Bradford Tonight

Started by Smoggers51, July 26, 2023, 10:13:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smoggers51

Off to Bradford tonight for the friendly.Now hopefully we might start to get a feeling for Carricks preferred starting 11 in these next 2 games.Most of the squad have had runs out now and I reckon if not tonight maybe Saturday we should start to see what could be the line up for Millwall opener.Auxerre game should be a cracker. Looking forward to this season.UTB!!!

Mike Peeler

I don't think we will be far off our first eleven tonight that takes on Millwall.

The Auxerra game will be the nailed-on first eleven come Millwall, maybe any new signings brought in over the next week or two will be on the bench.

You would have to think it's shit or bust for Howson and Akpom if they don't make tonight's game then it will be bench at best for them in the Auxerra and Millwall games. So Carrick might still have a tinker with tonight's starting eleven.

Smoggers51

You are right Mike.We either have to nail Howson and Akpom down to settle not only the team but themselves.In a strange way I hope Akpom is carrying a knock and not being a Prima donna.We need that team spirit that we had once Carrick settled the lads down last season.

Mike Peeler

If I was a betting man Smoggy and I am - I think he will be gone if the right offer/club comes in, it's whether that club comes in for him or not. And I think that's why it's all quiet from both parties. Due him may be staying if nothing happens and he doesn't want to lose his 'rep' with Boro supporters so the injury is a smokescreen even if he does have a genuine injury.

So for me, the 'prima donna' bit you mention is already in play is my take on it all.

Smoggers51

Unfortunately I think you are right Mike.Its certainly looking as though if the offer is right he will be gone.Deep down a little part of me is hoping he will stay but as we have seen in the past once a players head has been turned they seem to lose either form or their hearts not in it.We need for this season a settled and committed squad who will fight and play for the club.

erimus74

Quote from: Smoggers51 on July 26, 2023, 10:13:57 AMOff to Bradford tonight for the friendly.Now hopefully we might start to get a feeling for Carricks preferred starting 11 in these next 2 games.Most of the squad have had runs out now and I reckon if not tonight maybe Saturday we should start to see what could be the line up for Millwall opener.Auxerre game should be a cracker. Looking forward to this season.UTB!!!

Safe journey Smoggers51, always think back to our exciting playoff matches when facing Bradford

2 big name players who played for Bradford during those PO's & had also played for the Boro
John Hendrie
Mick Kennedy RIP

erimus74

Quote from: Mike Peeler on July 26, 2023, 10:57:05 AMIf I was a betting man Smoggy and I am - I think he will be gone if the right offer/club comes in, it's whether that club comes in for him or not. And I think that's why it's all quiet from both parties. Due him may be staying if nothing happens and he doesn't want to lose his 'rep' with Boro supporters so the injury is a smokescreen even if he does have a genuine injury.

So for me, the 'prima donna' bit you mention is already in play is my take on it all.

Yes I was always confident he would be staying, even sign a new improved contract, but as mentioned, you dont know what his agent has been saying, unfortunately, as much as I want him to stay, if not committed I hope he's gone before the Millwall game

Ural Quntz (Moderator)

He was shite in the last several games anyway.

Coventry certainly sussed how to play him

erimus74

Quote from: Ural Quntz (Moderator) on July 26, 2023, 12:25:56 PMHe was shite in the last several games anyway.

He missed two big chances in the away leg which a few weeks earlier would have bagged a brace no problem, knew at the final whistle we'd blown our chance of progression

In the home leg the whole team were below par, not just Chuba, who was constantly fouled from the 1st minute, with no protection from the awful ref on the night

TommyDickfingers

Quote from: Smoggers51 on July 26, 2023, 10:45:48 AMYou are right Mike.We either have to nail Howson and Akpom down to settle not only the team but themselves.In a strange way I hope Akpom is carrying a knock and not being a Prima donna.We need that team spirit that we had once Carrick settled the lads down last season.

Howson signed a new contract ?

https://www.mfc.co.uk/news/2023/march/28/Jonny-Howson-Signs-New-Contract/

Smoggers51

Cheers Erimus.Always liked Hendrie ,he always gave everything and if I remember rightly didn't he score the final game at Awesome Park ?

Smoggers51

I must apologise Tommy ,don't know how I missed that 😱I'm pleased about that 👍

TommyDickfingers

Quote from: Smoggers51 on July 26, 2023, 01:56:45 PMI must apologise Tommy ,don't know how I missed that 😱I'm pleased about that 👍

I frantically googled 'Howson new contract'

:carrick5:

Redsteel (Moderator)

Quote from: Ural Quntz (Moderator) on July 26, 2023, 12:25:56 PMHe was shite in the last several games anyway.

Boot fuck out of him, if that is having him sussed. We lost our form due to when we lost Ramsey, compounded with Howson being out towards the end also. Taking the foot off the gas once we secured the playoffs didn't help either.

BoroRedKen

I agree with Steely.

Ramsey and Howson missing was the problem. We looked, at times, like "old Boro". Sideways and backwards.

I hope Mcgree kicks on this season. I rate the lad.

Chuba needs reminding of being shipped out on loan when he could not hit a cows backside etc and the club giving him a chance. Touch of the Spence about all this with him i reckon.

And what does Sol Brynn have to do? Wasting time and wages on "nobodies" in goal. He gets player of the season at loan clubs! I wont blame the lad if he starts looking elsewhere from the start of next season.

Mike Peeler

Quote from: erimus74 on July 26, 2023, 12:20:37 PM
Quote from: Smoggers51 on July 26, 2023, 10:13:57 AMOff to Bradford tonight for the friendly.Now hopefully we might start to get a feeling for Carricks preferred starting 11 in these next 2 games.Most of the squad have had runs out now and I reckon if not tonight maybe Saturday we should start to see what could be the line up for Millwall opener.Auxerre game should be a cracker. Looking forward to this season.UTB!!!

Safe journey Smoggers51, always think back to our exciting playoff matches when facing Bradford

2 big name players who played for Bradford during those PO's & had also played for the Boro
John Hendrie
Mick Kennedy RIP

I remember those games with Bradford and others around that time with them John Hendrie and Brett Ormanroid (sp) a big lanky lad both had our number and caused us no end of problems games against them

I also remember going to Valley Parade not long after the fire and some of the songs getting sung and flung at the Bradford supporters/players about the fire. Where disgusting to say the least and it was the majority and not the minority of the Boro away support that sang them. It was how it was back then, and yes I joined in as well as a young lad.

Imagine the 'woke' brigade of today having a stint back then for a game or two. FFS, it would be funny but not so funny if you know what I mean. It would certainly be an eye-opener for some of the 'woke darling' bastards of today from OTR. :rav:

erimus74

Quote from: Mike Peeler on July 26, 2023, 02:58:54 PM

John Hendrie
Mick Kennedy RIP

I remember those games with Bradford and others around that time with them John Hendrie and Brett Ormanroid (sp) a big lanky lad both had our number and caused us no end of problems games against them

I also remember going to Valley Parade not long after the fire and some of the songs getting sung and flung at the Bradford supporters/players about the fire. Where disgusting to say the least and it was the majority and not the minority of the Boro away support that sang them. It was how it was back then, and yes I joined in as well as a young lad.

Imagine the 'woke' brigade of today having a stint back then for a game or two. FFS, it would be funny but not so funny if you know what I mean. It would certainly be an eye-opener for some of the 'woke darling' bastards of today from OTR. :rav:

I was at that game too, night match, think it was at Leeds road, Huddersfield ground, we lost 1-0

Westlane_rightwinger

Quote from: erimus74 on July 26, 2023, 12:30:37 PM

He missed two big chances in the away leg which a few weeks earlier would have bagged a brace no problem, knew at the final whistle we'd blown our chance of progression

In the home leg the whole team were below par, not just Chuba, who was constantly fouled from the 1st minute, with no protection from the awful ref on the night

He was regularly fouled in both games and inexplicably picked up a yellow in the first game. Refs were shite in both games. Cov's game was all about breaking up our play fair means or foul. We were too soft!

borope

Quote from: erimus74 on July 26, 2023, 03:04:39 PM
Quote from: Mike Peeler on July 26, 2023, 02:58:54 PM

John Hendrie
Mick Kennedy RIP

I was at that game too, night match, think it was at Leeds road, Huddersfield ground, we lost 1-0

Yeh me too was at Leeds road. Shameful looking back but we where young lads and thought we where being clever.

LIDDLE_TOWERS999

AKPOM WON'T BE GOING  NO WHERE AS NO PREM CLUB IS GOING TO BUY HIM AND FOREIGN CLUBS WHO MIGHT WANT HIM CANNOT AFFORD 15 MILL 🙄

I DO HOW EVER THINK WE HAVE SEEN THE BEST OF HIM AND IF HE SCORES MORE THAN 10 THIS SEASON WELL I'LL BE FUCKING SURPRISED 🙄
GET WELL SOON STEVE G

borope

Weve hardly had a striker score 10 a season never mind 29. Will be hard to replace.

Mike Peeler

If he stays (Akpom) I don't think we will get the same from him and like you say 10-15 goals this season off him would be a would result. I've heard France might be where he is heading and someone OTR also mentioned it not so long ago - so they might be something in it