The demise of Marske United

Started by Francks left peg, December 30, 2023, 05:41:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Francks left peg

Did anyone go to their game today? They were hoping for a record attendance. Got 1200 attending. Needed 1500 to break the record. I have heard player salaries are £6k per week. No wonder they're in trouble with the sizes of their average gates.

Blott

I do feel for them. It reminds me a little of George Reynolds at Darlo, dreams bigger than reality.

I hope they survive. I go to Guisborough once in a while. Good level of football without the nonsense.

Francks left peg

Yes, hopefully they survive and learn by their overspending. Unfortunately, it's common in the lower leagues where it's unsustainable spending to get to the promised land!

Blott

Quote from: Francks left peg on December 30, 2023, 06:03:42 PMYes, hopefully they survive and learn by their overspending. Unfortunately, it's common in the lower leagues where it's unsustainable spending to get to the promised land!
it's always the one man band clubs. In the passed Gretna did it in Scotland I think they even made a cup final. A town with crowds of circa 800.

Francks left peg

Crazy. If you compare them to some clubs in the same league, they are pulling in 3/4 times the crowd size. Marske is too small to sustain the size of the team

BoroRedKen

Its sad to watch.

Razor seems to know a bit.

Any news Razor?

Bud Wiser

Quote from: Francks left peg on December 30, 2023, 05:41:46 PMDid anyone go to their game today? They were hoping for a record attendance. Got 1200 attending. Needed 1500 to break the record. I have heard player salaries are £6k per week. No wonder they're in trouble with the sizes of their average gates.

Not sure about the 6 grand a week bit but I certainly know of one contracted player, currently in dispute with the club, getting paid £500 a week for doing jack-shit! Obscene at this level.
SAMMY AMEOBI - CAN I HAVE YOUR SHIRT PLEASE

BoroRedKen

At that level it should be a basic match pay and expenses.

50 a match.

Sorted.

RaZor Ramon

Quote from: Nekder (Kenny) on December 31, 2023, 12:57:42 AMIts sad to watch.

Any news Razor?
Not much news to be fair. I've heard it's just bad debt management.
Players aren't getting paid 6k a week I know that for absolute certainty.

As I've mentioned before it's a case of too much success too quickly.

If the worst happens I've heard we'll start again in Northern League div 2 next season.

Blott

It always makes me wonder how the Scottish 2nd div survives with the tiny crowds.

BoroRedKen

Quote from: RaZor Ramon on December 31, 2023, 10:57:22 AM

Any news Razor?

If the worst happens I've heard we'll start again in Northern League div 2 next season.

:bigjack

BoroRedKen

Quote from: Blott on December 31, 2023, 11:02:37 AMIt always makes me wonder how the Scottish 2nd div survives with the tiny crowds.

Brexit?

:alf:

Blott

Brexit, run by countries led by right wing nutters. Oh how I laugh.

BoroRedKen

Gboro64

I try to watch Marske whenever Boro are away or not playing and also play walking football which is run by them.
They have really climbed through the pyramid too quickly and have had to spend a fortune on upgrading their facilities and obviously higher levels football means higher wages for the players as Stockton will find out if they are promoted.
Marske are a proper community club and it would be a travesty if they don't survive when there is so much money floating about at the top level of the game.

BoroRedKen

What Gizzy says sums it really.

:bigjack

Francks left peg

Quote from: RaZor Ramon on December 31, 2023, 10:57:22 AM

Any news Razor?

I meant 6k collectively.

BoroRedKen

The 6k figure is probably about right.

What is their official squad size?

RaZor Ramon

Quote from: Gboro64 on December 31, 2023, 01:07:30 PMI try to watch Marske whenever Boro are away or not playing and also play walking football which is run by them.
They have really climbed through the pyramid too quickly and have had to spend a fortune on upgrading their facilities and obviously higher levels football means higher wages for the players as Stockton will find out if they are promoted.
Marske are a proper community club and it would be a travesty if they don't survive when there is so much money floating about at the top level of the game.
It's not looking good unless a local businessman/woman comes in with £100k which is a horrible time of year.

My beef is with the FA. They are quite happy to let professional clubs run in debt every season knowing fine well TV money and gate receipts will tide them over for the season but fuck the non league clubs.

The FA needs restructuring from top to bottom.

Francks left peg

Quote from: RaZor Ramon on December 31, 2023, 06:45:18 PM
Quote from: Gboro64 on December 31, 2023, 01:07:30 PMI try to watch Marske whenever Boro are away or not playing and also play walking football which is run by them.
It's not looking good unless a local businessman/woman comes in with £100k which is a horrible time of year.

My beef is with the FA. They are quite happy to let professional clubs run in debt every season knowing fine well TV money and gate receipts will tide them over for the season but fuck the non league clubs.

The FA needs restructuring from top to bottom.

I don't fancy their chances Razor. I have everything crossed they get a new owner/reform effectively in npl2

Francks left peg

Looks like they are starting again. Writing was on the wall when the manager left.

RaZor Ramon

Quote from: Francks left peg on January 04, 2024, 02:05:16 PMLooks like they are starting again. Writing was on the wall when the manager left.
Sinking ship springs to mind.
Can't begrudge Spike and Clarky taking a higher opportunity but just makes Spike's words about community club throughout the season feel a bit empty.

erimus74

LIDDLE_TOWERS999

Quote from: RaZor Ramon on January 04, 2024, 06:52:39 PM
Quote from: Francks left peg on January 04, 2024, 02:05:16 PMLooks like they are starting again. Writing was on the wall when the manager left.
Sinking ship springs to mind.
Can't begrudge Spike and Clarky taking a higher opportunity but just makes Spike's words about community club throughout the season feel a bit empty.

FUCKED OFF TO SPENNYMOOR 🙄🙄🙄

NOT A BIG FAN OF GRAEME.....👎
GET WELL SOON STEVE G

Francks left peg

At least they raised enough money so the club can compete next year. Would have been terrible if they folded and lost the Marske name and history.