GET WELL SOON STEVE G

Ollyboro

Poor disc jockey; dreadful taxi driver.

tunstall

RIP

He was a legend

Not for everyone but he absolutely defined BBC radio for decades

markmywords

Big shock. Played the songs of my youth and was still a good listen right up to when he was dumped off his afternoon show by the he BBC.

Bud Wiser

He had a fantastically unique show on Radio 1 in the early 80s. Sadly, to prove he wasn't too white, male & stale for Radio 2 he imported his love of present day chart 'music' with him, effectively turning Radio 2 into Radio 1.5 thus making saturday afternoons Pick of The Pops show the only programme left on there that I would listen to (1971 to 1982 years only) until HE took over from the excellent Paul Gambaccini and ruined the format by talking & singing over the songs. 

Genuinely sad to learn of his death but certainly won't miss hearing his self-promoting on the radio anymore.
SAMMY AMEOBI - CAN I HAVE YOUR SHIRT PLEASE

erimus74

Just arrived home from work & heard the awful news on his passing

Loved listening to his radio 2 show

He's been good for music from TOTP right through to his this afternoon slot

Sad news indeed

RIP Steve x

Blott

He just was not my cup of tea. Anyone who needed a possee was missing something.

RIP, no doubt a decent bloke.

TerryCochranesSocks

He was brilliant back on Radio 1 in the 80's.
He changed the format completely and introduced an American style "team" content which was a huge departure from the 'one man talking into a mic' that was so prevalent.
He was getting 20+ million listeners a week making Radio 1 the most popular Radio station in the world.

He was treated appallingly by the BBC at the end and their tributes yesterday and today have been cringeworthy.

R.I.P. Wrighty

AtomicDog

First off RIP to the bloke, sad to see the passing of anybody.

He was the personified c***y DJ. Shite music, patter, he had the lot.

Nichols style sycophantic interviews, lived on another dimension to the the man in the street.

Think the best tribute to him was this . . .

"Burn down the disco
Hang the blessed DJ
Because the music that they constantly play
It says nothing to me about my life
Hang the blessed DJ
Because the music they constantly play" . . .

Like I said it's sad of his passing, like any bodies. But to say he was a 'good' DJ is laughable in itself.

🐾
Why must I feel like that . . . Why must I chase the 🐈

Ollyboro

Quote from: AtomicDog on February 14, 2024, 10:31:54 AMFirst off RIP to the bloke, sad to see the passing of anybody.

Nichols style sycophantic interviews, lived on another dimension to the the man in the street.

"Burn down the disco
Hang the blessed DJ
Hang the blessed DJ

Like I said it's sad of his passing, like any bodies. But to say he was a 'good' DJ is laughable in itself.

🐾

I take it you're referring to The Smiths writing Panic in response to Steve Wright playing Wham's I'm Your Man, moments after the Chernobyl disaster was announced?

There is a theory that the song references Jimmy Savile.

"On the Leeds side streets that you slip down Provincial towns you jog 'round Hang the DJ, hang the DJ, hang the DJ"

AtomicDog

It was about Wright, the state of British music in general not saville. Nothing was known about him then that's absolute horseshit.

Obviously Google has been your friend by that comment. Read an interview with Marr many years ago where he referred to that, him in general about how 'out of touch' he was with the culture and music in particular of British kid's.

Think they (the smiths) even had t-shirts with 'Hang the DJ" on (with Wright's face on)

Ollyboro

Quote from: AtomicDog on February 14, 2024, 12:17:10 PMIt was about Wright, the state of British music in general not saville. Nothing was known about him then that's absolute horseshit.

Obviously Google has been your friend by that comment. Read an interview with Marr many years ago where he referred to that, him in general about how 'out of touch' he was with the culture and music in particular of British kid's.

Think they (the smiths) even had t-shirts with 'Hang the DJ" on (with Wright's face on)

I never suggested the whole song was about Savile, but the reference to Leeds and jogging seems close to the bone.

You're wrong about nothing being known about Savile in 1986. John Lydon made explicit reference to Savile's "seediness" being well known as early as 1978. Even the Nolans knew.

Westlane_rightwinger

If the Nolan's knew then "I'm in the mood for dancing, romancing"

Happy Valentine's Day everyone.

AtomicDog

Quote from: Ollyboro on February 14, 2024, 12:38:15 PM
Quote from: AtomicDog on February 14, 2024, 12:17:10 PMIt was about Wright, the state of British music in general not saville. Nothing was known about him then that's absolute horseshit.

I never suggested the whole song was about Savile, but the reference to Leeds and jogging seems close to the bone.

You're wrong about nothing being known about Savile in 1986. John Lydon made explicit reference to Savile's "seediness" being well known as early as 1978. Even the Nolans knew.

. . . ?

"Panic" had no reference or meaning about saville, I didn't. He just name's place's in the UK and used them as reference, that's all. We're on about Wright not Saville anyway.

You're not one of these 'Obsessive' Smith's fan's like Danny Kelly are you?

What you gonna tell me next Strummer wrote 'This is England' about the NF?

Don't look too deep Lad, you're looking for something that's not there. Like I said I read (in a magazine) what Marr said. People think Google is the be all and end all of references, and it isn't.
You only have to look for certain song lyrics (try that) to find it's someone's interpretation of the song, not the written, copyrighted lyrics.
I'm not trying to create an argument, just putting a point across, that's all.

Did I tell you Richy Edwards works in the co op in Ealing Broadway . . . I'm sure I seen it on the internet?

Anyhow RIP Steve 'Carboot sale' Wright godspeed, even though he was a sh*t Deejay

🐾

Nosmo-King

I liked the gadge! Will have a special place in the history of radio DJ's. Very sorry to hear this news RIP Steve

LIDDLE_TOWERS999

Quote from: Westlane_rightwinger on February 14, 2024, 01:02:14 PMIf the Nolan's knew then "I'm in the mood for dancing, romancing"

Happy Valentine's Day everyone.

DO YOU WANNA BUY SOME LURPAK FOR YOUR LASS 😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍

FB-IMG-1707900715693" border="0
GET WELL SOON STEVE G

BoroRedKen

RIP.

Was it not David Icke that started the rumour about Panic and Saville "connection"?

Seen a few interviews were Marr says it bollocks.

AtomicDog

Probably, here's Morrissey . . .

With Jimmy Saville on his t-shirt

TerryCochranesSocks

Quote from: AtomicDog on February 14, 2024, 10:31:54 AMFirst off RIP to the bloke, sad to see the passing of anybody.

"Burn down the disco
Hang the blessed DJ
Hang the blessed DJ

🐾

He was a good DJ

AtomicDog

Blott

the Smiths; the most averrated, dull as dishwater, second rate poets, pub act.

Just my opinion.

LIDDLE_TOWERS999

Quote from: Blott on February 14, 2024, 04:20:18 PMthe Smiths; the most averrated, dull as dishwater, second rate poets, pub act.

Just my opinion.

I'VE ACTUALLY GOT IN TO THE SMITHS IN THE LAST FEW YEARS....I NEVER REALLY RATED MORRISEY BUT I DO NOW...LYRICAL GENIUS 👍😉👍
GET WELL SOON STEVE G

TMG501

Quote from: Blott on February 14, 2024, 04:20:18 PMdull as dishwater, second rate poets

I didn't know that Hazza Vagina was in The Smiths! :leo:
It's What's In The Groove That Counts

AtomicDog

Quote from: LIDDLE_TOWERS999 on February 14, 2024, 04:41:00 PM
Quote from: Blott on February 14, 2024, 04:20:18 PMthe Smiths; the most averrated, dull as dishwater, second rate poets, pub act.

Just my opinion.

I'VE ACTUALLY GOT IN TO THE SMITHS IN THE LAST FEW YEARS....I NEVER REALLY RATED MORRISEY BUT I DO NOW...LYRICAL GENIUS 👍😉👍

First off I don't walk round with a hearing aid in, foplish haircut, gladioli in My Levi's back pocket, dog's don't wear clothes.

For the first point the band had good musician's (Marr, Rourke & Joyce complimented each other perfectly) , a lyricist the words are, when you get them a sort of British, say 'carry on film' look at life.

I was never a 'fan' at the time but when I first heard the song that drove this conversation, thought it was immense. Like I've always said there's only good and bad music any 'music fan's will say the beauty of a great record, when you first hear it, when it hits you, that's something else.
You cannot deny that The Smiths have some great songs. Look a videos when he (Morrissey) plays live grown (heterosexual) men jumping on the stage trying to touch him, kiss him it's funny as f**k to watch, but he probably played a massive part in a time of their lives, that's the beauty of music, My point I'm trying to make, not an argument.

As for the second point you've gotta have lyrics, meaningful lyrics to song's, that's what 'catches' people. AC/DC are a fine example fantastic band, but the majority of their (my option) lyrics are shite, New Order could be another example of that.

Mike Joyce stated that the first time he heard the lyrics to 'Meat is Murder' he turned vegetarian stating the reason was the 'Power' of the words.

The only way to find out about music is to listen to it yourself, if you don't like it, turn it off it's that easy.

I not trying to blow smoke up Morrissey's arse, but you can't deny he has wrote some great songs, might be a c**t in person I dunno, I'm just a dog

'Where's Me Dinner?"

🐾

LIDDLE_TOWERS999

Quote from: AtomicDog on February 14, 2024, 06:35:50 PM
Quote from: LIDDLE_TOWERS999 on February 14, 2024, 04:41:00 PM

Just my opinion.

First off I don't walk round with a hearing aid in, foplish haircut, gladioli in My Levi's back pocket, dog's don't wear clothes.

For the first point the band had good musician's (Marr, Rourke & Joyce complimented each other perfectly) , a lyricist the words are, when you get them a sort of British, say 'carry on film' look at life.

I was never a 'fan' at the time but when I first heard the song that drove this conversation, thought it was immense. Like I've always said there's only good and bad music any 'music fan's will say the beauty of a great record, when you first hear it, when it hits you, that's something else.
You cannot deny that The Smiths have some great songs. Look a videos when he (Morrissey) plays live grown (heterosexual) men jumping on the stage trying to touch him, kiss him it's funny as f**k to watch, but he probably played a massive part in a time of their lives, that's the beauty of music, My point I'm trying to make, not an argument.

As for the second point you've gotta have lyrics, meaningful lyrics to song's, that's what 'catches' people. AC/DC are a fine example fantastic band, but the majority of their (my option) lyrics are shite, New Order could be another example of that.

Mike Joyce stated that the first time he heard the lyrics to 'Meat is Murder' he turned vegetarian stating the reason was the 'Power' of the words.

The only way to find out about music is to listen to it yourself, if you don't like it, turn it off it's that easy.

I not trying to blow smoke up Morrissey's arse, but you can't deny he has wrote some great songs, might be a c**t in person I dunno, I'm just a dog

'Where's Me Dinner?"

🐾

WISE WORDS YA MONGREL 😁😁😁🙏
GET WELL SOON STEVE G