Boro v Chelsea Semi final 1st leg league cup match thread

Started by erimus74, January 08, 2024, 06:53:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

erimus74

Another big cup tie, against another big team who,let's be honest, have broken our hearts on more than one occasion, but we won the big one in the last 2-legged tie between both teams back in 1988

Following the fantastic performance that Michael Carrick, IMHO, got spot on v Aston Villa, we have to go again with the same determination, the same focus, the very same attitude & hopefully, just hopefully, we carry a bit of luck, that we'll need if we want to take something in to the 2nd leg at Stamford Bridge, a ground we haven't won at since the 25th March 1975

So the big thing is to try & stay in the game tomorrow night, big deal I know but so was the Villa game & they needed a massive slice of luck to break us down

Formation, selection, Michael Carrick will keep that close to his chest until the last minute when he hands in the teamsheet to the officials

No Rogers, no Greenwood, no McGree, no Dieng, so who will be available is anyone's guess, who will play in Rogers role, our league cup top scorer this season, who for the past 3 games has really shown us fans what he's got in his locker, another player who will be badly missed

Michael Carrick has done amazingly well in his short time at the Boro with 2 semifinals within 12 months, thought we lost the Coventry game in the first leg, lets go one better tomorrow, pleaseeeeeeeeeeeee

1st January 1908 - Boro 3 Chelsea 1 the fixture on Teesside

23/8/2006 – Boro 2 Chelsea 1 – This game was 20 years to the day since we played Port Vale at Hartlepool the awful summer we came through liquidation

The next fixture on Teesside will be the 58th meeting between both teams with the following record:

Won - 25
Drew - 16
Lost - 16
Goals scored - 88
Goals against - 67

Home debut \ last appearance v Chelsea

1/1/1909 - Robert Young made his debut after moving from W H Uin October 1908. Player manager Andy Aitken made his final appearance before moving to Leicester Fosse in February - lost 4-1
9/10/1909 - Frederick Wilcox made his final appearance - lost 1-0
19/4/1913 - Donald McLeod made his final appearance -lost 3-0
22/11/1919 - John Marshall made his debut after moving from St Mirren this month - drew 0-0
23/4/1921 - Thomas Brown made his debut after joining this month. Ernest Young made his one and only appearance after joining this season. Moved to Darlington in the summer. Walter Tinsley made his last appearance before moving to Nottingham Forest in May - drew 0-0
6/3/1954 – Bill Harris made his debut after moving from Hull City this month. William Watkin made his debut after moving from Gateshead this month – drew 3-3
4/4/1978 - Peter Johnson made his debut after joining as an apprentice. David Shearer made his debut after moving from Inverness Clachnacuddin in January, scoring a brace - won 2-0

Home penalties v Chelsea

27/12/1921 Andy Nesbit Wilson was our 16th different penalty goalscorer when he scored our 28th penalty – drew 1-1
16/9/1922 George Elliott was our 13th different penalty goalscorer when he scored our 31st penalty –  won 2-1
19/1/1929 Billy Pease was our 21st different penalty goalscorer when he scored our 52nd penalty – lost 5-4
24/2/1934 John Jennings was our 24th different penalty goalscorer when he scored our 68th penalty – drew 2-2
9/31963 Arthur Kaye was our 38th different penalty goalscorer when he scored our 139h penalty – won 1-0
23/9/2001 Alen Boksic was our 74th different penalty goalscorer when he scored our 226th penalty – drew 2-2

Represented for both clubs:

Darren Wood – Sold to Chelsea in n1984 for £72k
Tony McAndrew – Part of the transfer that seen Darren Wood go to Chelsea, cash plus player
Andy Nesbit Wilson
John Neal managed both teams
Ross Turnbull
Loans
Anthony Barness 1993/94 – Played the one game v Grimsby Town away in an Anglo Scottish cup tie Bolo Zenden - 36th loaned player - Loaned from Chelsea & after one season, 39 games, scoring 7 goals he was signed permanently - 14th at the Riverside - 2003/04Josh McEachran 55th loaned player - Loaned from Chelsea - 33rd at the Riverside - 2012/13
Nathaniel Chalobah - 61st loaned player - Loaned from Chelsea - 39th at the Riverside – 2013/14
Keith Omeruo - Signed for us on loan from Chelsea two seasons running - 62nd loaned player - 40th at the Riverside 2013/14 & 65th loaned player 44th at the Riverside - 2014/15
Thomas Kalas - 71st loaned player - Loaned from Chelsea over 2 seasons - 50th at the Riverside - 2014/15
Patrick Bamford - 66th loaned player - Loaned from Chelsea - 45th at the Riverside - 2014/15
Jamal Blackman – Our 46th different 1st team GK - 39th league cup debutant - 69th loaned player - Loaned from Chelsea - Scored in a penalty shoot-out league cup - 48th at the Riverside - 7th GK - 2014/15
Lewis Baker - 83rd loaned player - Loaned from Chelsea - 51st at the Riverside - 2017/18
Marcus Bettinelli Our 78th keeper - 97th loaned player - Loaned from Fulham - 64th at the Riverside - 8th GK - 2020/21

Andy Nesbit Wilson played for the Boro before & the 1st world war, scoring 57 goals in 90 appearances, 24th November 1924 he played his final Boro game, which was away to Chelsea, Boro lost 2-0
At the end of the season both Boro & Chelsea were relegated from the first division (our 1st ever relegation) & Andy was still top scorer of both clubs

Match reports v Chelsea, including match tickets v Chelsea & league cup tickets from various teams we've played in the league cup over the years

C'mon Boro!

In With the Lurpak

Off the pitch Boro all the way Oats wudda done Mariner  :klippety:

On the pitch  :rav:  :redcard:   :diego:

erimus74

Yea, I think tomorrow's game will be a lot harder than the Villa game

Smoggers51

Great write up as always Erimus 👍Just keep our shape and concentration and maybe we might get a draw 👍

erimus74

Quote from: Smoggers51 on January 08, 2024, 08:15:16 PMGreat write up as always Erimus 👍Just keep our shape and concentration and maybe we might get a draw 👍

Cheers Smoggers51, meant to put in the match report from the first leg but unable to find it 😢

John Trebor

Great stuff Erimus.
Another player to represent both clubs- Geremi.
I think we tried to sign him after his loan spell but he opted for Chelsea.

David Shearer, a Roy of the Rovers story.
One day playing for Calachanacullodenburn in the middle of the North Atlantic. The next scoring two goals in England's top division.

A real life Hotshot Hamish.

http://www.internationalhero.co.uk/h/hotshothamish.htm

RiversideRifle

UTB

erimus74

Quote from: John Trebor on January 08, 2024, 09:02:00 PMGreat stuff Erimus.
Another player to represent both clubs- Geremi.
I think we tried to sign him after his loan spell but he opted for Chelsea.

David Shearer, a Roy of the Rovers story.
One day playing for Calachanacullodenburn in the middle of the North Atlantic. The next scoring two goals in England's top division.

A real life Hotshot Hamish.

http://www.internationalhero.co.uk/h/hotshothamish.htm

Cheers John Trebor

Great shout with Geremi, very good loan signing too

Sure when we loaned him from Chelsea he scored the only goal of the game at the Riverside

tunstall

Gonna be fucking freezing at the ground tonight...few pints in The Pig and a Balti pie at the ground might help

UTB

Northallerton_Boro

I hate Chelsea

They will dominate possession, lets just hope they continue to be wasteful in front of goal. Sterling and Palmer will be the obvious threats, keep them two quiet and we have a shot.

Hope the atmosphere is electric. They don't have many leaders in that team, lets get at them and try and nick a 1-0

I hate Chelsea

Johnny Thunder

tunstall

Has it been announced as a sell out yet?

just looked online and it appears theres no tickets left....

erimus74

Quote from: tunstall on January 09, 2024, 10:54:25 AMHas it been announced as a sell out yet?

Brilliant, the fans have bought in to this, hopefully we get the rub of the green, big slice of cup luck, a long overdue payback to Chelsea & another nostalgic night to remember down at the Riverside

erimus74

Quote from: tunstall on January 09, 2024, 10:54:25 AMHas it been announced as a sell out yet?

Officially sold out tuns

Smoggers51

A sell out tonight.Should be a great atmosphere. Can't wait !! Bring it on !!!UTMB!!!

tunstall

I'm in the Pig iron just now.

Windmilling about to commence.

erimus74

4 hours to go

There's only oneeeee Steve Gibson 🎶🎶🎶🎶🎶🎶🎶🎶🎶🎶🎶🎶🎶🎶🎶🎶

AtomicDog

Why must I feel like that . . . Why must I chase the 🐈

Nosmo-King

Some great memories evoked with your opening post Erimus. Brilliant stuff.

We owe this lot tonight a beating -
 On the pitch, of course!

Very ambitious prediction 2-1 to us. UTB

Blott

My days of doing what I want when I want are sadly over, for at least another 2 years anyway. So I will be watching on the bottom of a computer screen, at least 2 minutes after the end t.

2 - 0.

UTB

teamboro

0-2 to the rent boys I'm afraid hope I'm wrong and we put up a good display like Saturday
TEESSIDER and Proud  of the area unlike some and I'm not a Racist

erimus74

Quote from: Nosmo-King on January 09, 2024, 05:22:49 PMSome great memories evoked with your opening post Erimus. Brilliant stuff.

We owe this lot tonight a beating -
 On the pitch, of course!

Very ambitious prediction 2-1 to us. UTB

Cheers Nosmo-king 👍