Boro headlines July 1977

Started by erimus74, July 22, 2023, 07:49:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

erimus74

John Neals debut season as manager

UTMB

John Trebor

Erimus, I have a very distinct memory of a pre-season Gazette article and wondered if you maybe had a copy?

It was about Stuart Boam being our free kick secret weapon and had a picture of him stood in front of a pretend defensive wall of cutout silhouettes.

I thought it was 1979 but that seems unlikely as we sold him that summer.

I know its an odd one but for some reason it really stuck in my head.

erimus74

Quote from: John Trebor on July 23, 2023, 12:22:05 AMErimus, I have a very distinct memory of a pre-season Gazette article and wondered if you maybe had a copy?

It was about Stuart Boam being our free kick secret weapon and had a picture of him stood in front of a pretend defensive wall of cutout silhouettes.

I thought it was 1979 but that seems unlikely as we sold him that summer.

I know its an odd one but for some reason it really stuck in my head.

The only one I can recall, is Stuey Boam stood in front of a wall, with Graeme Souness lining up to take a free kick v Ipswich, which he scored from, nightmatch at AP, December 1974

erimus74

@John Trebor, When I find the picture I will post it on here

John Trebor

Quote from: erimus74 on July 23, 2023, 06:23:18 AM@John Trebor, When I find the picture I will post it on here
👍 Thanks Erimus. All the old photos are good to see but I'm pretty sure the one I am thinking of was a pre-season training ground pic.

erimus74

Quote from: John Trebor on July 23, 2023, 10:58:02 AM
Quote from: erimus74 on July 23, 2023, 06:23:18 AM@John Trebor, When I find the picture I will post it on here
👍 Thanks Erimus. All the old photos are good to see but I'm pretty sure the one I am thinking of was a pre-season training ground pic.

Ah ok, not sure I have that one

Blott

I was chatting to Boamy years ago. He told me in is whole career he only scored 2 goals from corners.

erimus74

Quote from: Blott on July 23, 2023, 11:24:10 AMI was chatting to Boamy years ago. He told me in is whole career he only scored 2 goals from corners.

Obviously he knows but I find that hard to believe but then again he only scored 16 goals for us, think one of the goals he scored from a corner was Forest at home, at the holgate end, December 1973, we never beat Forest again in any competition till 1999

Blott

Quote from: erimus74 on July 23, 2023, 11:37:42 AM
Quote from: Blott on July 23, 2023, 11:24:10 AMI was chatting to Boamy years ago. He told me in is whole career he only scored 2 goals from corners.

Obviously he knows but I find that hard to believe but then again he only scored 16 goals for us, think one of the goals he scored from a corner was Forest at home, at the holgate end, December 1973, we never beat Forest again in any competition till 1999
I found it hard to believe too. He's not so well now.

erimus74

Quote from: Blott on July 23, 2023, 11:40:49 AM
Quote from: erimus74 on July 23, 2023, 11:37:42 AM

I found it hard to believe too. He's not so well now.

Yea sad, I went to a former players reunion a few years back & he was talking to the room via a videlink or something similar, he didnt look to well

My favourite Boro captain & CH

erimus74

Seen Stuey Boam chip Jim Platt from 25 yards out at the holgate end against Leicester, we lost 1-0