Huddersfield v Boro league cup match thread

Started by erimus74, August 07, 2023, 12:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

erimus74

If we draw a team out of the hat away whete Ive never been to, do I try & get a ticket to go?!

Say Harrogate

How would I get a ticket for games like that, not been away for years

Be stuck on 83 for a while 😢

erimus74

Sunderland are out losing at home to Crewe on penalties
Millwall thumped 4 - 0 at home to Reading

We might have beaten 10 men but we're through to the next round & also beat good auld Boris Neil Warnocks team, which in itself is a rarity

UTMB

erimus74

Michael Carricks 1st cup win as manager 🎂👍

erimus74

Registered players up to now
997th Van Der Berg
998th Glover

Ural Quntz (Moderator)

Quote from: erimus74 on August 08, 2023, 11:06:23 PMRegistered players up to now
997th Van Der Berg
998th Glover

OOH - who'll be 1,000th ?

Exciting...

tunstall

Johnny Thunder

Johnny Thunder

Poor goal to concede that first one.

Two players new to the system getting in a big mix up. Van den Berg should not be dropping that deep asking for the ball and Glover shouldn't be giving him it.

Hopefully they will learn because it does sound like they both dusted themselves down and put in good performances.

What the fuck was Lenihan doing for their second? I know the striker is a big cunt but Lenihan should be dealing with that. Poor from Coulson allowing the cross too. That late in the game he should be clattering him.

Blott

Quote from: Johnny Thunder on August 09, 2023, 10:15:19 AMPoor goal to concede that first one.

Two players new to the system getting in a big mix up. Van den Berg should not be dropping that deep asking for the ball and Glover shouldn't be giving him it.

Hopefully they will learn because it does sound like they both dusted themselves down and put in good performances.

What the fuck was Lenihan doing for their second? I know the striker is a big cunt but Lenihan should be dealing with that. Poor from Coulson allowing the cross too. That late in the game he should be clattering him.
on the bright side we won.

tunstall

Ural Quntz (Moderator)

erimus74

According to my stats Fin Cartright became our 1000th registered 1st team player to make his Boro debut in a competative game, when coming on for Silvera in the 86th minute & at 16 years & 161 days became the 2nd youngest Boro debutant, after Nathan Wood who was 16 years & 72 days

erimus74

Wearing No50, along with Caolan Boyd-Munce, he became the 3rd highest shirt numbered player, after Lewis Wing No51 & Marcus Tavernier No62

erimus74

The stats I have collated over the years are not 100% clubs official list to go to, other people who will be doing something similar to me will have done their stats a different way, I have gone by the rule that if a player leaves the the club, then returns, he will have a new registration, for example Juniho, Colin Cooper, Gary Pallister etc, whereas someone else has only issed the returning player once

If 2 people were asked which set of stats were correct, you would be undecided to which way was correct or not, its just down to the individual I suppose

I dont think there is any fast rule of who is right or not

AtomicDog

Quote from: erimus74 on August 07, 2023, 12:10:49 PMAfter the disappointing opening fixture of the season against Millwall last Saturday we turn our attentions away from the league scene & concentrate on our 1st chance of silverware this season & our cup match against Huddersfield Town, who we meet twice in the space of 11 days, Huddersfield also suffered an opening day defeat when losing 3-1 at newcomers Plymouth Argyle

The cup is a nice distraction from the league but  if we  have any hopes of progressing to the next round, then we really need to improve on our dismal records v Neil Warnock teams, our former Boro boss, the best championship manager there has been,  has had the better of us more often than not

Other than the playoff semi final against Notts County in May 1990, we've not faced Neil Warnocks teams in any other cup competition

All the way from our 1st ever league cup, match when we lost 4-3 at home to Cardiff City on the 3rd of October 1960, up to the  Huddersfield Town game, it  will be our 193rd league cup fixture, scoring 291 goals & conceding 215 goals, wining 84 games along the way, on a downside, we have failed to get past the 1st round 3 of the past 4 seasons, not only Neil Warnocks hold against us, but our recent league cup history too

23/10/1996 - Is the  only time we've played Huddersfield Town the once in the history of the league cup & that was played at the Riverside with the mighty Boro running out  5-1 winners, a season that seen us get to the league cup final

Huddersfield Towns recent league cup record is worse than ours, they have only progressed past the 1st round once in the past 5 seasons, when in 21/22, they got knocked out in round two, losing 4 of those 5 games at home too 

Neil Warnock has spoke about playing fringe players due to his thinking they'll not win the competition, so a glimmer of hope for us to get a win over Neil & a rare progression in the cup

Due to playing Huddersfield in a few weeks I'll leave the stats against our opponents till that game, for now, I'll post a few league cup stats & photos

Boro players have recorded 3 & 4 goals in a league cup game throughout our history

13th September 1961 - Alan Peacock scored our 1st league cup hat trick in a 6-3 win at Tranmere
22nd September 1967 - Big John Hickton recorded our 2nd LC hat trick when the mighty Boro beat Barnsley 4-1 at Ayresome Park

21st September 1993 -  Craig Hignett bagged 4 goals in a 5-1 1st leg home win over Brighton

27th September 1994 - Paul Wilkinson bagged our 3rd LC 2nd leg hat trick in a 4-1 win at Ayresome Park v Scarborough

18th September 1996 -  Fabrizio Ravanelli scored 4 goals in a LC 1st leg at the Riverside Boro beating Hereford  7-0 

26th September 2000 - Hamilton Ricard scored our 4th LC hat trick at away to Macclesfield Town, who play at Moss road, Boro winning the 2nd leg 3-1

9th August 2011 - Marvin Emnes recorded our 5th & final LC hat trick to date when he netted all 3 goals away to Walsallin a 3-0 win

Emnes gives me a bit of hope, all 3, 4 goal hauls were scored in September, Emnes scored his in August!

Made their Boro debuts in all our league cup fixtures

Gordon Jones
Peter Bryan - Different one from the Charltons Champions Peter Brine
Frank Spraggon
David Smith
Phil Boersma
Jamie Pollock
Phil Stamp
Andy Todd
Jamie Moreno
Craig Liddle
Mark Schwarzer
Craig harrison & Steve Baker
Marco Branka
Paul Gascoigne
Juninho
Stuart Parnaby, Chris Benison & Mark Crossley
Craig Cove
Robert Huth
Mohamed Shawky & Graeme Owens
Marvin Emnes & Rhys Williams
Jason Steele
Martin Malaury
George Friend , Grant Leadbitter, Emanuel Ledesma, Mustapha Caroyal & Jonathan Woodgate
Jayson Leutwiller & Stuart Parnaby
James Husband & Bradley Fewster
Janic Wildschut & Jamal Blackman
Jack Stephens
Carlos de Panna
Victor Fischer
Connor Roberts, Marcus Tavernier & Lewis Wing
Andy Longerdan, Harry Chapman, Nathan McGinley, Emnes Mahutovic, StephenWalker, Nathan Wood & Djed Spence   
Biiiali Brahimi
Danny Bath
Ashley Pears & Marc Bola
Grant Hall
Sam Morsy & Sam Folarin
Martin Payero, Lee Peltier, Sol Bamba & Jeremy Sivi
Liam Roberts, Sony Finch, Bryant Bilango, Daniel Dodds & Isaac Fletcher

🐾
🐾
Why must I feel like that . . . Why must I chase the 🐈