This day 1989 - A bit of this please

Started by erimus74, August 19, 2023, 10:18:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

erimus74

1st game of the new season following our relegation from the top flight, we find ourselves back in the 2nd division & IMHO, we were unlucky to be relegated from the 1st division, to naive

Hindsight is a good thing but if, as usually is the case & Davenport had chosen Villa over us, with Bruce going & buying seasoned pros, defender, midfielder, wed have comfortably stayed up

Hopefully we mount a serious promotion challenge & go straight back up, Bruce Rioch brought in players he thought would be good enough to see us make a swift return to the top flight

Trevor Putney, registered No595 & Alan Comfort, registered No596 were two excellent signings to hopefully boost our chances of an automatic spot, making their debuts at home to Wolves
This was also Gary Pallister final Boro game at Ayresome Park, until buying a dodgy, knackered CH 10 years later, but thats another story

On a very warm afternoon the match itself was a beauty against newly promoted Wolves & one of the medias favourites to go up, certainly wasnt a sign of how the season was to turn into

Boro won the game 4-2 with a brace from Bernie & a goal apiece from Mark Proctor & Peter Davenport
It took us just under a month to win our next league game, what a crazy season that turned out to be

I loved Alan Comfort, I remember going to a night match with a mate of mine to watch Darlo v Orient, I said wow that Orient winger is excellent, he tore Darlo to shreds, we bought him the following summer, Trevor Putney I liked because of his presence, aggression

Following this game we had a midweek game away to Leeds who had only gave us a limited number of tickets & were onsale after the game, my wife used to go to her mothers every saturday when I went to the game, this saturday I asked her to stand in the queue at Ayresome Park during the game & I will take over once the match is finished, which she did, bless her

Bruce's team

Kevin Poole
Gary Parkinson
Nicky Mohan
Tony Mowbray
Trevor Putney
Gary Pallister
Bernie Slaven
Mark Proctor
Peter Davenport
Paul Kerr - Stuart Ripley
Alan Comfort

Attendance - 21,727

tunstall

Proctor's goal was a belter

I liked Comfort too...that season may have been different if he hadn't have got injured

erimus74