Boro v Aston Villa match thread

Started by erimus74, January 05, 2024, 09:08:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

erimus74

As David v Goliath games go this is up there, along with the Chelsea cup tie, but back to Aston Villa who are having a great season, are in 2nd place in the PL, only 3 points behind Liverpool, with a GD of plus 16, one defeat since 5th November, which was their last away league game when they caved in v Man Utd, after leading 2-0 at half time, against us on the other hand, sitting in 12th place, with a minus one GD, have had a season of inconsistency, which is mainly due to the amount of injuries we've had this season, even with a full strength team we would struggle to contain Villa, with a made up / patched up team the odds are heavily stacked against us.

Anyones guess what team we'll play, though Greenwood is the one I'm not to fussed on sacrificing, if he gets injured no problem, if he comes through unscathed he cant play v Chelsea

Is tomorrow's game to be finished on the night?

14th Feb 1988 - 2nd divison - Boro 2 Aston Villa 1 became the first live televised match outside the top division

We've played Villa in the 1st division, 2nd division, FAC, League cup, Zenith data cup & playoff semi final

Boro in the FAC – Amateur status

10th November 1883 - Round one - Our 1st ever FAC time when a Derbyshire mining side named Staveley travelled up to Teesside to play the mighty Boro at our Linthorpe road ground, Archie Pringle is credited with scoring Boro's 1st ever FAC goal, Staveley won the game 5-1, not saying the away team were a bit physical, but at the end of the game a few Boro players needed hospital treatment

6th December 1884 - Round two - Our 1st FAC win, beating Newark at Linthorpe road 4-1 with a brace from Archie Pringle, Borrie & Hardwick

Professional club

28th October 1899 - Qualifying round one - Our 1st FAC tie as a league club seen Jarrow come to Linthorpe road, Boro losing 2-1 with Robert Eglington scoring our consolation goal & becoming the 1st Boro player to score on his 1st league home game, away game & FAC cup

12th November 1900 - Qualifying round one - Our 1st FAC win as a league club was at home to Wellington Athletic, after drawing 3-3 at home, we drew the replay 0-0, Boro won the toss for the 2nd replay & comfortably won the game 8-0, taking revenge on our previous opponents Jarrow who beat us 2-1, not this time as the Boro ran out 3-0 winners

We've recorded 15 FAC hat tricks below are some – None at the Riverside by a Boro player, tomorrow!

23rd February 1901 FAC3rd round - Alex Sandy Robertson scored our 1st FAC hat trick when he netted a treble at our Linthorpe ground v Kettering

12th February 1906 - FAC 2nd round replay – Alf Common scored our 2nd FAC hat trick in a 3-1 win over Brighton at Brammel lane

15th January 1913 - John Carr scored our 3rd FAC HT v Millwall in a 4-1 win in the 2nd round

9th January 1915 – 3 separate HT goalscorers in the same game, Georeg Ellioitt, John Carr & Water Tinsley as Boro beat Goole 9-3 in the 1st round
Goole were drawn at home when the draw was made but the mighty Boro asked for the tie to play at Ayresome Park

15th November 1986 – Bernie Slaven has scored our final FAC to date, our 90th on Teesside (in all competitions) & 86th at Ayresome Park when he scored all 3 in a 3rd round win over Preston

We've met Villa 3 times in the FAC with the mighty Boro winning one of the 3, the 1st one we both met in the competition
Our 1st FAC 3rd round meeting was at Villa Park
7th January 1950 the game ended 2-2, with a replay at Ayresome Park which seen both team's slugged out 0-0 draw
A second replay was needed which was played at Elland Road with the mighty Boro running out 3-0 winners

Home league hat tricks v Aston Villa

29th December 1913 - Walter Tinsley became the 11th different hat trick goalscorer when he scored his1st hat trick, our 9th at Ayresome Park, 13th on Teesside & 15th overall

11th December 1948 - Micky Fenton became the 23rd different hat trick goalscorer when he scored his 9th hat trick, our 58th at Ayresome Park, 62nd on Teesside & 76th overall

27th December 1976 - David Mills became the 42nd different hat trick goalscorer when he scored his 1st hat trick, our 83rd at Ayresome Park, 87th on Teesside & 115th overall

Blast from the past - 6th Feb 1990

In the zenith cup we travelled to Villa Park for a 1st leg Northern final, 1st division leaders Aston Vila who had thumped Bury 6-0 in the FAC only 3 days before, with the new England golden boy David Platt bagging a brace & on fire of late against struggling second division, patched up Middlesbrough
In the pouring rain the Boro fell behind & what looked like a long, long night, but Bruce Riochs Boro fought back from that setback & took the game to Villa, not only equalizing with a Bernie Slaven strike but scoring a last-minute winner when Mark Brennan smashed a free kick in to the back of the net in front of the Holte end, Boro had won the 1st leg against all the odds 2-1

But it's the FAC, though at home to Brighton didn't go to well with it's the FAC 

This will be the 71st meeting between both teams on Teesside, with the following reading not very good
Home fixtures
Won - 24
Drew -18
Lost - 28
Goals scored - 96
Goals against - 104

Represented Boro & Villa

Bruce Rioch, brought to the club by the late, great Willie Maddren, took temporary charge on the 4th March 1986 in a 3-1 home win v Grimsby
Colin Todd
Paul Kerr, 1st cash signing after liquidation, ironically scoring his 1st Boro goal & the winner at the Holte end September 1987
Dean Glover
Mark Burke
Adama Toure
Kevin Poole
Lee Turnbull
Pat Heard
Luke Young
Rudy Gestede
Brad Guzan
Finn Azaz – Though he never played a 1st team game for Villa

In With the Lurpak

Great thread Erimus  :bigjack  :klippety:

All I have to say about this game is Villa will go through the Boro like a shredder on an old tree especially if they try and play it out from the keeper . A game to start hoofing it up the park they not for the quality to play it through Villa it will end in disaster after 3 or 4 passes.

erimus74

Cheers Lurpak 👍

I would say Villa are slightly better than Brighton were when we played them last season in the FAC 3rd round & they certainly put us to the sword

RiversideRifle

Great post Ezza lad!

Boro 0-5 villains
UTB

Smoggers51

Great write up as always Erimus 👍
Unfortunately I think that Villa will be too sharp for us. We saw what Brighton did to us. Going for 3-1 to Villa.

erimus74

Quote from: RiversideRifle on January 05, 2024, 09:36:21 AMGreat post Ezza lad!

Boro 0-5 villains

Cheers rifle

TBH, if they turn up you couldnt argue against a beating like that, their manager has done such a superb job, in fact, every game Villa play & compete at the right end of the league makes Gerrard look as bad a manager as he actually is

erimus74

Quote from: Smoggers51 on January 05, 2024, 09:38:37 AMGreat write up as always Erimus 👍
Unfortunately I think that Villa will be too sharp for us. We saw what Brighton did to us. Going for 3-1 to Villa.

Cheers Smoggers51

LIDDLE_TOWERS999

BORO 1 VILE 4  🙄🙄🙄

AND TOM GLOVER TO HAVE A MARE....🙄🙄🙄
GET WELL SOON STEVE G

tunstall

Excellent stats as usual Erimus lad

I was at that game at Villa park in the pissing rain....what a game that was

Not too long back Boro and Villa were scrapping with one another seemingly every season....how things have changed

Can't see us getting anything from this one like

Boro 1 Villa 2

UTB

RiversideRifle

Been to villa a fair few times but the one that sticks out is the one where Tuncay beat them by himself
UTB

TommyDickfingers

Quote from: RiversideRifle on January 05, 2024, 10:13:00 AMBeen to villa a fair few times but the one that sticks out is the one where Tuncay beat them by himself

ZDS Semi-Final for me.

18 year old on a bus full of lads and then getting soaked in the Away end.

I think we'll really struggle with this one

Boro 5 Villa 0

RiversideRifle

Quote from: TommyDickfingers on January 05, 2024, 10:17:18 AM
Quote from: RiversideRifle on January 05, 2024, 10:13:00 AMBeen to villa a fair few times but the one that sticks out is the one where Tuncay beat them by himself

ZDS Semi-Final for me.

Boro 5 Villa 0

Yer must be owld as fuck you tommy lad  :rudi:
UTB

TerryCochranesSocks

erimus74

ZDS Semi-Final for me.

Boro 5 Villa 0

😁👍

Smoggers51

Like a few others I've been to Villa a few times ,the first time was 1970 when they beat us 2-0 .Bruce Rioch played for them.Travelled there with 9 lads in my mates Bedford van.Now I travel in comfort to away games 😂

TommyDickfingers

Quote from: RiversideRifle on January 05, 2024, 10:21:38 AM

ZDS Semi-Final for me.

Boro 5 Villa 0

Yer must be owld as fuck you tommy lad  :rudi:

Still one of the youngest on here !!

teamboro

Great write up again Erimus

Mighty Reds 0-3 Villa
TEESSIDER and Proud  of the area unlike some and I'm not a Racist

Johnny Thunder

Another top match thread Erimus.

:bigjack

0-28

:rav:

erimus74

Quote from: LIDDLE_TOWERS999 (MODERATOR) on January 05, 2024, 09:46:01 AMBORO 1 VILE 4  🙄🙄🙄

AND TOM GLOVER TO HAVE A MARE....🙄🙄🙄

If he has to have a bad game then this is one for me

Bud Wiser

"As David v Goliath games go this is up there" Eh?

No offence Erimus74 but we're not in the 4th Divison yet!
SAMMY AMEOBI - CAN I HAVE YOUR SHIRT PLEASE

erimus74

Quote from: Bud Wiser on January 05, 2024, 02:59:12 PM"As David v Goliath games go this is up there" Eh?

True Bud, but I'm looking at the players that will be available to us, compared to who they could put out, we had a strong squad last season & couldn't contain Brighton, I know we done a number on Spurs but again, a strongish Boro team, just think we'll be so weak tomorrow that it'll seem a mountain to climb

Maybe David v Goliath was a bit OTT

Bud Wiser

Quote from: erimus74 on January 05, 2024, 03:23:11 PM
Quote from: Bud Wiser on January 05, 2024, 02:59:12 PM"As David v Goliath games go this is up there" Eh?

True Bud, but I'm looking at the players that will be available to us, compared to who they could put out, we had a strong squad last season & couldn't contain Brighton, I know we done a number on Spurs but again, a strongish Boro team, just think we'll be so weak tomorrow that it'll seem a mountain to climb

Maybe David v Goliath was a bit OTT

I don't think they'll be at full strength either. We could have more than a fighting chance but thats up to our predictable manager. Start with a back three of VDB, Fry & Clarke with Jones at right wing-back, Engel at left wing-back (where he can cause less damage defensively) and partner Latte-Lath & Coburn up front.
Unfortunately, Carrick won't entertain anything like that, so when the shit does hit the fan he'll stick to his tried & trusted formula of... switching left-backs! That'll bamboozal 'em!!

All of a sudden your David v Goliath analogy isn't so far fetched after all.
SAMMY AMEOBI - CAN I HAVE YOUR SHIRT PLEASE

erimus74

erimus74

Just read on the evening gazette site that Hackney, Crooks & Lath should be available for selection tomorrow, with Forss & O'Brien not far behind, could they be available v Chelsea?

AtomicDog

Why must I feel like that . . . Why must I chase the 🐈