sheff Weds 2 First game on Teesside between both teams, this will be the 59th meeting between both teams in Middlesbrough
Won - 32
Drew -14
Lost - 12
Goals scored - 126
Goals against – 61

Wednesday who are fighting for their lives, sitting second bottom on 39 points, with 2 other teams either side of them on the same number of points Huddersfield & Birmingham, with Brum sitting outside the bottom 3 on GD
You can bet your bottom dollar they'll be up for it when you take in to account our horrendously depleted team & awful home record
Gilbert has to be given his chance if Jones doesn't make it, he has to start, let's see what he can do

One player I do not want to see starting on Monday, or indeed sat on the bench, is Greenwood, he was awful against Southampton, two touches, probably three, the lad just trots around the pitch, hasn't done enough to justify been here next season, two goals yes but awful footballer

Home hat tricks v Sheff Weds

18/3/1914 – Gerrge Elliott became the 11th different Boro player to score a 1st team hat trick when he bagged his 3rd treble in a 5-2 win in a 1st division match. It was the 11th HT at Ayresome Park, 15th on Teesside & 17th in total
13/4/1936 – George Camsell became the 5th different Boro player to score 4 goals in one game, becoming the 14th player to do son in a 5-0 win
20/4/1974 – Graeme Souness became the 40th different Boro player to score a 1st team hat trick when he bagged his one & only hat trick in an 8-0 win in a 2nd division match. It was the clubs 81st HT at Ayresome Park, 85th on Teesside & 113th in total
20/12/1989 – Bernie Slaven became the 44th different Boro player to score a 1st team hat trick when he bagged his 5th Boro hat trick in a 4-1win a Zenith data systems cup tie. It was the 89th HT at Ayresome Park, 93rd on Teesside & 124th in total

Home penalties v Sheff Weds

1/9/1914 – George Elliott became our 9th different penalty goalscorer when he scored our 21st home penalty in a 3-1 defeat
19/9/1925 – Bill Birrell became our 19th different penalty goalscorer when he scored our 42nd home penalty in a 3-0 win
18/1/1997 – Both Ravanelli & Emerson scored a penalty apiece to become our 66th & 67th different penalty goalscorers, the 12th time two penalties have been converted in the same game, the 1st time this happened at the Riverside, our 214th & 215th home penalties scored, Boro winning 4-2
23/8/2014 – Grant Leadbitter became our 86th different penalty goalscorer when he scored our 248/249th home penalty, again v Sheff Weds two penalties scored in the same game, 15th time this has happened in our history, the 5th time at the Riverside, Boro losing 3-2

Debuts/last appearance home to Sheff Weds

23/12/1899 - Douglas McCorquodale made his final appearance lost 2-1
3/9/1904 - William Agnew made his debut after moving from Newcastle United in June. Harry Astley made his debut after moving from Millwall in the summer lost 3-1
15/9/1906 - Frederick Barker who became the 12th different Boro player to only play only the one game for the Boro, when he made his only appearance after moving from South Bank in the summer lost 3-1
19/9/1925 – George Jones made his debut after moving from Wigan Borough in June in a 3-0 win
7/12/1929 - Herbert Watson made his debut after moving from Pelton Fell in May 1926 won 4-1
20/1/1951 - Walter Auld made his debut after moving from Bellshill Athletic in December 1950 won 2-1
31/8/1971 - John Craggs made his debut after moving from Newcastle United this month won 2-1
15/1/1983 - Kelham O'Hanlon made his debut after joining as an apprentice. John Brownlie made his final appearance before moving to Hartlepool United in August 1984 drew 1-1
5/4/1996 - Andy Campbell made his debut after joining as a trainee won 3-1
18/1/1997 - Gianluca Festa made a goalscoring debut after moving from Inter-Milan won 4-2

21/4/1973 - Big Jack chose the Wednesday home game to watch Boro for the first time to see if he wanted the manager's job, Boro winning 3-0 with Bill Gates scoring his final Boro first team goal

Some who have represented Boro & Sheff Weds, though IMHO, most famously is the main one

John Hickton, signed from Sheff Weds in 1966
Jack Charlton managed both teams
Robbie Mustoe
Mark Proctor
David Hodgson
Ian Bailey
Darren Wood
Nigel Pearson
Adam Reach
Jordon Rhodes
Leroy Lita
Marvin Johnson
Ashley Fletcher
•   Eddie Holliday

Garry Monk managed both teams

•   Eddie Holliday was the first Boro player to leave the Boro, sign for another club then resign for the Boro, which was the case when after playing 143 games, scoring 23 goals for Boro between 1957/1962 he signed for Sheff Weds between 1962/65 then resigned for the Boro for 1965/66 season, playing 26 games, scoring 4 goals
His registration n umbers were 403 & 445

This season's inquest should be in full swing now, not just who the club are looking to sign, more importantly, why are so many players suffering muscle injuries, missing for big spells of the season, I don't think we've had a player go off injured to then miss one, or two games, its months, we must have had 5/6 years on injuries inside 7 months

tunstall

Typical Boro to lose this one

I like Sheff Wed, but I hope we have enough about us to beat em on Monday...

Executive box for me for this one

My last day of freedom, back to graft on Tuesday

UTB

Blott

Brilliant stuff Erimus as normal. We once went to Hillsborough, I think Boxing Day with my lads, probably over 25 years ago, we lost 1 0 the most boring game ever, it cost me £150, I can remember thinking FFS is it worth it.
It was ball breaking cold, my lads loved every minute.

LIDDLE_TOWERS999

BORO 1 WENDIES 2  🙄🙄🙄

FORSS AND MCGREE OUT THE REST OF THE SEASON...

THROW THE KIDS IN....SEE WHOS GOOD ENOUGH FOR NEXT SEASON  🤔🤔🤔
GET WELL SOON STEVE G

erimus74

Quote from: Blott on March 29, 2024, 11:55:07 PMBrilliant stuff Erimus as normal. We once went to Hillsborough, I think Boxing Day with my lads, probably over 25 years ago, we lost 1 0 the most boring game ever, it cost me £150, I can remember thinking FFS is it worth it.
It was ball breaking cold, my lads loved every minute.

Cheers Blotty 👍

tunstall

Viv Anderson also played for both clubs....

teamboro

Brilliant read as usual Erimus your the mam potential banana skin game is this one as we always play bad against teams we should on paper beat and it's at home we don't play well at home

Mighty Reds 1-1 shef Wed
TEESSIDER and Proud  of the area unlike some and I'm not a Racist

In With the Lurpak

Westlane_rightwinger

Cracking read Erimus!

They've come back well in the latter part of season as they looked odds on before Xmas for the drop.

Tricky one but 1 - 0 fingers crossed.

erimus74

Quote from: tunstall on March 30, 2024, 05:25:43 AMViv Anderson also played for both clubs....

Excellent shout tunstall 👌

erimus74

Quote from: Westlane_rightwinger on March 30, 2024, 07:44:30 AMCracking read Erimus!

They've come back well in the latter part of season as they looked odds on before Xmas for the drop.

Tricky one but 1 - 0 fingers crossed.

Cheers Westlane_rightwinger

AtomicDog

10-0 written all over it Mr Erimus Sir

🐾
Why must I feel like that . . . Why must I chase the 🐈

Blott

It's a boring one for me, drive to North Ormesby watch the game and then off to work.

Expecting a win.

Redcar Belgrade

My best mate is an Owl so plenty riding on this. 1-1 I reckon.

borope

On Days for this one, Just renewed but it was touch and go.

RiversideRifle

Taking my daughter. If we win she can come back
UTB

erimus74

Quote from: borope on March 30, 2024, 03:12:39 PMOn Days for this one, Just renewed but it was touch and go.

Nights for me, so leave with 5 minutes to go then straight to work

Blott

We will be leaving at the same time, nights for me too.

Redsteel (Moderator)

Smoggers51

Great write up once again Erimus.We rode our luck a bit on Friday but I thought we played with commitment and apart from a few silly individual mistakes we deserved that point.Don't know if it showed on the tv but the roar from us was one of relief and made the long journey home more bearable.Tricky game tomorrow but I feel we have enough for a 2-1 win.UTMB!!!

Gingerpig

erimus74

Quote from: Smoggers51 on March 31, 2024, 05:18:40 PMGreat write up once again Erimus.We rode our luck a bit on Friday but I thought we played with commitment and apart from a few silly individual mistakes we deserved that point.Don't know if it showed on the tv but the roar from us was one of relief and made the long journey home more bearable.Tricky game tomorrow but I feel we have enough for a 2-1 win.UTMB!!!

Cheers Smoggers51, we should say its an easier fixture, but knowing Boro nothings ever easy

Gingerpig

I remember the 8-0 game  only time i was bored with how far apart we were at the time , brutal brilliance from Jacks side