COST OF LIVING CRISIS

Started by BoroRedKen, August 25, 2023, 11:32:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BoroRedKen

Thought everybody was skint? High fuel costs, Brexit, no cucumbers blah blah blah.

Yet according to MSM there will be major delays at train stations, bus stations, roads and airports as people jet off for the bank holiday.

There are even rumblings of a covid comeback.........

Blott

You must be luckier than me. We have noticed it, our Elec and Gas doubled in 2 years, average shop over by 50% in less than 3 years. A basic new car was about £12k 4 years ago now they start at £17k. Second hand cars through the roof.

Luckily our mortgage is on a 5 year fix. My sins has gone up by nearly £300 a month.

When I started this job 3 years ago a Tesco Meal deal was £1.75, today it's £3.45.

Not pennies to me, definately has had an effect on the way we live.

erimus74

Quote from: Nekder (Kenny) on August 25, 2023, 11:32:23 AMThought everybody was skint? High fuel costs, Brexit, no cucumbers blah blah blah.

Yet according to MSM there will be major delays at train stations, bus stations, roads and airports as people jet off for the bank holiday.

Totally agree Ken, never agreed in it, all parties use this saying to promote their cause

TerryCochranesSocks

Weirdly we have paid less for our electricity supply this year compared to last year, both at home and at the business.
I'm not disputing the increase in charges, just that without any conscious attempt to reduce usage our bills have gone down.

Also, with regards to interest rates, it's about time the savers amongst us had a bit of a tickle!

Northallerton_Boro

Quote from: Nekder (Kenny) on August 25, 2023, 11:32:23 AMThought everybody was skint? High fuel costs, Brexit, no cucumbers blah blah blah.

A covid outbreak would be a way to keep us at home consuming loads of energy to justify further increases.

They can get to fuck by the way

LIDDLE_TOWERS999

Quote from: TerryCochranesSocks on August 25, 2023, 12:33:48 PMWeirdly we have paid less for our electricity supply this year compared to last year, both at home and at the business.
I'm not disputing the increase in charges, just that without any conscious attempt to reduce usage our bills have gone down.

Also, with regards to interest rates, it's about time the savers amongst us had a bit of a tickle!

THE BANKS ARE TEKING THE PISS AND THEY KNOW IT 😡😡😡

THE GOVERMENT SHOULD FORCE THEM TO INCREASE THE RATE FOR THE SAME AS THE BORROWERS 😡😡😡

IM LOSING HAND OVER FIST HERE ON MY SAVINGS... TOLD A CERTAIN BUILDING SOCIETY TO INCREASE THE RATE OR IM MOVING MY PIE & MASH SOMEWHERE ELSE 👍💪👍
GET WELL SOON STEVE G

Steboro

I know quite a few people that have recently got Covid here and my sister in the UK came back from Spain with it last week. 

I could use another 6 months working from home and some more stimulus money to blow on electronics.  🤣

AtomicDog

Quote from: Blott on August 25, 2023, 12:10:33 PMYou must be luckier than me. We have noticed it, our Elec and Gas doubled in 2 years, average shop over by 50% in less than 3 years. A basic new car was about £12k 4 years ago now they start at £17k. Second hand cars through the roof.

Luckily our mortgage is on a 5 year fix. My sins has gone up by nearly £300 a month.

When I started this job 3 years ago a Tesco Meal deal was £1.75, today it's £3.45.

Have you escalated from the lemmo to the nod Guv? . . .

Don't worry I won't mention it down the station

Copy that?
Why must I feel like that . . . Why must I chase the 🐈

Blott

Quote from: AtomicDog on August 25, 2023, 02:19:14 PM
Quote from: Blott on August 25, 2023, 12:10:33 PMYou must be luckier than me. We have noticed it, our Elec and Gas doubled in 2 years, average shop over by 50% in less than 3 years. A basic new car was about £12k 4 years ago now they start at £17k. Second hand cars through the roof.

Copy that?
I have no idea what that means

Redsteel (Moderator)

Covid will be full throttle in 2024, just in time for the next USA Election

TommyDickfingers

Imagine they tried another lockdown after the way we've now learnt that people in high places just took the piss.

I'll guarantee there would be a total disregard by the general public of any measures they tried to force on us again.

Westlane_rightwinger

Quote from: LIDDLE_TOWERS999 (MODERATOR) on August 25, 2023, 12:53:46 PM
Quote from: TerryCochranesSocks on August 25, 2023, 12:33:48 PMWeirdly we have paid less for our electricity supply this year compared to last year, both at home and at the business.

THE BANKS ARE TEKING THE PISS AND THEY KNOW IT 😡😡😡

THE GOVERMENT SHOULD FORCE THEM TO INCREASE THE RATE FOR THE SAME AS THE BORROWERS 😡😡😡

IM LOSING HAND OVER FIST HERE ON MY SAVINGS... TOLD A CERTAIN BUILDING SOCIETY TO INCREASE THE RATE OR IM MOVING MY PIE & MASH SOMEWHERE ELSE 👍💪👍

Hope that's not the Newcarselle Building Society who will always pay 0.7 below the BoE rate- cheeky horse absuers.

Ural Quntz (Moderator)

The two best we've found are Coventry Building Society and Marcos Bank

They both respond very promptly to rate increases and are decent % in the first place

Well actually the rates are shit but not the shittiest if you get me?

BoroRedKen

Quote from: Blott on August 25, 2023, 03:02:57 PM
Quote from: AtomicDog on August 25, 2023, 02:19:14 PM

Copy that?
I have no idea what that means

Do you need subtitles Blotty???  :alf:

Artie Fufkin

Covid rumblings are more than that unfortunately. In my work as coordination and response I'm seeing some ugly uptick in cases, and the numbers I'm seeing are massively under reported without any mandate for testing or reporting tests

Ironically, me and Mrs Fufkin have been off all week after testing positive last weekend. And its been fuckin brutal, made the first time I got it seem like a mild sniffle. I've been vaccinated 4 bloody times as well!

BoroRedKen

Feel better soon Mr and Mrs F!

:bigjack

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: Nekder (Kenny) on August 25, 2023, 04:41:27 PMFeel better soon Mr and Mrs F!

:bigjack

Cheers Kenny, feeling better today. Well, enough to get on the outside of some ale tonight, albeit at home and not me usual Friday slurp with the reprobates in my local

tunstall

Believing in COVID.

Reported.

teamboro

Quote from: Redsteel (moderator) on August 25, 2023, 03:07:52 PMCovid will be full throttle in 2024, just in time for the next USA Election
It's been reported that in the US they are thinking about bringing COVID restrictions back in September/October using it right till the next election as the Democrats can't win the next election without it in place masks are now being brought back in the NHS even though they have been proven not to stop any airborne virus getting through
TEESSIDER and Proud  of the area unlike some and I'm not a Racist

Nosmo-King

Took the Mrs to Bluewater today- pretty packed it was too! Bought her a dress for my bricked wedding coming up in Sunderland! Anyway I got a suit reduced from £398 to £98 and a shirt reduced from £95 to £30.

Bargains there if you hunt them down!

AtomicDog

We don't get all the COVID hype either

When we got one and watched Lassie, the picture was rubbish.

In fact it wasn't much better than our Betamax tapes we use to watch.

Rediffusion are a rip off we won't be going in there again . . .
Why must I feel like that . . . Why must I chase the 🐈

Steboro

Quote from: Redsteel (moderator) on August 25, 2023, 03:07:52 PMCovid will be full throttle in 2024, just in time for the next USA Election

I hope they give the stimulus money again I blew $3200 of free money on DJ equipment. The wife didnt even care

:leo2:

Ural Quntz (Moderator)

Quote from: AtomicDog on August 25, 2023, 07:03:33 PMWe don't get all the COVID hype either

When we got one and watched Lassie, the picture was rubbish.

In fact it wasn't much better than our Betamax tapes we use to watch.

Rediffusion are a rip off we won't be going in there again . . .

erimus74

Boro fans sold out their allocation for todays game & tuesday v Bolton too, deprived area

Blott

Quote from: erimus74 on August 26, 2023, 08:44:07 PMBoro fans sold out their allocation for todays game & tuesday v Bolton too, deprived area
so what? I know quite a few who have given their ticket up because they can't afford it. There are always people who can. How that proves anything is beyond me.

People went to watch the Boro whilst ICI, the steel mills, ship building were closing down.

If it's not effecting you that's fine, but it is hitting people hard.