Boro v Stoke match thread

Started by erimus74, October 26, 2023, 11:48:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

erimus74

Happy anniversary Michael Carrick & what a tremendous 12 months

Another excellent performance & 3 more points in a 2-1 win at Norwich City on Tuesday

Due to our remarkable run of 6 consecutive league wins we find ourselves on the edges of the playoffs (7 consecutive wins on the bounce in all competitions) an unbeaten run that goes back to the 16th October when Blackburn beat us 2-1 at their place
Are we now back to showing our form from last season!

Not forgetting, IMHO, our best keeper since Schwarzer, Dieng has conceded just the one goal in 270 minutes of football, coming in the final minute of that run
I cant really fault him for any goals we've conceded this season, his commanding confidence must surely rub off on the players around him & on the odd occasions Norwich got behind our defence he was there to clear the danger

We've had our fair share of injuries this season, either long term injuries, or illness, which hasn't really affected the form the team is showing one iota, we were missing up to six 1st teamers against Norwich in McGree, Forss, Lenihen, O'Brien, Smith & Latte lath, with 2 of those long term absentees, now we have Hackney suspended due to an incompetent ref & possibly Engle missing with a groin strain for the Stoke game, talk about the walking wounded, who could be available for the Stoke game is anyone's guess

Some vital positioned weakened, yet Michael Carrick has the players coming in & performing to such a high standard that its not only a credit to Carrick & Woodgate but a credit to the recruitment team & Gibbo, not forgetting Bauser too

Certainly wont be the same team on Saturday that started v Norwich, that's for sure, probably the team that finished the game with the added bonus & welcome return of Dijksteel to the team

If we score v Stoke on Saturday it will be the 100th we scored past them in a home fixture

14/3/2022 - This fixture last season seen Chuba score our  1,000th goal at the Riverside in all competitions, in a hard fought 1-1 draw

25/04/1902 - 1st home game against Stoke City ended in a 1-1 draw, it was our final home fixture at our Linthorpe Road ground before moving to Ayresome Park

It'll be the 53rd meeting between both teams on Teesside with the following record
Won - 32
Drew - 12
Lost - 8
Goals scored – 99
Goals against - 44

4/11/1933 - Biggest home win v Stoke 6-1 (included in the photos),  with a few 5 goal wins thrown in

Home hat tricks v Stoke City

7/04/1906 - Boro 5 Stoke City 0 - Alf Common became the 7th different hat trick goalscorer when he notched his 2nd Boro hat trick, the clubs 7th hat trick, 3rd at Ayresome Park & 8th in total

4 goals v Stoke City    

7/09/1904 - Boro 5 Stoke City 4 - Micky Fenton became the 18th different Boro player to score 4 in one game 14th time 4 had been scored at Ayresome Park & 18th out of the 30 in total we've scored throughout our history

Home penalties v Stoke

16/12/1922 George Elliott became the 13th different penalty goalscorer Boro won 3-1 1st division
22/04/1950 Wilf Mannion became the 31st different penalty goalscorer Boro won 3-1 1st division
21/02/1981 Bosco Jankovic became the 46th different penalty goalscorer Boro won 3-1 1st division

Home Boro debuts v Stoke City

25/10/1924 - Hugh Good won 1-0
22/09/1934 - Ernest Coleman lost 2-0
16/04/1960 - Bob Appleby won 1-0 - Our 29th goalkeeper
26/09/1981 - Bobby Thomson won 3-2
13/08/2016 - Alvaro Negrado drew 1-1 - 81st loaned player - Loaned from Valencia - 49th at the Riverside
13/08/2016 - Marten de Roon  drew 1-1
13/08/2016 - Antonio Barragan  drew 1-1
13/08/2016 - Victor Valdes - Our 72nd goalkeeper

A number of players who played for both team

John Mahoney –John Neal 1st signing & our record signing at the time, joined the Boro in July 1977 for £90,000. "I didn't want to leave but when I looked at the fixture list, Stoke were away at Mansfield & Boro at home to Liverpool, I knew I had to go." He spent two seasons at Ayresome Park making 90 appearances.
Robert Huth –  signed for Stoke for £5 million on a 4-year contract on 27 August 2009.
Tuncay Şanlı - signed for Stoke for £5 million on a 4-year contract on 28 August 2009.
Mark Crossley - 2003 Boro loaned Crossley to Stoke where he played in 11 matches helping the club avoid relegation from the First Division.
Johnathan Woodgate - Between 2006 & 2016 he played 103 games for the Boro over 3 different spells,scoring 2 goals, our 37th loaned player when he 1st arrived of his 3 spells. 2011-12 he played 17 games for Stoke, without scoring
Chris Kamara - February 1993 LL signed CM on a one-month loan, his spell at the Boro lasted just five games, the Boro couldn't afford to offer him a permanent contract.
Andrew Davies – Played twice for Stoke following a £1.3million transfer from Southampton.
Ritchie De Laet - On 17 August 2007, he signed a 3 year contract with Championship club Stoke City for an initial £100,000 fee, didn't play a single game for Stoke, played 10 games on loan for the Boro.
Graham Kavanagh - Has the honour of scoring Stoke's first goal at the Britannia Stadium in a League Cup match against Rochdale. He left Stoke in the summer of 2001 after making 244 appearances, scoring 45 goals.
Mick Kennedy - Made 39 appearances for Stoke in 1990–91 scoring three goals in a poor season which saw Stoke finish in their lowest ever league position of 14th in the third tier.
John Eustace - 2003 loaned from Coventry he only made one substitute appearance for the Boro, away to Liverpool, where he appeared for only the final two minutes of the game, signed for Stoke the following season.
Shay Given - Kept ten clean sheets in 16 league games while at the Boro.
Nicky Mohan – 99 games for the Boro, 92 games for Stoke.
Dean Whitehead – 132 games for Stoke, 55 games for the Boro
Brian Horne - 1992 he played in goal 4 times for the Boro & one game or Stoke
Dave Kitson – Stoke 34 games 3 goals, Boro 6 games 3 goals.
Frazer Richardson – Stoke 13 games, 1 goal, Boro11 games 0 goals.

Managed Stoke & connections with the Boro:

Chris Kamara Played for the Boro
Brian Little brought as 1st team coach by Bruce Rioch, before becoming Darlington's manager in 89

Boro stat
Cameron Jerome, who between 2011 & 2014 played 50 games for Stoke, was released from the Boro in 2003, was a 92nd-minute substitute, along with David Murphy & Stuart Parnaby 2 ex Boro players, as Birmingham won the 2011 League Cup, defeating Arsenal 2–1 at Wembley

tunstall

Anyone remember the horrific home defeat at Ayresome Park on New Years Day?

We were fucking awful and the ref was one of the worst I'd seen....

erimus74

Quote from: tunstall on October 26, 2023, 11:52:57 AMAnyone remember the horrific home defeat at Ayresome Park on New Years Day?

We were fucking awful and the ref was one of the worst I'd seen....

Yes 0-0, remember it well, awful game
Paul Kerr kicked the ball at the ref, within a few minutes Bruce subbed Kerr before the ref sent him off

We also played em 1st jan 1975, at home, Peter Shilton in goalnfor Stoke, again 0-0

tunstall

Oh. I thought we lost?

Maybe it just felt like a defeat because of how bad we were

Johnny Thunder

erimus74

We never won on new years day while playing at Ayresome Park in my lifetime

John Trebor

I've no real stand out memories of any matches against Stoke, which is odd.

Other than Souness scoring a cracker in a white shirt on MOTD.

erimus74

Mate just texted me to say Forss is out for upto 6 weeks, picked up injury playing for Finland

Engle, big doubt for tomorrow with most likely Bangura getting the nod, if things go for us & we have the luxuary then late in the game, Dijksteel replaces Bangura, both have had little minutes on the pitch

Hope Latte Lath is available, he's a must to come on against a tiring defence

erimus74

1926/27 season was the 1st time we won 6 league games on the bounce

After starting the 2nd division season with 3 consecutive defeats we drew 0-0 draw at South Shields, then won 6 on the bounce, losing our 7th game 4-3 away to Forest, went up as champions that season

1st division 1937/38 season, we won 7 on the bounce, drew the 8th & won the 9th, we actually started the 7 game run with a draw too

2nd divison 1973-74 we won 9 consecutive games on the bounce, drawing our 10th in a goaless home draw with Bolton

teamboro

1-0 mighty Reds

Keep the faith
TEESSIDER and Proud  of the area unlike some and I'm not a Racist

LIDDLE_TOWERS999

BORO LIONS 🦁 2

THE POTTERS 🍙 1

COBURN
LATH

💪💪💪
GET WELL SOON STEVE G

LIDDLE_TOWERS999

HAD A WHISPER OF THE TEAM SATURDAY 😉

DEING
RVB
FRY
MCNAIR
ENGEL
HOWSON
JONES
CROOKS
BARLASER
ROGERS
COBURN
GET WELL SOON STEVE G

Westlane_rightwinger

2 v 1 based purely on guess work and our home history against them.

They were good last season but seemed to have taken a while to gel so far.

RiversideRifle

UTB

TommyDickfingers

Injuries may play a big part in how we perform so I'll say it will be a very tight game, similar to Brum

Mighty Boro 7 Stokeists 0

TerryCochranesSocks

erimus74

Quote from: LIDDLE_TOWERS999 (MODERATOR) on October 27, 2023, 01:50:47 PMHAD A WHISPER OF THE TEAM SATURDAY 😉

DEING
RVB
FRY
MCNAIR
ENGEL
HOWSON
JONES
CROOKS
BARLASER
ROGERS
COBURN

Engel, hopefully hes fit & Rogers for Greenwood

erimus74

Quote from: TommyDickfingers on October 27, 2023, 02:35:51 PMInjuries may play a big part in how we perform so I'll say it will be a very tight game, similar to Brum

Mighty Boro 7 Stokeists 0

😁

erimus74

Mike Peeler

I have a feeling these might frustrate us and end our winning run. Head says Draw 2-2 :carrick3: . The heart will go with a two-nil Boro win.  :leo3:

New Division

Nosmo-King

Apparently club says they are expecting 28000 plus attendance tomorrow - good going if true

LIDDLE_TOWERS999

Quote from: erimus74 on October 27, 2023, 02:49:47 PM
Quote from: LIDDLE_TOWERS999 (MODERATOR) on October 27, 2023, 01:50:47 PMHAD A WHISPER OF THE TEAM SATURDAY 😉

DEING
RVB
FRY
MCNAIR
ENGEL
HOWSON
JONES
CROOKS
BARLASER
ROGERS
COBURN

I'LL BE SURPRISED IF HE DROPS GREENWOOD LIKE 🤔
GET WELL SOON STEVE G

erimus74

Quote from: LIDDLE_TOWERS999 (MODERATOR) on October 27, 2023, 03:46:06 PM
Quote from: erimus74 on October 27, 2023, 02:49:47 PM

DEING
RVB
FRY
MCNAIR
ENGEL
HOWSON
JONES
CROOKS
BARLASER
ROGERS
COBURN

I'LL BE SURPRISED IF HE DROPS GREENWOOD LIKE 🤔

He dropped Crooks for Greenwood & TBF Rogets has done well the past few games coming off from tge bench, maybe time to give him a start

Mike Peeler

I doubt he would drop Greenwood unless he has a knock of sorts.

The might be trying to weed the snouts out.. someone OTR kept dropping the correct team.

Its all about fone margins these days - im not doubting your snout like