Boxing

Started by Poolielad, July 20, 2023, 05:46:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poolielad

Who was the first boxer that made you become a boxing fan??

BoroRedKen

Micheal Weaver WBA heavyweight champ 1980-'82. Watched him on a tiny b+w tele in my bedroom aged 10/11.

Mike Peeler

John Conteh was always on sports night. He is the first big name apart from Ali of course that i can remember. Marvin Hagler was there or there abouts, I liked him as well. fighting Alan Minter i think

BoroRedKen

Quote from: Mike Peeler on July 20, 2023, 06:10:44 PMJohn Conteh was always on sports night. He is the first big name apart from Ali of course that i can remember. Marvin Hagler was there or there abouts, I liked him as well. fighting Alan Minter i think

The glory days of middleweight boxing imho.

Blott

Rocky Marciano I never watched him but my dad never shut up about him

teamboro

Quote from: Mike Peeler on July 20, 2023, 06:10:44 PMJohn Conteh was always on sports night. He is the first big name apart from Ali of course that i can remember. Marvin Hagler was there or there abouts, I liked him as well. fighting Alan Minter i think
That's when I started taking notice as well
TEESSIDER and Proud  of the area unlike some and I'm not a Racist

AtomicDog

Smokin' Joe
Why must I feel like that . . . Why must I chase the 🐈

Johnny Thunder

Around that time for me too. I remember watching fights with the old man but most of them I can't remember who it was. The one that does stick in my memory was Minter beating Antuofermo. If memory serves me it was a rematch after a dodgy split decision.

Northallerton_Boro

My Dad used to have me watching video's of Sugar Ray Leonard, Tommy Hearns, Robert Duran and Marvin Hagler - Still love watching them now, what an era.

I remember as a kid watching Eubank (albeit backend of his career), Bruno and id say Prince Naseem was the first that i really followed/understood it better.

Mike Peeler

Quote from: Northallerton_Boro on July 21, 2023, 09:37:01 AMMy Dad used to have me watching video's of Sugar Ray Leonard, Tommy Hearns, Robert Duran and Marvin Hagler - Still love watching them now, what an era.

I remember as a kid watching Eubank (albeit backend of his career), Bruno and id say Prince Naseem was the first that i really followed/understood it better.

Some top fighters you mention there.

I also liked the Eubank, Benn, and Collis era they were three that could do it. I remember a local lad from Boro, John Carr mixed it with him. That's a feather in his cap so he was obviously of a decent standard.

Northallerton_Boro

Quote from: Mike Peeler on July 21, 2023, 09:50:55 AM
Quote from: Northallerton_Boro on July 21, 2023, 09:37:01 AMMy Dad used to have me watching video's of Sugar Ray Leonard, Tommy Hearns, Robert Duran and Marvin Hagler - Still love watching them now, what an era.

I also liked the Eubank, Benn, and Collis era they were three that could do it. I remember a local lad from Boro, John Carr mixed it with him. That's a feather in his cap so he was obviously of a decent standard.

Great fights.

When the best wanted to fight the best and even the loser came out with credit because they where absolute wars

AtomicDog

Quote from: Mike Peeler on July 21, 2023, 09:50:55 AM

Cornelius Carr, WBF Champion trained by Marty Turner (RIP)

Enjoy:
Remember him on the pitch before a game at the Riverside showing his belt
💪💪💪
UTFB

Johnny Thunder

Collins was nowhere near the class of Eubank, Benn and Watson.
He just came along at the right time when they were on their way out.
Any of them in their prime would have fuckin levelled Collins.
I remember watching John Carr go the distance with Collins too.

I'll also mention the night Benn beat Gerald Mcclellan. That was the most savage fight I can remember watching. Mcclellan was a heavy favourite but Benn produced the gutsiest performance I've ever seen from a brit boxer. It was absolutely tragic what happened to Mcclellan that night.

Smoggers51

I grew up in the era of great Heavyweight boxers Ali.Frazier,Liston  and others,but I liked Charlie Magri .Saldivar and Howard Winstone.For featherweights and fly weights the packed some punches.

Poolielad

John and George Feeney got me into it...... George was the better of the two brothers, he fought Ray Boom Boom Mancini, and beat him in most peoples eyes, but obviously never got the decision.

Johnny Thunder

I remember Charlie Magri too Smoggers.

Not the greatest but full of courage.

TerryCochranesSocks

Alan Minter and Dave "Boy" Green.

tunstall

Boxing is shite

Unless it's topless bewers

Johnny Thunder

Poolielad

Some half and I mean half decent boxers of the 80s I used to watch: (british)

Magri
Minter
Conteh
Sibson
McGuigan
Honeyghan
Bruno
Laing
Jones

Plenty more, they just a few I can remember..

Mike Peeler

Yes, as mentioned Barry McGuigan was regular on tv back then and was a little tough nut who could box

Poolielad

When boxers were boxer and only fought for the one belt...Not all these made up shitty belts!!

Mike Peeler

Jim Watt (the jock) is another decent UK fighter. Roberto Duran another back in the day boxing legend

AtomicDog

Quote from: Poolielad on July 21, 2023, 10:26:01 AMJohn and George Feeney got me into it...... George was the better of the two brothers, he fought Ray Boom Boom Mancini, and beat him in most peoples eyes, but obviously never got the decision.
I worked on a site at Liverpool st in London, year's ago, what they were on. Always scrapping when they were p*ssed up  :mick:
If you ever go to the Lonsdale shop off carnaby st down there, if it's still there there's loads of boxers promo photos on the wall, them two are on it, alongside some greats too.
Remember seeing it when I was in there

"The fighting Feeney's"

In every sense  :rudi:

Poolielad

Quote from: AtomicDog on July 21, 2023, 01:01:23 PM
Quote from: Poolielad on July 21, 2023, 10:26:01 AMJohn and George Feeney got me into it...... George was the better of the two brothers, he fought Ray Boom Boom Mancini, and beat him in most peoples eyes, but obviously never got the decision.
I worked on a site at Liverpool st in London, year's ago, what they were on. Always scrapping when they were p*ssed up  :mick:
If you ever go to the Lonsdale shop off carnaby st down there, if it's still there there's loads of boxers promo photos on the wall, them two are on it, alongside some greats too.
Remember seeing it when I was in there

"The fighting Feeney's"

In every sense  :rudi:
Georges ex mrs was harder than both of them put together..lol,She definetly ruled the roost in their house!! John went loopy in the end, ended up living on the streets...