Boro v Cardiff match thread

Started by erimus74, October 02, 2023, 09:15:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

erimus74

What's the saying, you wait for a bus to come along, then three turn up at once

Following our excellent 3-2 win at Watford on Saturday, which extends our unbeaten run to 4 games, winning 3 on the bounce, we welcome Cardiff City to the Riverside for our 1st midweek home game of the season under the floodlights

Similar to most of our game over Southampton, the vast majority of the Bradford game, along with the 1st 15 minutes at Watford & after they equalised I honestly think, we're getting back to how we performed at our best periods last season, obviously the goal threat is the difference but our play at times has been exceptional, especially rewarding when, well I did, questioned if we were going to be good enough to get out of the bottom half a dozen teams

Well we are, we will climb the table & push for a top 8 place, maybe higer

Unfortunately Lewis O'Brien, who has been a vital player for us in our unbeaten run suffered an injury, from a poor tackle may I add, that will see him sidelined for a considerable time, maybe the season, time will tell, along with Alex Bangura, we have lost 2 left sided players that we were hoping would push us on, certainly the case with O'Brien
What does Michael Carrick say about opportunities for others, O'Brien will be missed big style

3 games v Cardiff that stand out for me

5th November 1983 - Malcolm Allison was having a goalkeeping crises with Kelham O'Hanlon injured in our 4-0 win over Shrewsbury & struggling to be available for the next league game & no with back up keeper available turned to Man Utd's 21 year old reserve keeper, Stephen Pears, Ron Atkinson agreed on an initial 6 match loan, which was repeated later on in the season
Stephen Pears became our 1st ever loaned player when he made his debut at home to Cardiff City with Boro winning the game 2-0
Dave Currie put the Boro 1-0 up,  Andy Crawford doubled our lead when scoring our 2nd goal his only 1st team goal, in 9 games & against his former employers
The ref blows the final whistle & MOTM Stephen Pears get a great ovation from the holgate, who chanted to big Mal to sign him on, sign him on, sign him on, watching in the stands injured Kelham O'Hanlon must have put his head in his hands & thought, "well that's me finished here"

FACQF Enough said  :unbelievable:

13th September 2023 - The last visit Cardiff City made to the Riverside was a 3-2 win for the away team, though that doesn't tell half the story, this was Chris Wilders penultimate home game as manager, times were grim & the game certainly lived up to it, as within 20 minutes we were 2 nil down, silly mistakes getting punished & as the half progressed, we were trying/hoping to hold it together to keep the score at that till HT, only for Cardiff  to score a 3rd bang on HT, even that score we got lucky going in at HT only the 3 goals down
2nd half was a different story as we pressed for some sort of respectability, in the 65th minute Duncan Whatmore had a great chance to score but put his chance wide, then in the 70th minute  Whatmore made amends when he scored to bring the score to 3-1 & a bit of respectability then within a minute Muniz scored our 2nd & game on, unfortunately as much as they tried the Boro couldn't force the equaliser that looked unrealistic as the team entered the field at the start of the 2nd half

The 1st home fixture against Cardiff City was a 1st division match on the 1st October 1921 the game finished goalless

Boro v Cardiff City fixture will be the 37th fixture on Teesside between the 2 teams, with the following record:
Won - 16
Drew  - 8
Lost - 12
Goals scored - 50
Goals against - 39

Home hat tricks v Cardiff

11/2/1958  Alan Peacock scored his 1st Boro hat trick when he became the 33rd different Boro player to score three goals in a 4-1 win, Bill Harris scored the 4th goal, the 65th HT at Ayresome Park & 84th overall

Home penalties v Cardiff

11/1/1958 Bill Harris - Our 117th home penalty - We won 4-1
2/9/1959 Bill Harris  - Our 122nd home penalty - We drew 1-1
11/12/2010 Julio Arca - Our 246th home penalty - We won 1-0

Debuts v Cardiff

19/8/1953 John McMurray signed from Billingham Synthonia & Kenneth McPherson signed from Notts County home 0-0 draw
3/10/1960 Gordon Jones home lost 3-4 - Our 1st ever league cup match
20/11/1965 Stan Anderson home lost 4-3 - Scored on debut, our 1st ever player coach (coach wasn't a  manager back then)
9/3/1968 Joe Laidlaw home lost 2-3
5/11/1983 Stephen Pears home won 2-0 - Our 1st ever loaned player
29/9/1984 Tony McAndrew home won 3-2 - 3rd former Boro player to return to the Boro in the Darren Wood & money exchange, after David Mills & much, much earlier, Andrew 'Nesbit' Wilson
2/3/2013 Sammy Ameobi home won 2-0 - Scored on his debut - Loaned from Newcastle our 57th loanee
23/2/2016 Julien de Start Boro home won 3-1 - Loaned from Leicester City our 81st loanee

Boro facts:

24/3/1923 - After 22 seasons & 622 games goalkeeper Tim 'Tiny' Williamson played his final Boro game at home to Cardiff City, unfortunately we lost the game 1-0

Our 1st ever League cup fixture was at home to Cardiff, 3rd October 1960, we lost 4-3, Brian Clough scored, Alan Peacock scored a brace, Gordon Jones made his debut, Willie Fernie made his final appearance before moving to Celtic

18/9/1071 - Michael Allen made his final appearance at home to Cardiff before moving to Brentford

Played for both clubs:

Micky Burns - Signed by John Neal, played 61 games for Boro, scoring 24 goals, played 6 for Cardiff scoring zero goals
Alan Foggon - Stan Andersons penultimate paying Cardiff £10k when he signed for the Boro, played,115 games for Boro, scoring 45 goals, 17 for Cardiff scoring 1 goal
Jonny Vincent - 40 games for Boro, scoring 7 goals, played 66 for Cardiff scoring 11 goals
George Smith - 74 games for Boro, zero goals, played 45 for Cardiff scoring 1 goal
Andy Crawford - signed by Malcolm Allison played 10 games for Boro, scoring 1 goal, which ironically was against Cardiff in a 2-0 win, played 6 for Cardiff, also scoring 1 goal
Andy Campbell - 56 games for Boro, scoring 4 goals, played 73 for Cardiff scoring 12 goals, including scoring the winning goal against QPR in the playoff final
Graham Kavanagh - 35 games for Boro, scoring 3 goals, played 142 for Cardiff scoring 28 goals
Lee Tomlin - 56 games for Boro, scoring 11 goals, played 16 for Cardiff scoring 1 goal
Joe Bennett - 85 games for Boro, scoring 1 goal, played 99 for Cardiff scoring 4 goals
Andy Dibble -  2 loan spells at the Boro, 1st one, a good loan spell under Boro manager under Colin Todd while at Ayresome Park, stepping in for the injured Stephen Pears we reached the playoffs only to lose at Notts County, managed by future Boro manager & playoff winner Neil Warnock, in the semi final stage & the 2nd spell, under Bryan Robson at the Riverside, only playing 2 games of agreed 4 game loan spell when he shipped in 9 goals, 5 at QPR, 4 at Forest. In total, 21 games for Boro, 62 games for the Cardiff
Aden Flint - 39 games for Boro, scoring 1 goal, which was on his home debut, played 86 for Cardiff scoring 10 goals

Managed both clubs

Neil Warnock
Lennie Lawrence

Done the double over each other

Seasons - Boro 1957-58, 1962-63, 2010-11, 2014-15 & 2021-22
Seasons - Cardiff 1923-24, 1965-66, 1967-68 & 2017-18

LIDDLE_TOWERS999

HARD GAME AS CARDIFF ARE DOING OK...

BORO LIONS 🦁 2 BLUEBIRDS 🐦 1

COBURN
CROOKS
GET WELL SOON STEVE G

Johnny Thunder

Another excellent match thread Erimus.

:bigjack

I think this is going to be a tough game. They are flying at the moment.
On current form, they are second only to Leicester.

2-2

:leo2:

erimus74

Cheers Johnny 👍

Didn't realise that regarding their form, another big test for us to see how far we have improved over the last 3 league games

Johnny Thunder

I'm not sure if it is correct, but I've just read on oneBoro that they have a pretty large injury list at the moment.

Northallerton_Boro

Another tough game but i think we will take it 2-1

Coburn and Crooks

AtomicDog

Why must I feel like that . . . Why must I chase the 🐈

Westlane_rightwinger

They are second on form and did the world a favour by beating the stop on the New...Carstle metro last week.

Without O'Brien 1 - 1.

With O'Brien 2 -1.

teamboro

Very tough game 2-1 mighty Reds
TEESSIDER and Proud  of the area unlike some and I'm not a Racist

erimus74

Quote from: Westlane_rightwinger on October 02, 2023, 11:52:54 AMThey are second on form and did the world a favour by beating the stop on the New...Carstle metro last week.

Without O'Brien 1 - 1.

With O'Brien 2 -1.

😁

erimus74

LIDDLE_TOWERS999

GET WELL SOON STEVE G

erimus74

C'mon Boro!

Lets continue our climb up the table

Apart from Leicester, who for me, will easily win this league, the majority are as good, bad, as each other, sort out our defensive duties & we'll be fine this season

BoroRedKen

What a cracking read E-Man.

Heart and soul!

Thanks Erimus.

👍👍

erimus74

Would love to have seen an unchanged team from the Watford game that startdd but sadly we still dont know the scan of O'Brien & the length of time hes out for

erimus74

Quote from: Nekder (Kenny) on October 03, 2023, 09:03:01 AMWhat a cracking read E-Man.

Heart and soul!

Thanks Erimus.

👍👍

Cheers Ken, as per, my pleasure

BoroRedKen

Wont be long before Pastey the Copyboy starts nicking these match threads!!

I will smash a dolls house up if he does!!

🤣👍

erimus74

Quote from: Nekder (Kenny) on October 03, 2023, 09:05:21 AMWont be long before Pastey the Copyboy starts nicking these match threads!!

I will smash a dolls house up if he does!!

🤣👍

You'll have to get em copyrighted 😏

erimus74

As you say Ken, its all from the heart & most of that stuff is sadly, stuck in my head

tunstall

Be a tough test tonight, we've had some horror showings against these over the years

Here's hoping we can keep the momentum going tonight...

Boro 0 Cardiff 1

UTB

erimus74

Quote from: tunstall on October 03, 2023, 09:12:31 AMBe a tough test tonight, we've had some horror showings against these over the years

Here's hoping we can keep the momentum going tonight...

Boro 0 Cardiff 1

UTB

😏

LIDDLE_TOWERS999

Quote from: erimus74 on October 03, 2023, 09:03:53 AMWould love to have seen an unchanged team from the Watford game that startdd but sadly we still dont know the scan of O'Brien & the length of time hes out for

HEARD HE'S OUT THE REST OF THE SEASON 😔
GET WELL SOON STEVE G

Blott

It's a win, we carry on by Xmas top 6, by March top 4, then we never know.

RiversideRifle

Wish I could make tonight. Red button or club stream anyone? Reckon 2-0 a clean sheet would be nice
UTB