Middlesbrough v Plymouth match thread

Started by erimus74, February 21, 2024, 10:59:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

erimus74

First off, before we get to discuss Saturdays fixture, we heard the sad news this week thats more important than football, one of our very own, one of the biggest, iconic legends to wear the famous red shirt, best wishes to our former Boro captain, manager & forever legend, Tony Mowbray x

Can Boro build on their fantastic 2-1 away win last Saturday at runaway leaders & champions in waiting Leicester City with a thoroughly deserved victory.
Boro's last back-to-back away/home win was middle of December & with not winning a home league game this calendar year what better time then to put those two stats to bed
On the Leicester game, O'Brien was back to his pre injury best, great run & pass for the opening goal, McNair, another player that's been out for a long spell who just slotted back in as if he'd been there all the time
VDB just oozes class, he seems to get better with each game, Clarke, another player who was out for a long time & has come back to play consistently well & at a good level.
Silvera had his best game in a Boro shirt, lovely pass to O'Brien for the first goal & class finish for the second. McGree who won the ball & fed Silvera is such an important player for us, I really hope is still here next season.
Azaz two goals now in 2 games, both good finishes, hopefully he can build on his performances against his former loanee club Plymouth, you never know he could help us forget about Rogers, he's already scored the same league goals as Rogers so far, needs another 6 to overtake his tally of 7, his tally could have easily been double that figure which gives us confidence that he'll be among the goals for the remainder of this season & next

With Latte Lath & Jones close to a recall thing are slightly starting to look up
Though with Fry, Bangura, Howson & Hackney mow on the injury list, with the latter 3 out for what seems to be a long spell, the club's continuous bad luck with injuries has haunted us even before a ball was kicked this season, you would think & hope, that after what seems like 10 seasons of injuries in 9 months that going forward, we can think maybe next season the injury gods will be more kind to us
I've said this before & will say again we need to tie down Carrick to a long term contract, not that I have doubts about him not been here next season just for potential signings showing that he's committed to the club

In fact I don't think we had a weak player throughout, everyone gave their all & when you think, during our poor run of form under Wilder you could see the players didn't want to play for him, yet during our poor run the present squad are 100% behind Carrick, the evidence was clear to see against Leicester, which is good to see

18/12/1954 Boro 4 Plymouth 1 with a Joe Scott hat trick - First meeting on Teesside between both teams with the following record
Won - 9
Drew - 3
Lost - 5
Goals scored - 36
Goals against - 16

Home 4 goals / hat tricks v Plymouth

18/12/1954 - Joseph Scott scored his one & only first team hat trick against Plymouth, the 64th at Ayresome Park & 68th on Teesside, 81st in total – Won 4-1

5/9/1959 - Brian Clough became the 11th different Boro player to score 4 goals in one game, at this point it had been done 25 times – Won 6-2

14/10/1967 - John Hickton scored his 3rd Boro hat trick, the Boro's 77th at Ayresome Park, 81st on Teesside & 108th in total – Won 4-2

Home penalties v Plymouth
10/3/1956 – Lindy Delapenha became the clubs 35th different penalty goalscorer when he scored our 108th home penalty - Lost 2-1
23/2/1961 – Donald Walker became the clubs 37th different penalty goalscorer when he scored the clubs 131st home penalty – Won 3-1

Home debut / final Boro appearance v Plymouth

25/2/1961 - William Hamilton made his debut after moving from Sheffield United this month – Won 3-1

24/8/1963 - Robert Braithwaite made his debut after moving from Linfield in June & Eddie Connachan made his debut after moving from Dunfermline Athletic earlier in the month – Won 5-0

13/2/1965 - William Harris made his last appearance before moving to Bradford City, as Manager, in March – lost 3-1

14/10/1989 - Gary Gill made his final appearance before moving to Darlington in December – Lost 2-0

31/10/2009 – Gordon Strachans debut in the Boro dugout – Lost 1-0

Represented Boro & Plymouth

David Jack - played 45 games, scoring 10 goals for Plymouth in season 1919/20 - Boro manager between 1944/1952

Lennie Lawrence - Caretaker at Plymouth in 1978 Boro manager between 1991-1994

Alan Miller - 1988/94 9 games - Boro 1994/97 57 games

Dwight Marshall - April 1993 Our 18th loaned player, Plymouth sent him north for a look to buy player, fast player but nothing came of it & he returned to Plymouth - two sub appearances, no goals

Anthony Barness - 21st loaned player - Loaned from Chelsea - One appearance in the Anglo Italian cup v Grimsby Town away 1993 - 37 games for Plymouth 2005/07

Tony Pulis - managed Plymouth 2005/6 - Managed Boro 2017/19

Yanik Bolasie - 2008/11 51 games, 8 goals - Boro 2021 15 games, 3 goals

Jack Stephens - 2010/11 5 games, zero goals - Boro 2015/16 one game

Ben Gibson - 2011 13 games, zero goals - Boro 2010/18 185 games, 4 goals

Finn Azaz - onloan at Plymouth from his parent club Aston Villa who we bought him from, 2 goals so far

George Dews

Bobby Stuart

Ronald Waldock

Nice story
My brother-in-law, who was born in Thornaby, now lives in Canada, his dad once played centre forward for Plymouth in the early 50's, made his debut against Leeds United with John Charles marking him
The story goes when my son in laws dad scored his 1st of two goal John Charles picked him & said, good goal son but you won't get another touch, he went on to score a 2nd goal, Leeds won 4-2 

Long after he retired & living back in Thornaby he went to Devon for a holiday & decided to visit his former clubs ground, Home Park while he was down that part of the world & so jumped on the bus to go to the Plymouths town centre to then get another bus to the ground, on paying he told the bus driver he's going to Home Park to visit his old playing ground, the driver recognised him, told him he enjoyed watching him play for Plymouth & took him straight to the ground himself.

In With the Lurpak

Nice little story about  Plymouth Erimus  :cheers:

Season's more or less over for both these teams now. Ill go for the score draw or a narrow Boro win on a footie bet if I have one in this game.

Is this the game I was on bout last week where somethings planned . they all walking out

]
Quote from: In With the Lurpak on February 16, 2024, 06:08:49 PMLad at work was on bout the Boro today , saying something bout the 12th man and red faction are planning something . no idea what or where, might be against Leicester might be next home game . 
[/url]

LIDDLE_TOWERS999

BORO 1 PILGRIMS 1

AZAZ TO SCORE AGAINST HIS LOAN CLUB ....
GET WELL SOON STEVE G

teamboro

Another fantastic write up Erimus if we stick to the same team as last week I can see us winning this 2-0 mighty Reds
TEESSIDER and Proud  of the area unlike some and I'm not a Racist

AtomicDog

Why must I feel like that . . . Why must I chase the 🐈

Johnny Thunder

Brilliant post Erimus. I'm sure we are all praying for Mogga.
Great anecdote about you BIL's father too.

4-0

:carrick4:

erimus74

Quote from: In With the Lurpak on February 22, 2024, 05:43:04 AMNice little story about  Plymouth Erimus  :cheers:

Season's more or less over for both these teams now. Ill go for the score draw or a narrow Boro win on a footie bet if I have one in this game.

Is this the game I was on bout last week where somethings planned . they all walking out

]
Quote from: In With the Lurpak on February 16, 2024, 06:08:49 PMLad at work was on bout the Boro today , saying something bout the 12th man and red faction are planning something . no idea what or where, might be against Leicester might be next home game . 
[/url]

Think RF have postpobed the walkout after meeting up with Gibbo

erimus74

Quote from: teamboro on February 22, 2024, 07:19:10 AMAnother fantastic write up Erimus if we stick to the same team as last week I can see us winning this 2-0 mighty Reds

Cheers teamboro, lets hope for our first home league win of 2024

erimus74

Quote from: Johnny Thunder on February 22, 2024, 09:47:50 AMBrilliant post Erimus. I'm sure we are all praying for Mogga.
Great anecdote about you BIL's father too.

4-0

:carrick4:

Cheers Johnny, yea loved the story when my BIL told me it last year

erimus74

Quote from: AtomicDog on February 22, 2024, 07:30:29 AMMight "squeeze" a

9-0

Double Azaz hat trick, a header, right foot & left foot goals, perfect treble 😁

RiversideRifle

Erimus quality again mate!!!! I'm gonna go for a tight one but a clean sheet

Boro 1-0 Green army Azaz
UTB

erimus74

Quote from: RiversideRifle on February 22, 2024, 10:28:01 AMErimus quality again mate!!!! I'm gonna go for a tight one but a clean sheet

Boro 1-0 Green army Azaz

Cheers Rifle, glad Azaz has got his goal out of the way, hopefully hes a bit more relaxed

TheWalker

Plymouth are fairly useless away so a guaranteed 0-0 draw

Blott

Great stuff Erimus, I think we will tonk them. Saying that I always think we will tonk them.

erimus74

Quote from: Blott on February 22, 2024, 11:42:05 AMGreat stuff Erimus, I think we will tonk them. Saying that I always think we will tonk them.

Cheers Blotty, I think we know they'll score, so we need to bag 2

erimus74

Gonna be a cold one today, get wrapped up

Few hours in bed, up about one, quick bite to eat then out the door

Glover
Ayling
VDB
Clarke
Engel
Barlasar
O'Brien
Forss
Azaz
McGree
Silvera

My predicted line up, rest Paddy after been out so long & a good, solud performance last week

Azaz to continue his goalscoring with a brace against his former loanees

Might even see a second half dedutant

LIDDLE_TOWERS999

FB-IMG-1708765925913" border="0

💪💪💪💪💪💪💪💪💪💪
GET WELL SOON STEVE G

Gingerpig

A comfy 2-0 would not go amiss  today , silence still on certin injuries however is not helping the plans

LIDDLE_TOWERS999

THERE BRINGING A THOUSAND FANS 👍👍👍

GOOD TURNOUT THAT FOR A 862 MILE ROUND TRIP 👍👍👍
GET WELL SOON STEVE G

Smoggers51

Great write up as always Erimus 👍Love the anecdote about your Brother in Law.
Going for a 3-1 win today .I'm still on a high from Leicester 😂.The grandads are off to Stoke next week ,looking forward to that.
UTMB!!!

Redsteel (Moderator)

erimus74

Quote from: Smoggers51 on February 24, 2024, 11:12:02 AMGreat write up as always Erimus 👍Love the anecdote about your Brother in Law.
Going for a 3-1 win today .I'm still on a high from Leicester 😂.The grandads are off to Stoke next week ,looking forward to that.
UTMB!!!

😁🍻👍

Ural Quntz (Moderator)

Quote from: LIDDLE_TOWERS999 on February 24, 2024, 11:11:15 AMTHERE BRINGING A THOUSAND FANS 👍👍👍

GOOD TURNOUT THAT FOR A 862 MILE ROUND TRIP 👍👍👍

FFS Lids - They're

LIDDLE_TOWERS999

THEY HAVE ONLY WON ONCE AWAY IN 17 AWAY GAMES THIS SEASON IN ALL COMPS 🙄

KEPT 4 CLEAN SHEETS OUT OF THE LAST  5 GAMES AGANST BORO AWAY  :rav:
GET WELL SOON STEVE G

Westlane_rightwinger

Top thread. Thank you Erimus.

3 - 0