Stoke v Boro match thread

Started by erimus74, March 01, 2024, 05:20:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

erimus74

This season seems to be going from bad to worse, we started off really bad with no win in our first 7 games, then we went on a 6-game winning run then with injuries & our home form this season is slowly turning in to a disaster, no home league wins in 2024 with 3 draws & 2 defeats & not one clean sheet, our league cup run MC only saving grace

The playoffs have long gone, with Saturday's opponents Stoke City occupying the 3rd bottom position are 9 points behind the Boro, we now find ourselves looking over our shoulder at the wrong end of the Championship as we desperately need another Leicester City performance to hopefully, stop the points reduced from 9 to 6, which will mean MC changing our tactics again

Paddy McNair & Latte Lath are the latest players to return after a long time out injured, hopefully Jones & Fry are not far behind

Bottom line, at all costs, avoid defeat at Stoke

It will be the 47th away meeting between the two teams with the following record:
Won - 10
Drew - 11
Lost - 25
Goals scored – 44
Goals against - 71

27th December 1902 - The 1st away game v Stoke was on the Boro winning 2-0

3rd March 1956 - Our biggest away win v Stoke was 5-2

17/1/1976 - Played at Port Vale FC due to storm damage at Stoke City's Victoria Ground lost 1-0

First/last appearance v Stoke City

27/12/1902 - Robert Macfarlane made his final appearance before moving to Aberdeen in July 1904 won 2-0
19/11/1904 - Thomas Craig made his final appearance before moving to Falkirk in 1905 lost 3-1
25/101924 Hugh Good won 1-0
22/9/1934 - Ernest Coleman made his debut after moving from Arsenal in August lost 2-0
27/9/1980 – Jim Stewart made his final appearance before moving to Glasgow Rangers in March 1981 lost 1-0

One hat trick away to Stoke City

12th December 1959 - Division Two Stoke 2 Boro 5 - Brian Clough became the 32nd different Boro player to score a treble in one game when he notched his 8th career Boro hat trick, our 18th away HT & 92nd in total

A number of players who played for both team

John Mahoney –John Neal 1st signing & our record signing at one time, joined the Boro in July 1977 for £90,000. "I didn't want to leave but when I looked at the fixture list, Stoke were away at Mansfield & Boro at home to Liverpool, I knew I had to go." He spent two seasons at Ayresome Park making 90 appearances
Robert Huth – Huth signed for Stoke for £5 million on a 4-year contract on 27 August 2009.
Tuncay Şanlı - Tuncay signed for Stoke for £5 million on a 4-year contract on 28 August 2009.
Mark Crossley - 2003 Boro loaned Crossley to Stoke where he played in 11 matches helping the club avoid relegation from the First Division.
Chris Kamara - February 1993 LL signed CM on a one-month loan, his spell at the Boro lasted just five games, the Boro couldn't afford to offer him a permanent contract.
Andrew Davies– Played twice for Stoke following a £1.3million transfer from Southampton.
Ritchie De Laet - On 17 August 2007, he signed a 3 year contract with Championship club Stoke City for an initial £100,000 fee, didn't play a single game for Stoke, played 10 games on loan for the Boro.
Graham Kavanagh - Has the honour of scoring Stoke's first goal at the Britannia Stadium in a League Cup match against Rochdale. He left Stoke in the summer of 2001 after making 244 appearances, scoring 45 goals.
Mick Kennedy - Made 39 appearances for Stoke in 1990–91 scoring three goals in a poor season which saw Stoke finish in their lowest ever league position of 14th in the third tier.
John Eustace - 2003 loaned from Coventry he only made one substitute appearance for the Boro, away to Liverpool, where he appeared for only the final two minutes of the game, signed for Stoke the following season.
Shay Given - Kept ten clean sheets in 16 league games while at the Boro.
Nicky Mohan – 99 games for the Boro, 92 games for Stoke.
Dean Whitehead – 132 games for Stoke, 55 games for the Boro
Brian Horne - 1992 he played in goal 4 times for the Boro & one game or Stoke
Dave Kitson – Stoke 34 games 3 goals, Boro 6 games 3 goals.
Frazer Richardson – Stoke 13 games, 1 goal, Boro11 games 0 goals.

Managed Stoke & connections with the Boro:

Chris Kamara Played for the Boro
Brian Little brought as 1st team coach by Bruce Rioch, before becoming Darlington's manager in 89
Cameron Jerome who between 2011 & 2014 played 50 games for Stoke, was released from the Boro in 2003, was a 92nd-minute substitute, along with David Murphy & Stuart Parnaby 2 ex Boro players, as Birmingham won the 2011 League Cup, defeating Arsenal 2–1 at Wembley

In With the Lurpak

Another top draw opening post Erimus  :bigjack

Beach towels at the ready for Boro as for Stoke they will have some fight for survival in them I haven't seen them play this season no doubt they will look like Brazil on the day  . Stoke victory incoming. :redcard:

tunstall

They've just got rid of their manager haven't they?

They're fighting for their championship lives

Boro too busy thinking about where they're going on their summer holidays

Home win written all over it

teamboro

Another top post Erimus we need to start winning can't keep using the injury list as an excuse

Stoke 2-0 Mighty Reds
TEESSIDER and Proud  of the area unlike some and I'm not a Racist

LIDDLE_TOWERS999

STOKE 3 BORO 0  IF GLOVERS IN GOAL

STOKE 1 BORO 0 IF DIENGS IN GOAL

STILL THINK A BOTTOM 8 FINISH IS LOOMING 🙄🙄🙄
GET WELL SOON STEVE G

Johnny Thunder

erimus74

Quote from: teamboro on March 01, 2024, 07:14:33 AMAnother top post Erimus we need to start winning can't keep using the injury list as an excuse

Stoke 2-0 Mighty Reds

Cheers teamboro, hopefully the team v Leicester turn up

TerryCochranesSocks

Just bloody brilliant Erimus, as ever

:bigjack

Smoggers51

Another great write up Erimus 👍Didn't know that fact about Chris Kamara .This to me is a must win game because the next few games could be a bit tricky. The Grandads will be there LOUD and PROUD as normal. Going for a 1-2 to us. UTMB !!!

erimus74

Quote from: Smoggers51 on March 01, 2024, 10:08:59 AMAnother great write up Erimus 👍Didn't know that fact about Chris Kamara .This to me is a must win game because the next few games could be a bit tricky. The Grandads will be there LOUD and PROUD as normal. Going for a 1-2 to us. UTMB !!!

Cheers Smoggers51

Totally agrew, avoid defeat

AtomicDog

0-7,

Could be tight

🐾
Why must I feel like that . . . Why must I chase the 🐈

Blott

I found the Stoke City v Swansea City enlightening. Wink.

Great stuff again.

We babysat for John Mahoney and that's the best I cam say about him

erimus74

Quote from: Blott on March 01, 2024, 06:15:28 PMI found the Stoke City v Swansea City enlightening. Wink.

Great stuff again.

We babysat for John Mahoney and that's the best I cam say about him

Cheers Blotty, thats great regarding John Mahoney

erimus74

Although saturdays is an away fixture our final home game at Linthorpe road before moving to Ayresome Park was a 1-1 draw with Stoke City, I have a gazette match report, 👌

LIDDLE_TOWERS999

FB-IMG-1709368313363" border="0

💪💪💪💪💪💪💪💪💪💪💪💪
GET WELL SOON STEVE G

erimus74

Redsteel (Moderator)

Going on last weeks shit show you automatically think a home win for Stoke. If we go the formation we played at Leicester and the team want to make amends, then 0-3 to us. If the players are already on the beach, it could be a long afternoon.

0-3

Smoggers51

The Grandads are on their way to Stoke !!We are turning up, let's hope the BORO do.Either way we'll still shout and sing because it's our team !!
UTMB!!!

erimus74

Quote from: Smoggers51 on March 02, 2024, 10:19:01 AMThe Grandads are on their way to Stoke !!We are turning up, let's hope the BORO do.Either way we'll still shout and sing because it's our team !!
UTMB!!!

Safe journey Smoggers51, great support

LIDDLE_TOWERS999

SOME SENSE AT LAST 💪💪💪

FB-IMG-1709388067909" border="0
GET WELL SOON STEVE G

Redsteel (Moderator)

I'd have dijksteel in for Ayling

erimus74

VDB captain, great for the lad, he must be bouncing at 19 hes chosen the Boro & now rewarded after his fantastic performances this season with the arms band

Congratulations VDB 👌

Westlane_rightwinger

LIDDLE_TOWERS999

GREAT SAVE FROM DIENG...GLOVER WOULD HAVE LET THAT IN 💪💪💪
GET WELL SOON STEVE G

teamboro

TEESSIDER and Proud  of the area unlike some and I'm not a Racist