This day 27th August 1977

Started by erimus74, August 27, 2023, 01:01:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

erimus74

Boro flashback

Big Jack had left & replaced by a gentle, talking geordie who had successfully managed a 3rd division outfit & managed them well, taking them in to europe

We shouldn't have had any doubts about John Neal, I loved his term as manager, who completely changed the way we played, as we became a very good, young attacking team, who at home scored loads of goals, our away record, the way we set ourselves up, should have been altered, which, IMHO, would have had us challenging the best teams in the 1st division

This was John Neals 2nd home game, his 1st was against Liverpool, a game that ended 1-1

27th August - Sadly Boro legend, Willie Maddren, played his last league game at Ayresome Park as the Boro ran out 2-0 win against Newcastle

With the game goaless Newcastle were awarded a penalty at the holgate end, with the holgate booing Tommy Craig ran up to take the spot kick only for gloveless Jim Platt to save the penalty, which was then hoofed away by Tony McAndrew to the eruption of the holgate.
We even had a dog running on the pitch, which was caught & taken off down the tunnel by Tony Mac, should have been Billy Woof mind
One of David Armstongs goals thar day was a top drawer free kick, again at the holgate end

Boro team that day:

Jim Platt
John Craggs
Terry Cooper
Peter Brine - John Hickton
Stuey Boam
Willie Maddren
John Mahoney
David Mills
Billy Woof
Tony McAndrew
David Armstrong

Att: 26,902, including me & our Kev in the holgate end

RIP John Neal your time with us was brilliant

https://youtu.be/dNmMs4NZVBA?si=bft080GGaakznMLi

LIDDLE_TOWERS999

I LIKED JOHN NEAL... WAS A GREAT MANAGER AND A TOTAL NICE BLOKE... BROUGHT IN SOME GOOD PLAYERS 👍
GET WELL SOON STEVE G

AtomicDog

Didn't Billy Ashcroft marry his daughter?
Why must I feel like that . . . Why must I chase the 🐈

LIDDLE_TOWERS999

Quote from: AtomicDog on August 27, 2023, 12:19:25 PMDidn't Billy Ashcroft marry his daughter?

YES BILLY WAS HIS SON IN LAW SO THAT IS WHY HE SIGNED HIM FROM WREXHAM.... I TALK TO DOUBLE VISION BILLY ON FACEBOOK SOME TIMES 👍💪👍
GET WELL SOON STEVE G