Bolton v Boro match thread

Started by erimus74, August 29, 2023, 12:48:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

erimus74

1st off, the last time we beat Bolton in the league cup we won the trophy, mind 19 years ago & counting

Joseph-Desire Job's opening goal was timed at one minute & 45 seconds becoming the quickest goal in a League Cup Final since it became a 'one-off' game in 1967. The previous holder was back in 1972 when Stoke City's Terry Conroy against Chelsea scored after five minutes, this led to Stoke's first trophy success in 109 years, this record lasted just 12 months when Liverpool beat the time

After 7 minutes Job was fouled in the box & the ref pointed to the spot for a penalty, Boro fans were  in dreamland, this is not the Boro way,  Bolo Zenden converted a penalty to make the score 2-0,  if VAR was around back then it would have been disallowed, typical Boro

With Boro cruising & thinking of scoring 3, 4 typical Boro reared its ugly when when after 21 minutes on the clock & no threat to our goal Kevin Davies hit a hopeful ball in to the box & somehow the ball went under the Aussies body, what!

This gave the Boro fans at the game & around the world a nervous 70 minutes of nail biting & heart failure everytime Bolton crossed the halfway line
Schrawzer stood tall,  nothing was going to get passed him after that, though, we had one piece of brilliant defending to thank for keeping our slender lead intact, with the clock ticking closer to the 90 minute mark there was a massive scramble in our penalty area when, all of a sudden, the ball was heading towards the Boro net & from out of nowhere, Ugo Ehiogu (RIP) just threw himself at the ball & blocked the goalbound effort, with his bravery he saved the day & at that moment, nothing was going to stop us winning our 1st piece of silverware, some say our first major trophy in their 128-year history, well I say apart from the Anglo Scottish cup we won in 1975

Playing Bolton in this competition seems to be our lucky omen, apart from beating them to lift the trophy we met them once before, back in 1997/98 season on our way to our 2nd league cup final when. We faced Bolton at the Riverside in a 4th round cup tie, winning 2-1 after extra time

Since our glorious Carling cup win we have played in the 3rd round 13 times, winning 7 times, 2018/19 was the last time we progressed to the 4th round

Bolton who are 3rd in the 1st divison beat Barrow 1-0 in the 1st round to get to this stage, though it has to be said, there previous home game they lost 4-0 to Wigan

2nd December 1899 - Bolton 3 Boro 0 - Our 1st fixture away to Bolton

This will be our 64th away game v Bolton with the following record

Won - 11
Drew - 17
Lost - 35
Goals scored - 69
Goals against -  119

Hat tricks away v Bolton x 2

7/11/1936 -  Bolton 1 Boro 3  11st division  - George Camsell became the 17th different Boro HT goalscorer when his scored his 13th Boro hat trick, the clubs 10th away HT & 61st overall - This was George Camsells final Boro HT

27/9/1947 -  Bolton 1 Boro 3  1st Divison - James McCormack became the 27th different Boro HT goalscorer when his scored his 1st Boro hat trick, the clubs 11th away HT & 142nd overall & Boro's  last away HT & 71st overall

Only the 2 converted penalties away to Bolton & over 100 years apart

24/2/1913 George Elliott drew 1-1 - The clubs 19th penalty
19/8/2014 Grant Leadbitter won 2-1 - The clubs 118th penalty

Played for Boro & Bolton

Jamie Pollock
Jimmy Phillips
Simon Coleman
David Wheater
Mickael Rickets
Andrew Taylor
Andy Todd

Stan Anderson managed both Boro & Bolton

tunstall

I was leathered in Cardiff like

Shed a little tear when they were parading the trophy about and Gibbo walked out on to the pitch to the loudest cheer of the day

What a good day that was

UTB

Bolton 2 Boro 0

LIDDLE_TOWERS999

TROTTERS 3 BORO STIFFS 1

😌😌😌
GET WELL SOON STEVE G

teamboro

Still to this day I can't remember bolo's penalty (I think I couldn't watch it) that game was the first time I tried whiskey as someone gave me a nip at half time and full time great day that was

Bolton 0-2 the mighty Reds (here's hoping)
TEESSIDER and Proud  of the area unlike some and I'm not a Racist

Redsteel (Moderator)

Johnny Thunder

RiversideRifle

0-3 tonight fruits 👍👍👍👍👍👍
UTB

Redsteel (Moderator)

erimus74

For me he has to play his strongest team, if we have one, hopefully progress & gain a bit of confidence with a clean sheet

2-0 Boro

Johnny Thunder

erimus74

Is Rogers any better than Payero?

Should Payero be given a game in the No10 role tonight, Rogers has probably had 90 good minutes in that role, hardly someone who can claim that spots his

Redsteel (Moderator)

Quote from: erimus74 on August 29, 2023, 08:34:54 AMIs Rogers any better than Payero?

Should Payero be given a game in the No10 role tonight, Rogers has probably had 90 good minutes in that role, hardly someone who can claim that spots his

Payero won't be involved if he's going out the door. He wasn't included in last Saturdays squad which leads you to believe he is going. I'd love to see the lad given a go but in a 433 with a good dm

John Trebor

3-1 Boro

Payero to score the third in the 88th minute after a one-two with Bryan Robson.
For some reason I'll be leading the celebrations on the pitch.
I dreamt it so its gonna come true.

AtomicDog

Could be a tight game
1-5
🐾
🐾
Why must I feel like that . . . Why must I chase the 🐈

Johnny Thunder

Quote from: erimus74 on August 29, 2023, 08:34:54 AMIs Rogers any better than Payero?

To be fair to Rogers, he has only had about two games in that role.
He was played up front with Crooks behind him.

erimus74

Quote from: Johnny Thunder on August 29, 2023, 08:52:16 AM

Maybe I wa a bit harsh, he was good v Huddersfield but poor at west brom, though in his defence hardly anyone, I just think give Payero a game, see how he copes

To be fair to Rogers, he has only had about two games in that role.
He was played up front with Crooks behind him.

Johnny Thunder

Payero is done Erimus.
Three managers have all decided he isn't good enough.
He will leave this week I think.

erimus74

Quote from: Johnny Thunder on August 29, 2023, 09:11:44 AMPayero is done Erimus.
Three managers have all decided he isn't good enough.
He will leave this week I think.

Well if he's gone it'll free up a space & save us on money too

AtomicDog

Do you think it will be on the IPTV, it wasn't on the other week?

That commentator on BBC Tees does My swede it.

At least in the league games you can watch the channel of team that we are playing, so you don't have to suffer that unfunny 🤡
Why must I feel like that . . . Why must I chase the 🐈

TheWalker

Hopefully Carrick will put out his best 11-so no Crooks

I'm going for a 1-1 draw and hopefully a Boro win on penalties

Gingerpig

I think he will be off in the next week , don't think payero is interested  & neither is carrick in payero , tonight .....goes to penalties  lose  4-3, after a 1-1  draw

LIDDLE_TOWERS999

GET WELL SOON STEVE G

erimus74

Quote from: Gingerpig on August 29, 2023, 12:19:00 PM

I think he will be off in the next week , don't think payero is interested  & neither is carrick in payero , tonight .....goes to penalties  lose  4-3, after a 1-1  draw
Penalties are in our favour, history shows we're one of the best shoit outs in the country, nothing guarenteed mind