Strikers we were allegedly interested in

Started by erimus74, July 30, 2023, 01:28:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

erimus74

From the 70's

David Cross
Ray Hankin
John Tudor

But one players name, when big Jack, was our manager, was linked, I think, for 2 consecutive summers, think somethinng like £30k was quoted back then

Motherwell & Scotlands CF, Willie Pettigrew

markmywords

Rene Houseman. Argentina international

erimus74

Quote from: markmywords on July 30, 2023, 04:05:55 AMRene Houseman. Argentina international

Yes, that was on then off, then to sign after a friendly fixture, then nothing after that game, what was all that about

borope

I remember going to watch the reserves cos we had 2 trialists playing was it Nicolai Toderov and Dwight Blackson ? There was a big crowd as well thats how bad things where in those days getting excited over a couple of trialists we had never heard of.

erimus74

Quote from: borope on July 30, 2023, 06:53:47 AMI remember going to watch the reserves cos we had 2 trialists playing was it Nicolai Toderov and Dwight Blackson ? There was a big crowd as well thats how bad things where in those days getting excited over a couple of trialists we had never heard of.
Derby County, or Leicester & ee lost 3-0, Lennie was manager back then

borope

Quote from: erimus74 on July 30, 2023, 06:56:18 AM
Quote from: borope on July 30, 2023, 06:53:47 AMI remember going to watch the reserves cos we had 2 trialists playing was it Nicolai Toderov and Dwight Blackson ? There was a big crowd as well thats how bad things where in those days getting excited over a couple of trialists we had never heard of.

I remember neither got signed.

erimus74

Quote from: borope on July 30, 2023, 06:57:07 AM

Good memory borope, one reserve game then binned

Simon Coleman & Steve Round in Derbys team & bench

borope

Quote from: erimus74 on July 30, 2023, 07:06:59 AM
Quote from: borope on July 30, 2023, 06:57:07 AM

Good memory borope, one reserve game then binned

Simon Coleman & Steve Round in Derbys team & bench

Glad i got the names right. Nicky Peverall on the bench didnt he become a local DJ or something ?

Mike Peeler

I remember when Ray Hankin signed he had some thighs on him, and looked a right unit, not much came of him in the end

markmywords

Quote from: Mike Peeler on July 30, 2023, 08:34:37 AMI remember when Ray Hankin signed he had some thighs on him, and looked a right unit, not much came of him in the end
Remember his first game. Not very mobile but was excellent with his head. Not always directed at the ball though.😄

erimus74

Ray Hankin got sent iff on his Biro debut along with Mick Kennedy, w ended up losing 4-1 at home to Grimsby

markmywords

Quote from: erimus74 on July 30, 2023, 12:49:27 PMRay Hankin got sent iff on his Biro debut along with Mick Kennedy, w ended up losing 4-1 at home to Grimsby
Good player Mick Kennedy just a pity he played for us when our team was so poor.

Blott

erimus74

Quote from: Blott on July 30, 2023, 05:13:10 PMWho was the I spud we did buy?

Thats narrowing down a bit Blotty 🤔😉

Redsteel (Moderator)

Christian Vieri. Rumour was, we were in for him and he was keen to come, but we got relegated. Would have been some signing that, he was one of the best strikers in the world at the time.

RiversideRifle

Quote from: Redsteel (moderator) on July 30, 2023, 05:38:49 PMChristian Vieri. Rumour was, we were in for him and he was keen to come, but we got relegated. Would have been some signing that, he was one of the best strikers in the world at the time.

Remember it well but I didn't know vieri was one. Remember it being batistuta and roberto Carlos if we'd stayed up. I was only 6 or 7 mind
UTB

Blott

Quote from: erimus74 on July 30, 2023, 05:14:08 PM

tubby lad, I think ginger hair, played quite a few games. We bought him instead of Cross

borope

Quote from: Blott on July 30, 2023, 05:45:11 PM
Quote from: erimus74 on July 30, 2023, 05:14:08 PM

tubby lad, I think ginger hair, played quite a few games. We bought him instead of Cross

Billy Ashcroft ?  :ray:

Redsteel (Moderator)

Quote from: RiversideRifle on July 30, 2023, 05:40:16 PM
Quote from: Redsteel (moderator) on July 30, 2023, 05:38:49 PMChristian Vieri. Rumour was, we were in for him and he was keen to come, but we got relegated. Would have been some signing that, he was one of the best strikers in the world at the time.

Remember it well but I didn't know vieri was one. Remember it being batistuta and roberto Carlos if we'd stayed up. I was only 6 or 7 mind

Not heard Batistuta one, was Vieri and Carlos as I remember. Batistuta was some player as well mind. We aren't having those days again unless we get a mega rich owner. Great what Gibbo did back then, but it was always going to catch up with him the spending during that time. Don't think we ever recovered from it to be honest.

RiversideRifle

Quote from: Redsteel (moderator) on July 30, 2023, 05:53:34 PM

Not heard Batistuta one, was Vieri and Carlos as I remember. Batistuta was some player as well mind. We aren't having those days again unless we get a mega rich owner. Great what Gibbo did back then, but it was always going to catch up with him the spending during that time. Don't think we ever recovered from it to be honest.

It hit us in 2006. We had to win the uefa really. We cut our cloth then the housing crash happened and gibbo converted our debt to equity if I remember right
UTB

Redsteel (Moderator)

Quote from: RiversideRifle on July 30, 2023, 05:55:04 PM

It hit us in 2006. We had to win the uefa really. We cut our cloth then the housing crash happened and gibbo converted our debt to equity if I remember right

Yup we were skint  :charles:

Whether we like it or not, we won't see them days again until there is a serious backer. I'm happy for us to be in the prem, being a team whose priority is to stay up. The championship sucks arse, there is only one place to be.

RiversideRifle

Quote from: Redsteel (moderator) on July 30, 2023, 06:09:43 PM
Quote from: RiversideRifle on July 30, 2023, 05:55:04 PM

Yup we were skint  :charles:

Whether we like it or not, we won't see them days again until there is a serious backer. I'm happy for us to be in the prem, being a team whose priority is to stay up. The championship sucks arse, there is only one place to be.

The finance is different now. We are lucky to have seen the Juninho days like. Bloke was a superstar
UTB

Blott

It's driving me nuts now, I have been through every player and can't remember his name.

A bit like Archie Stevens.

RiversideRifle

Quote from: Blott on July 30, 2023, 06:20:54 PMIt's driving me nuts now, I have been through every player and can't remember his name.

A bit like Archie Stevens.

Ritchie Strevens?
UTB