This day 29th August 1981

Started by erimus74, August 29, 2023, 09:47:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

erimus74

Boro flashback - Following John Neals rsignation, he resigned at the end of the previous season  in protest at realising the clubs plans selling the clubs assetts, the board offered the position to Bobby Murdoch, who on this day took charge of the seasons opener & his 1st Boro game at home to Spurs, with the departure of David Armstrong, Mark Proctor & Craig Johnston to build up the directors bank balance Bobby Murdoch, couldnt have started life any harder, he was basiccally starting life as Boro manager with one hand tied behind his back

Bobby Murdoch was replacing the clubs rolls royce players with relaint robin signings, players who were not up to the 1st division standard, Heine Otto apart

In our line up were 3 players making their debuts
Joe Bolton from Sunderland, Mick Baxter from Preston & Heine Otto, who in my honest opinion, was a top class signing, I loved his style, his skill, his love of my club

Boro kicked off in blazing sunshine towards the holgate & after 11 minutes Heine Otto scored the 1st goal, becoming our 94th different player to score on their debut, putting us one nil up past Spurs debut keeper Ray Clemence

Unfortunately our winning position was short lived & Spurs ran out 3-1 winners

A losing pattern we suffered regular throughout the season

Bobby's team

Jim Platt
John Craggs
Joe Bolton
Graham Hedley
Mick Baxter
Irvine Nattrass
Billy Woof
Heine Otto
Gary MacDonald