Saints v Boro match thread

Started by erimus74, March 26, 2024, 03:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

erimus74

BEST WISHES MOGGA

Well, one more fixture to go & that's another boring, boring, utter boring international break over & done with thankfully, the last one till next season

Then the proper football resumes
We've now gone 4 games unbeaten, winning 3, drawing one with 3 cleansheets on the bounce, equalled the one we achieved earlier in the season & the best under Carrick, so hopefully we can extend the run with Southampton up next & both, our 4-game unbeaten run & 4 cleansheets (record under Carrick) will be put to the test against automatic promotion hopefuls Saints, though, for me, most likely the playoffs are the best they'll achieve

I think the chance of us reaching the playoffs has long gone, though with respect to the team's chasing auto's & playoff players we still have to play our strongest team, but Michael Carrick should still introduce a few Academy players in & around the match day squad, who IMO, will give more than Silvera, Greenwood, Thomas, Gilbert, Hoppe, who have had their chances this season, in Hoppe & Gilberts defence they've had limited cameo appearances, but still little to no impact
Carrick has to show faith in a number of players who could play a big part in our future success, play these young lads & see what they have, rather than play them in a league cup tie against lower league opposition then go missing for eternity

Back to St Mary's game, our only win at their new ground was just over 20 years ago when Malcolm Christie scored the only goal of the game, so a few stats to overcome there if we are to come through this game intact

How will the Boro line up?
Well over the past few games I've sounded positive regarding players returning from the treatment room & our injuries seem to be clearing up then bam, after another unimportant boring international friendly we have McGree whose season, mirrors Boro's season, within 20 minutes' walk off injured playing for Australian, along with Forss, who pulled up at home to Blackburn & could be out for the season, what a nightmare it's been on the injury front

Boro sit in 10th place seven points behind 6th placed Norwich & 19 points behind 4th place Southampton

24/02/1906 – FAC 3rd round Southampton 6 Boro 1

This will be the 29th meeting between both teams in Hampshire with the following record

Won - 5
Drew - 7
Lost - 16
Goals scored - 34
Goals against - 58

A number of players who played for both team

David Armstrong
Neil Maddison
Phil Kite - Our 45th goalkeeper - Our 6th loaned player which 4 were goalkeepers
John Gittens - 15th loaned - Loaned from Southampton. Played 12 games, one goal & what a goal to score for your only goal, signed permanently the following season
Ian Baird
Jack Stepens - 40th league cup debutant - 75th loaned player - Loaned from Southampton - 53rd at the Riverside
Sam McQueen - 90th loaned player - Loaned from Southampton - 57th at the Riverside
Gaston Ramirez - 79th loaned player - Loaned from Southampton & after 18 games, scoring 7 goals he signed permanently the following season - 57th at the Riverside
Frazer Richardson - I was at his debut away to Charlton Athletic, under Mogga, Boro winning 1-0
Tom Coxon
Norman Highman

When David Armstrong singed for Southampton for £600k in the summer of 1981 he become their record signing

No away hat tricks v Southampton

Away debuts/last appearance v Southampton

11/4/1925 - George Elliott made his last appearance drew 1-1
15/2/1964 - James Townsend made his debut after moving from St Johnstone this month drew 2-2
121/3/1981 - Colin Ross made his debut after joining as an apprentice lost 1-0
19/9/1981 - Darren Wood made his debut after joining as an apprentice lost 2-0

2 away penalties v Southampton

21/1/1961 – Bill Harris became the clubs 36th different penalty goalscorer when he scored our 58th away penalty in a 3-2 defeat

4/3/2000 – Hamilton Ricard became the clubs 69th different penalty goalscorer when he scored our 102nd away penalty in a 1-1 draw

In With the Lurpak

Enjoyed that read Erumis  :cheers:

I am a big fan of Matt Le Tissier  :klippety: Class player in his day, spent his whole career at Southampton he was a goal machine he's a top fella out of football as well who's brought a lot of attention to people who have been injured or killed by the Covid Vaccine Id love to have a day session on the lash with him  :bigjack  :cheers: 

Could be  decent game this one with 24 points still to play for with some extreme luck and a good run it might get interesting come the last game ill go for a Boro upset and a win by 2 goals to 1 

erimus74

Quote from: In With the Lurpak on March 26, 2024, 05:04:03 PMEnjoyed that read Erumis  :cheers:

I am a big fan of Matt Le Tissier  :klippety: Class player in his day, spent his whole career at Southampton he was a goal machine he's a top fella out of football as well who's brought a lot of attention to people who have been injured or killed by the Covid Vaccine Id love to have a day session on the lash with him  :bigjack  :cheers: 

Could be  decent game this one with 24 points still to play for with some extreme luck and a good run it might get interesting come the last game ill go for a Boro upset and a win by 2 goals to 1 
Cheers Lurpak, yes class player, who scored his fair share of belters

I can remember when Newcastle were going head to head with Man Utd for the title & winning 1-0 at the Dell until Le Tissier took control, he equalised with a stunning freekick then a winner with a beauty goal

teamboro

Great read as usual Erimus I think it's going to be a hard game especially down at ST Mary's

Saint's 2-0 Mighty Reds
TEESSIDER and Proud  of the area unlike some and I'm not a Racist

erimus74

Quote from: teamboro on March 26, 2024, 06:09:09 PMGreat read as usual Erimus I think it's going to be a hard game especially down at ST Mary's

Saint's 2-0 Mighty Reds

Cheers teamboro

AtomicDog

Well the saints won't be going marching in to this one Mr Erimus!

0-12

🐾
Why must I feel like that . . . Why must I chase the 🐈

erimus74

Quote from: AtomicDog on March 26, 2024, 08:16:24 PMWell the saints won't be going marching in to this one Mr Erimus!

0-12

🐾

🐶😂👌

Nosmo-King

Wish I was at home for this one, could have got a ticket by the looks of things.

Last time I went, you dumped your car in a field to park and then there was free double decker transport to St Mary's. Great system that worked well.

Don't know if they still do this- but worth checking out. You parked near a big Tesco if memory serves me right.

LIDDLE_TOWERS999

SAINTS 3 BORO 1

🙄🙄🙄

ARMSTRONG BRACE....
GET WELL SOON STEVE G

Smoggers51

Great write up as always Erimus 👍.Doesn't Joe Lumley play for them ?
This is a tricky little game this one ,head says Saints win but the Smoggie heart in me is going for a 2-2 draw.
UTMB !!!

erimus74

Quote from: Smoggers51 on March 27, 2024, 10:06:30 AMGreat write up as always Erimus 👍.Doesn't Joe Lumley play for them ?
This is a tricky little game this one ,head says Saints win but the Smoggie heart in me is going for a 2-2 draw.
UTMB !!!

Didnt know that Smoggers51 thought he was still at Reading, good shout

Southampton sign ex-Middlesbrough keeper Lumley - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66433517

Smoggers51

Cheers Erimus.You have a great knowledge and a wealth of facts about the Boro.Always look forward to your pre match presentations 👍.

erimus74

Quote from: Smoggers51 on March 27, 2024, 10:34:51 AMCheers Erimus.You have a great knowledge and a wealth of facts about the Boro.Always look forward to your pre match presentations 👍.

Thanks smoggers51

Westlane_rightwinger

With Joe Clumsley in goal we have a chance. 2 - 2.

Johnny Thunder

Redsteel (Moderator)

Blott

I wish I was going. But life comes first.

1-2 Boro win.

Kippers

Why are they called 'the Saints' ?

LIDDLE_TOWERS999

Quote from: Kippers on March 27, 2024, 07:58:34 PMWhy are they called 'the Saints' ?

FIRST FOUNDED AS A CHURCH TEAM....ST MARYS YOUNG MANS ASSOCIATION 😇😇😇👍
GET WELL SOON STEVE G

LIDDLE_TOWERS999

Quote from: Westlane_rightwinger on March 27, 2024, 10:51:27 AMWith Joe Clumsley in goal we have a chance. 2 - 2.

BAZUNA BE IN GOAL....👍
GET WELL SOON STEVE G

Ural Quntz (Moderator)

Quote from: LIDDLE_TOWERS999 on March 28, 2024, 04:40:54 AM
Quote from: Kippers on March 27, 2024, 07:58:34 PMWhy are they called 'the Saints' ?

FIRST FOUNDED AS A CHURCH TEAM....ST MARYS YOUNG MANS ASSOCIATION 😇😇😇👍

Ooh - suit you sir.....

erimus74

teamboro

Match day is upon us roll on 3pm💪💪💪💪💪💪💪
TEESSIDER and Proud  of the area unlike some and I'm not a Racist

erimus74

No pressure on us so hopefully we can go there relaxed & put on a good performance, total opposite of this time last season when playoffs were almost guarenteed & the team were just sort of going through the motions