Boro v Sheff Weds match thread

Started by erimus74, September 18, 2023, 06:39:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

erimus74

Well here we are again, a quick turnaround when we find ourselves back in championship football as these games come thick & fast with no time for feeling sorry for ourselves & so on the back of another away defeat we see ourselves facing fellow strugglers & newly promoted Sheff Weds at Hillsborough

Sheff Weds sit one place above us, on a single point like us, but minus 6 goals, as opposed to our minus 9 & having lost at home to fellow promotion winners Ipswich Town last Saturday then IMHO, this represents another game, when the Boro are trying to find their fit, to get our 1st win of the season

With the following comments from Sheff Weds manager Xisco Munoz on Saturday, it gives us hope that we will create chances, its putting them away that has been our fall down this season                                                                                                   "All I can say is sorry (to the fans) because I'm very, very disappointed about the first 45 minutes. After that, the team had a good reaction, but not enough."For me, we need to give for 90 minutes the same level and the same intensity."I can say 'so sorry' to the fans today because I was very, very frustrated about the first half. If we don't change, it is impossible to take the points because the Championship is a very, very, very high level."

But 3 defeats on our travels, with 3 goals scored & 9 conceded speaks for itself, we cant continue to leak goals no matter how many chances we create, it doesn't bode well if our aspirations are to mount a serious promotion challenge, far from it, but Michael Carrick can see positive signs in our play so hopefully, fingers crossed, we can turn this around & prove his comments right

The championship is the best league in the world, if you set your teams up right, well drilled & organised then you are half way there in having a decent season, show any weakness & teams will outbattle you, the fortunate thing is, strikers at this level will not always capitalize on teams mistakes, as we have witnessed at both ends of the pitch just this season

I'm going with the same team that started against Blackburn, even though Blackburn could & should have been well clear by the time we scored we still had 21 shots at goal, to their 18 & 6 on target, to their 8, so small margins I know but we have to have something to cling onto

I'll put my head on the block & predict a 3-1 Boro win, with a brace from Latte, he has to start doing the goods, he's getting enough opportunities, just show more composure when running in on goal

16th February 1895 - Our 1st away fixture to Sheff Weds sen us get battered 6-1 in an FAC 2nd round game
28th April 1900 - Our 1st league game away to Sheff Weds was no better, with us losing this game 3-0

We've had a few mixed results in these Sheff Weds v Boro fixtures, with this been the 55th fixture in South Yorkshire with the following record:

Won - 15
Drew - 5
Lost   - 34
Goals scored - 63
Goals against - 103

We've only played out one 0-0 draw away to Sheff Weds

No away hat tricks v Sheff Weds

Debuts away to Sheff Weds

13/9/1902 - John Hogg - lost 2-1
5/9/1903 - Edward Gettings, William White, Alex Brown & Samule Aitken - lost 4-1
16/9/1905 - Thomas Murray - lost 3-0
1/9/1914 - Archibald Wilson - lost 3-1
30/8/1919 - Charles Dixon, William Ellerington, William Fox & John Curtis -won 1-0
25/1/1932 - Edward Marcroft - scored on debut - drew 1-1
13/12/1958 - Ray Yeoman - lost 2-0
8/12/1973 - Jimmy Cochrane - drew 2-2
28/8/1982 - Mick Kenney - lost 3-1
1/5/1992 - Andy Collett - Our 50th used goalkeeper - drew 3-3
1/3/1997 - Ben Roberts - Our 54th used goalkeeper - lost 3-1
26/12/1999 - Carlos Maranelli  - lost 1-0
4/5/2013 - Christian Burgess - Only the one game, 58th different Boro player to only play the one game then gone - lost 2-0
1/3/2014 - Thomas Mejias -  64th loaned player - Loaned from Real Madrid B - 43rd at the Riverside

Some who have represented Boro & Sheff Weds, though IMHO, most famously is the main one

John Hickton, signed from Sheff Weds in 1966
Jack Charlton managed both teams
Robbie Mustoe
Mark Proctor
David Hodgson
Ian Bailey
Darren Wood
Nigel Pearson
Eric McMordie
Adam Reach
Jordon Rhodes

My 2nd ever away game was Sheffield Wednesday v Boro 1972.

Ural Quntz (Moderator)

Wasn't Eddie Holliday signed from Wednesday the second time round?

I remember as a young un seeing 'Boro sign England Winger' on a Gazette news board and rushing into buy and find out which top signing we'd made

It was of course slightly disappointing to find who it was.

Good player in his time and part of that amazing forward line of Day, McLean, Clough, Peacock, Holliday

At least 3 of them England Internationals and we still couldn't get over the line

Maybe due to the bent defenders we had then letting them in at the other end?

AtomicDog

Why must I feel like that . . . Why must I chase the 🐈

RiversideRifle

UTB

TommyDickfingers

We'll win a scrappy affair

Wednesday 3 Boro 6

tunstall

Erimus - Viv Anderson also played for both teams

I personally think we'll get dicked three nil

erimus74

Quote from: TommyDickfingers on September 18, 2023, 08:21:02 PMWe'll win a scrappy affair

Wednesday 3 Boro 6

You know what Tommy, as daft as it sounds, if Carricks strike force strike gold & lets face it we've had the chaces, I can games panning out like that

Keanu_Reeves

It's battle of the turds on Tuesday - can't see where the next point is at the moment

TommyDickfingers

Quote from: erimus74 on September 18, 2023, 08:33:16 PM
Quote from: TommyDickfingers on September 18, 2023, 08:21:02 PMWe'll win a scrappy affair

Wednesday 3 Boro 6

You know what Tommy, as daft as it sounds, if Carricks strike force strike gold & lets face it we've had the chaces, I can games panning out like that

Erimus your match posts are legendary but there's more chance of striking gold in eston hills than our lot putting away their chances

Westlane_rightwinger

Never rated any of the Sheffield clubs and Wednesday seem to have more hype than the other lot. Obvious affection for the crumbling Hillsbrough but other than that if can't bear this shower of shite it will be destination Division 3

RiversideRifle

UTB

erimus74

Quote from: TommyDickfingers on September 18, 2023, 08:38:51 PM
Quote from: erimus74 on September 18, 2023, 08:33:16 PM

Wednesday 3 Boro 6

Erimus your match posts are legendary but there's more chance of striking gold in eston hills than our lot putting away their chances

😁

erimus74

Quote from: tunstall on September 18, 2023, 08:31:49 PMErimus - Viv Anderson also played for both teams

I personally think we'll get dicked three nil

great shout tunstall 👍

erimus74

Bud Wiser

SAMMY AMEOBI - CAN I HAVE YOUR SHIRT PLEASE

New Division

LIDDLE_TOWERS999

WENDY'S 3 BORO 0 🙄🙄🙄

MCGREE AND COBURN SHOULD BOTH BE STARTING BUT THE SILLY CUNT WON'T 😡😡😡
GET WELL SOON STEVE G

Johnny Thunder

teamboro

Sheff wed 2-1 Boro

Another defeat I'm afraid one were on Sky,2 we are shite all over and finally we are shite 😁😁😁😁😁

Prove me wrong Mighty Reds
TEESSIDER and Proud  of the area unlike some and I'm not a Racist

Mike Peeler

A tricky ground for us this one - it is fair to say Sheff Wed is a bit of a sleeping giant. In the right ownership hands and in the premier league for a few stable years - they could kick on - as could many others. More now a busted flush, I would say, as opposed to any of that happening.

Im going Boro to win but wouldn't be surprised to see a draw played out which helps no side on the face of things but does ease the pressure a tad on Carrick.

0.2 to Boro! Latte Lath to start things off with the first.

CMON BORO!!

TommyDickfingers

Quote from: Mike Peeler on September 19, 2023, 08:05:01 AMA tricky ground for us this one - it is fair to say Sheff Wed is a bit of a sleeping giant. In the right ownership hands and in the premier league for a few stable years - they could kick on - as could many others. More now a busted flush, I would say, as opposed to any of that happening.

Im going Boro to win but wouldn't be surprised to see a draw played out which helps no side on the face of things but does ease the pressure a tad on Carrick.

CMON BORO!!

Not a chance we will keep a clean sheet.

Mike Peeler

Quote from: TommyDickfingers on September 19, 2023, 08:25:57 AM
Quote from: Mike Peeler on September 19, 2023, 08:05:01 AMA tricky ground for us this one - it is fair to say Sheff Wed is a bit of a sleeping giant. In the right ownership hands and in the premier league for a few stable years - they could kick on - as could many others. More now a busted flush, I would say, as opposed to any of that happening.

CMON BORO!!

Not a chance we will keep a clean sheet.

Its the only chance I see in us getting a win is keeping a clean sheet along with it. :rav:

tunstall

Nosmo-King

No change in style and tactics, now firmly sussed by all opposition equals another defeat for me.

Carrick either changes or will be dismissed. Record since April is abysmal and if the run of results continues there is no other viable conclusion.

I was all for his appointment- initially it looked to be brilliant. However in recent months it has gone badly, badly wrong- and the stubbornness is costing us, mind a poor playing staff doesn't help!

TommyDickfingers

Quote from: Nosmo-King on September 19, 2023, 10:55:25 AMNo change in style and tactics, now firmly sussed by all opposition equals another defeat for me.

Carrick either changes or will be dismissed. Record since April is abysmal and if the run of results continues there is no other viable conclusion.

I was all for his appointment- initially it looked to be brilliant. However in recent months it has gone badly, badly wrong- and the stubbornness is costing us, mind a poor playing staff doesn't help!

Have faith, I've got a feeling it'll click tonight and we'll win 0-0

:carrick3: