Boro v Blackburn match thread

Started by erimus74, March 15, 2024, 05:34:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

erimus74

Get well soon Mogga

Just like buses, you wait ages for one to come along then 3 turn up at once
3 wins on the bounce, two of those away from home with 2 cleansheets, what relegation scrap

The Championship is a crazy league, leading up to the Norwich game we were sitting in 14th place, 6 points & 6 places above 3rd bottom Stoke City with a minus 4 GD, things were looking bleak for the Boro, our season was getting worse with what was looking a bottom half finish & within 30 minutes of our midweek home game v Norwich City things didn't look like they were going to change, we found ourselves second best, trailing 1-0 & looking at another home defeat watching another lackluster performance  & wondering when our next 3 points will be coming from, then all of a sudden that changed, the ref sent off a Norwich player, we immediately took control of the game, equalised soon after, went in front before half time, increased our lead in the second half & finally recording our first home league win of 2024 & we haven't looked back since, as we followed up that impressive display with a good, solid performance at QPR & then Birmingham City on Tuesday night with the same team for 3 games on the trot

So, after our midweek win away at Birmingham we play hosts to Blackburn Rovers at the Riverside, 5 points & 3 places below 6th placed Norwich City, with a plus one GD, things are starting to look up, hopefully we can carry on this form, finish of the season in style with a good finish to as close to the playoff pack, as opposed to close to the bottom 3

Blackburn Rovers without a win since the 10th February will take comfort in the fact that they have an impressive record on Teesside, probably the best away record of any opposing team to play at the Boro
sit in 18th place, 3 points & 4 places above 3rd bottom Huddersfield & with a minus 13 GD, this must surely, fingers crossed, on paper anyway, be a good chance for us to record a 4th win on the bounce & with Norwich away to Stoke, Coventry & Hull not playing it gives us a chance to move closer to the top 6 putting more pressure on the teams in & around the playoffs, as they say, a week in football is a long time

Losing at home game to Stoke City last October it ended our good run of 6 games on the bounce, following our loss at Stoke City earlier in the month we have started our good winning run

A few of the older Boro fans from a certain age will remember a former Blackburn Rovers player called Noel Brotherston, sadly no longer with us, when he finished football he became a painter & decorator, sadly passed away at the tender age of 38, who, on a few occasions, tortured us at Ayresome Park

11th April 1903 - Our 1st home fixture v Blackburn, Boro winning 4-0 at Ayresome Park

This will be our 72nd fixture v Blackburn on Teesside with the crazy following record
Won - 26
Drew - 19
Lost - 26
Goals scored - 96
Goals against - 86

3 home hat tricks v Blackburn

17/01/1914 - Boro 3 Blackburn 0 - George Elliott became the 11th different hat trick goalscorer when he notched his 3rd Boro hat trick & the clubs 10th Ayresome Park hat trick
22/4/1946 - Boro 5 Blackburn 1 - Thomas Murphy became the 26th different hat trick goalscorer when he notched his only Boro hat trick & the clubs 53rd Ayresome Park hat trick
5/12/1992 - Boro 3 Blackburn 2 - John Hendrie became the 48th different hat trick goalscorer when he notched his 1st Boro hat trick & the clubs 90th Ayresome Park hat trick

6 Home penalties v Blackburn

11/4/1903 – W MacAuley became the clubs 4th different penalty goalscorer when he netted our 5th home penalty in a 4-0 win at Linthorpe road
17/1/1914 – George Elliott became the clubs 13th different penalty goalscorer when he netted our 19th home penalty in a 3-0 win
George Elliott became the clubs13th different penalty goalscorer when he netted our 19th home penalty in a 3-0 win
3/12/1955 – Lindy Delaphena became the clubs 35th different penalty goalscorer when he netted our 140th home penalty in a 1-0 win
11/3/1963 – Arthur Kaye became the clubs 38th different penalty goalscorer when he netted our 107th home penalty in a 3-1 win
17/10/1998 – Hamilton Ricard became the clubs 69th different penalty goalscorer when he netted our 220th home penalty in a 2-1 win

Home debut/final appearance v Blackburn

12/4/1909 – Harry Kent made his final appearance before moving to Watford in August won 1-0
29/4/1911 - Robert Gibson made his final appearance before moving to Newcastle United in August lost 3-2
21/9/1912 - Arthur Brown made his final appearance drew 0-0
19/12/1914 - Joseph Hisbent made his last appearance lost 4-1
3/9/1919 - Rueben Butler made a goalscoring debut after moving from Spennymoor in October 1912 drew 2-2
8/3/1924 - William Hick made a goalscoring debut after moving from South Shields in February won 2-0
17/9/1927 - Frederick Kennedy made his debut after moving from Everton in May. won 2-0
21/4/1930 - Reg Freeman made his final appearance before moving to Rotherham United in May lost 4-2
6/5/1933 - Michael Fenton made a goalscoring debut after moving from South Bank East End in March. John Martin made his debut after moving from Horden Colliery in January 1932 won 4-0
22/3/1947 - Harold Mattinson made his final appearance before moving to Preston North End in March 1949 lost 1-0
26/3/1955 - Brian Phillips made his debut after moving from Altrincham in June 1954 won 4-3
12/4/1958 - Lloyd Delaphena made his final appearance before moving to Mansfield Town in June lost 3-2
12/9/1970 - Brian Myton made his final appearance drew 1-1
17/11/1984 – Martin Thomas our 2nd loaned player & 2nd loaned goalkeeper made his final appearance before returning to Newcastle United after his loan period expired lost 2-1
17/3/1990 - James Phillips made his debut after moving from Oxford United this month lost 3-0
22/2/1991 - John Gittens drew 0-0 - becoming our 15th loaned player when loaned from Southampton
17/10/1998 - Brian Deane made his debut won 2-1
11/8/2007 - Jeremy Aliadiere made his debut lost 2-1
11/8/2007 - Tuncay made his lost 2-1
6/2/2025 - Richie De Laet becoming our 78th loaned player when loaned from Leicester drew 1-1
6/2/2025 - Enrique Sola becoming our 79th loaned player when loaned from Athletico Bilbao drew 1-1
6/2/2025 - Jordon Rhodes debut against his former club drew 1-1

A few players who played for both teams

Stewart Downing
Darragh Lenihan
Jordon Rhodes
Daniel Ayala
Shay Given
Andy Todd
Richie Smallwood
Danny Graham
Harry Chapman
Jayson Reutwiler

Mogga managed both teams, with Mark Venus as his No2

5th December 1992 - John Hendrie scored our 1st ever PL hat trick when scoring all 3 goals in a 3-2 home win at Ayresome Park

Nosmo-King

Great stuff, Erimus. I remember the covers from the late 60's programmes! John Hendrie hat trick you've noted - one of my all time favourites - always gave 100%.

Result tomorrow? Feeling confident, 2-1 to us.

teamboro

Great write up again Erimus potentially a banana skin as you say they have a good record on Teesside if Carrick sticks with the same formation

3-0 Mighty Reds
TEESSIDER and Proud  of the area unlike some and I'm not a Racist

Redsteel (Moderator)

0-1 to them, bringing us back to reality. Too many people having high hopes again, and we know what happens when you expect a boro win!!

LIDDLE_TOWERS999

BORO 3 ROVERS 1

LATHE
FORSS
MCNAIR

💪💪💪
GET WELL SOON STEVE G

AtomicDog

Excellent as always Erimus

I'm gonna have to go for . . .

10-0

🐾
Why must I feel like that . . . Why must I chase the 🐈

TerryCochranesSocks

Fantastic stuff Erimus.
Stuart Ripley another who played for both.

Boro 2-1 

:carrick1:

John Trebor

Good stuff Erimus.
Those teams from the 1982 programme - is that Norman Bell the same Norman Bell who pissed me off at Wolves in 1981?

Gingerpig

Was my fav away trip Blackburn , that boozer just outside away end was brilliant .....if you could get in .

A grindey 2-0 i hope

Johnny Thunder

TommyDickfingers

My Mam has had the big C the last couple of years but thankfully seems to be beating it. She loves watching the Boro so me and my sisters got her a hospitality ticket for tomorrows game so she can watch in relative comfort and I'm taking her.

For that reason 7-1 to Boro.

Redsteel (Moderator)

Quote from: TommyDickfingers on March 15, 2024, 10:31:24 AMMy Mam has had the big C the last couple of years but thankfully seems to be beating it. She loves watching the Boro so me and my sisters got her a hospitality ticket for tomorrows game so she can watch in relative comfort and I'm taking her.

Hope Boro put on a show for your Ma TD. Good to hear she is beating it pal.

erimus74

Quote from: Nosmo-King on March 15, 2024, 05:40:15 AMGreat stuff, Erimus. I remember the covers from the late 60's programmes! John Hendrie hat trick you've noted - one of my all time favourites - always gave 100%.

Result tomorrow? Feeling confident, 2-1 to us.

Cheers Nosmo-king, yes love the old programmes

erimus74

Quote from: teamboro on March 15, 2024, 06:26:33 AMGreat write up again Erimus potentially a banana skin as you say they have a good record on Teesside if Carrick sticks with the same formation

3-0 Mighty Reds

Cheers teamboro, hope you dads feeling a bit better

erimus74

Quote from: John Trebor on March 15, 2024, 09:26:16 AMGood stuff Erimus.
Those teams from the 1982 programme - is that Norman Bell the same Norman Bell who pissed me off at Wolves in 1981?
Cheers John Trebor

TeessideTopgun

Another cracker Erimus ( do you ever go out ? 😂😂 )

2-0 the mighty Boro

RiversideRifle

Goals goals goals in this one fellas 4-2 boro
UTB

erimus74

Quote from: TeessideTopgun on March 15, 2024, 12:37:35 PMAnother cracker Erimus ( do you ever go out ? 😂😂 )

2-0 the mighty Boro

Cheers Topgun 😁

erimus74

Quote from: TommyDickfingers on March 15, 2024, 10:31:24 AMMy Mam has had the big C the last couple of years but thankfully seems to be beating it. She loves watching the Boro so me and my sisters got her a hospitality ticket for tomorrows game so she can watch in relative comfort and I'm taking her.

Lovely thing to do Tommy, hope you both have a fantastc day

markmywords

First memory of playing Blackburn at Ayresome. January 1970. Taken by my uncle who was Willie Whighams boozing buddy in Cochrane's club. Not sure if Blackburn scored first or they equalised to make it 1-1 but Boro had a storming finish to win 4-1. Inspired by a young Substitute David Mills who played a blinder and then got badly injured scoring and I think was out for rest of the season. 4th goal by Alan Murray who didn't manage many games for us was a diving header and the ball wedged in the net against the stanchion right in front of where we were sat in the east end.
Great how things stick in your memory from 54 years ago but ask me what I did yesterday and I'm screwed.🤣

Smoggers51

Great write up as always Erimus 👍Think tomorrow will be a tight game but we have enough in the tank to win 2-1 .Lets be "Loud and Proud "UTMB !!!

erimus74

Quote from: Smoggers51 on March 15, 2024, 05:12:44 PMGreat write up as always Erimus 👍Think tomorrow will be a tight game but we have enough in the tank to win 2-1 .Lets be "Loud and Proud "UTMB !!!

Cheers Smoggers51, wouldnt it be great if we won comfortably tomorrow, I still think we'll fall just short but at the same time it'll send a message out to the twams in & around the playoffs

RiversideRifle

Quote from: erimus74 on March 15, 2024, 07:30:59 PM
Quote from: Smoggers51 on March 15, 2024, 05:12:44 PMGreat write up as always Erimus 👍Think tomorrow will be a tight game but we have enough in the tank to win 2-1 .Lets be "Loud and Proud "UTMB !!!

Cheers Smoggers51, wouldnt it be great if we won comfortably tomorrow, I still think we'll fall just short but at the same time it'll send a message out to the twams in & around the playoffs

That's why the mackems said last season E. they made it by the skin of their teeth
UTB

In With the Lurpak

Took Boro on the footie bet so they better win  :carrick4:

LIDDLE_TOWERS999

FB-IMG-1710576684042" border="0

COME ON LETS GET THE HOME FORM BACK ON TRACK 💪💪💪💪💪💪💪💪💪💪
GET WELL SOON STEVE G