Paul Sykes

Started by Steboro, July 18, 2023, 06:42:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Peeler

Quote from: AtomicDog on July 19, 2023, 12:47:42 PMHouse of Fraser always had nice clobber in.

Only place round here to stock Burberry & Aquascutum in the day.

Plus Fiorucci, Dior, Lacoste, Best Company, Lois, Givenchy Etc

Some good labels there.

If memory serves me right I used to get my Farrah from there, My first designer 'duds' as I called them back then was when I was at school. Spencers they were called then, now I can't think where the old last got them from I just told her to get me some spencers for school during the summer hem from. Black with pleats at the top and tapered at the bottom with a white 'Spencers' label on the back pocket.

After that, it was all beige chinos with a dress shirt for going out in.

AtomicDog

Quote from: Mike Peeler on July 19, 2023, 12:59:07 PM
Quote from: AtomicDog on July 19, 2023, 12:47:42 PMHouse of Fraser always had nice clobber in.

Only place round here to stock Burberry & Aquascutum in the day.

Plus Fiorucci, Dior, Lacoste, Best Company, Lois, Givenchy Etc

Some good labels there.

If memory serves me right I used to get my Farrah from there
, My first designer 'duds' as I called them back then was when I was at school. Spencers they were called then, now I can't think where the old last got them from I just told her to get me some spencers for school during the summer hem from. Black with pleats at the top and tapered at the bottom with a white 'Spencers' label on the back pocket.

After that, it was all beige chinos with a dress shirt for going out in.

Yeah it does, Me Mam got mine what I wore for school from there and me Fred Perry's

Denim United (That sold Spencers) use to be opposite Middlesbrough music, same side the café was on opp Gilkes St bath's, on the corner.

Bit hit on the Northern Soul scene them (Spencers), mad flared one's, with the crown back pockets.

Remember saving up for My Forest Hill's out of Bill Gates, Dundas Arcade, took ages I'll never forget the price £34:99. Took about another 6 months to save for some Gold Borg Elites (Imagine what a pair of either of them would be worth now) :mick:

Remember buying a cashmere Pringle cardigan from Mike Nutter (Cream FFS, with a blue stripe accross) first time I wore it out stopped to talk to someone in a Boozer, might have been the shakey one of the Lad's behind Me walked into me, fag in his mouth  :rav: 
I could have cried . . . Gets even better,

Mam say's "don't worry son it'll wash out"

Gets it back, as thick as a 6mm wetsuit . . .  Wouldn't have f***ing fit Action Man 
cost me £80!!

:unbelievable:
Why must I feel like that . . . Why must I chase the 🐈

Mike Peeler

Apart from footie boots, I was a Nike lad early on (when at school) trainer-wise apart from wearing Adidas samba for school. It wasn't until I started grafting did I switch to Addidas full-time, and that's all I tend to wear now, bar a pair of red Puma Munster that I got a year or so ago I just fancied them i when saw  them.

It's funny you should mention the Borg elite the daddy trainers of the terraces back then, I never had any, out of my league then. I was however looking at them on the 80s casual site going for £169 a pair now, I am tempted. :christian:

It will come with some earache of our lass if I do, spending that much on trainers at my age. Clothes she sort of buys into but not having a load of trainers still in good nick and then buying more, especially when they top a ton 50 + like the gold Borg elite  :rav:

fukyu

I bought a paisley mandarin collar shirt when I was in carnaby st, wore it for my 21st birthday up town, loads commenting on it asking were I got it from (   you couldn't get them round here), got a big piece ripped out of it in a fight after the nightclub kicked out, I got one night out of it. :unbelievable:

BoroRedKen

Quote from: fukyu on July 19, 2023, 03:46:26 PMI bought a paisley mandarin collar shirt when I was in carnaby st, wore it for my 21st birthday up town, loads commenting on it asking were I got it from (   you couldn't get them round here), got a big piece ripped out of it in a fight after the nightclub kicked out, I got one night out of it. :unbelievable:

I remember paying good money for a Sonnetti Jacket in my "smoking" days. 1st night out wearing it, off my nut and a massive rockfall just left the shoulders of it on me.

BoroRedKen

Quote from: fukyu on July 19, 2023, 03:46:26 PMI bought a paisley mandarin collar shirt when I was in carnaby st, wore it for my 21st birthday up town, loads commenting on it asking were I got it from (   you couldn't get them round here), got a big piece ripped out of it in a fight after the nightclub kicked out, I got one night out of it. :unbelievable:

Like This? No cheating but guess what that shirt costs now?

AtomicDog

Quote from: Mike Peeler on July 19, 2023, 03:20:24 PMApart from footie boots, I was a Nike lad early on (when at school) trainer-wise apart from wearing Adidas samba for school. It wasn't until I started grafting did I switch to Addidas full-time, and that's all I tend to wear now, bar a pair of red Puma Munster that I got a year or so ago I just fancied them i when saw  them.

It's funny you should mention the Borg elite the daddy trainers of the terraces back then, I never had any, out of my league then. I was however looking at them on the 80s casual site going for £169 a pair now, I am tempted. :christian:

It will come with some earache of our lass if I do, spending that much on trainers at my age. Clothes she sort of buys into but not having a load of trainers still in good nick and then buying more, especially when they top a ton 50 + like the gold Borg elite  :rav:
They're rubbish now mate, even the kangaroo skin one's, which they'll be.
I bought a pair in London about 10 year's ago (Blue stripe) when they got reissued, design and quality not a patch on the originals. Like a lot of the reissue Adidas, should've kept making them in Germany.

Got some Grand Slam the other year, think they were about £80, again not a patch on the originals.
I got some Adidas London (city series) when Me and Mrs D were in Manchester a few years back, think we'd been to see the Stone Roses, got em in the arndale. They go for quite a bit on eBay now.
Stuart's is a good site for clobber we use to go to the shop in shepherds bush, when we were living down there. Think Peter Hooton goes in the shop in that casuals thing he narrates?
Some class shop's in London and Manchester like lillywhites was always a favourite in London. Use to get some good deals in the sales at Harrods too, cheap as chips some of it.
Remember getting a Best Company T-shirt for about £15, been reduced from £100  . . . I darent even say how long ago that was  :mick:

Oh and I had Nike Wimbledon and Bruin Leather when I was young  :rudi:

Same again with the reissue one's the quality is sh*t. :rav:

Reidydog

It astounds me how the legend of these people can spread so far.  While stationed in Germany during the Duffy era I had lads from all over the British Isles, on finding out I was from Middlesbrough ask about Lee Duffy.  I only ever encountered his once. Gave him the 'Boro Nod' as he walked past in Havana one night, got a "Now then" in return.  I blame the Gazette and it's quarterly articles on him.  Make him out to be a Robin Hood kind of figure which the young uns in turn hero worship.

fukyu

Quote from: Nekder (Kenny) on July 19, 2023, 03:52:36 PM
Quote from: fukyu on July 19, 2023, 03:46:26 PMI bought a paisley mandarin collar shirt when I was in carnaby st, wore it for my 21st birthday up town, loads commenting on it asking were I got it from (  you couldn't get them round here), got a big piece ripped out of it in a fight after the nightclub kicked out, I got one night out of it. :unbelievable:

More like this,wore it with powder blue peg  trousers and suede slip on pointy toe'd shoes, :christian:

AtomicDog

Quote from: Reidydog on July 19, 2023, 09:13:43 PMIt astounds me how the legend of these people can spread so far.  While stationed in Germany during the Duffy era I had lads from all over the British Isles, on finding out I was from Middlesbrough ask about Lee Duffy.  I only ever encountered his once. Gave him the 'Boro Nod' as he walked past in Havana one night, got a "Now then" in return.  I blame the Gazette and it's quarterly articles on him.  Make him out to be a Robin Hood kind of figure which the young uns in turn hero worship.
That's what I was getting at earlier I remember Him when he worked on the door in Blaises knocking people out for nowt, no need for it.
Kirk Garland was another one for it.
Look how the both ended up.
It's like when they turn to God, you know salvation. Forget about all the misery they've caused people, loved ones, family it's laughable.
Don't get me wrong I know people who've done it, come out of the other side,  been messed up on hard drug's. The nasty and the stone's take no prisoners.
Same as seen turm once sound Lad's into absolute c***s, look how Kenny Young ended up?
With the Duffy thing and working away a lot you get asked it all the time with him being from the area, suppose a bit like the Lenny McLean thing with Londoner's, people seem to have a morbid fascination with these type of 'characters'
Since the internet though it's more about Big Bri, some Scousers I've worked with keep going on about his channel some funny stuff they come out with like.
Watch the macntyre thing on YouTube about him and read the comments and you'll see what I mean.

AtomicDog

Quote from: fukyu on July 19, 2023, 10:04:55 PM
Quote from: Nekder (Kenny) on July 19, 2023, 03:52:36 PM
Quote from: fukyu on July 19, 2023, 03:46:26 PMI bought a paisley mandarin collar shirt when I was in carnaby st, wore it for my 21st birthday up town, loads commenting on it asking were I got it from (  you couldn't get them round here), got a big piece ripped out of it in a fight after the nightclub kicked out, I got one night out of it. :unbelievable:

More like this,wore it with powder blue peg  trousers and suede slip on pointy toe'd shoes, :christian:

Were you a Goth? . . .

fukyu

AtomicDog

Quote from: fukyu on July 19, 2023, 10:30:34 PMNaw,a cool cunt. :cloughy:
Rocking the Ray Manzarek look . . . Did you take psychedelic drugs at the time  :pd:

fukyu

Quote from: AtomicDog on July 19, 2023, 10:41:32 PM
Quote from: fukyu on July 19, 2023, 10:30:34 PMNaw,a cool cunt. :cloughy:
Rocking the Ray Manzarek look . . . Did you take psychedelic drugs at the time  :pd:
No just lager.

Steboro

Adidas Gazelle & Campus is just about all I buy now. 

Bought a pair of Air Max 90s around Christmas time and they are absolutely nothing like back in the day.  Most uncomfortable trainers ever they simply dont flex at all.  Wore them about 3 times and relegated them to the wardrobe.

The Mrs bought me some Converse a few years back (not the basketball boot kind)  and they looked ok but very slim fitting.  I let my dog chew on them so I didn't have to wear them again.

:morgan:

BoroRedKen

Quote from: Reidydog on July 19, 2023, 09:13:43 PMIt astounds me how the legend of these people can spread so far.  While stationed in Germany during the Duffy era I had lads from all over the British Isles, on finding out I was from Middlesbrough ask about Lee Duffy.  I only ever encountered his once. Gave him the 'Boro Nod' as he walked past in Havana one night, got a "Now then" in return.  I blame the Gazette and it's quarterly articles on him.  Make him out to be a Robin Hood kind of figure which the young uns in turn hero worship.

I, like a few others, grew up in the "Duffy Era". Had no chance of avoiding him sometimes and although i always got the "now then" you never felt comfortable when he was around. A few of his hangers on were like Jackdaw (Groutys skinny runner in Porridge).
You knew you could slap them daft on their own but 1 of Duffys faults was he saw them as "mates" and he looked after his "mates".

Duffy was a bully. The worst kind of bully that you had no chance against. Because people can say what they want about him but the bloke was big and lethal. Some of the damage i have seen him cause is sickening and there are some people still living with the damage.

Is it a measure of your upbringing? Some people talk about people like Duffy but have never been in the same blues as him, same pubs and same streets.
The rest of us "oiks" had no choice sometimes.
Well we did have a choice. It was staying in on a weekend or never letting on if you got a decent bet up (no internet "private" betting in them days!).

The ending is never wrote about. The "glamour", the Xr3i's, the drugs, the money (he spent it as quick as he "earned" it) is the attraction to people.
The death is never promoted.
Maybe that would stop this fascination in all this gangster book crap.

BoroRedKen

And when this tune kicked in pubs and clubs emptied quicker than a Harry Gallagher poetry slam......

BoroRedKen

I always play this song to cleanse my soul after listening to Whole Of The Moon.

Mike Peeler

Quote from: Nekder (Kenny) on July 20, 2023, 06:28:59 AMAnd when this tune kicked in pubs and clubs emptied quicker than a Harry Gallagher poetry slam......

Duffy's song or not, that's a quality song for me and, always will be. I hate giving Boyle publicity but them young lads in the pub who sang it, and he played hes bit in it going viral with the Duffy book connection also did a great version of it.

fukyu

Never moved in those circles never wanted to,the cemetery's full of violent men,all brawn no brain fuck em,,nature keeps score.

erimus74

Quote from: Nekder (Kenny) on July 20, 2023, 06:28:59 AMAnd when this tune kicked in pubs and clubs emptied quicker than a Harry Gallagher poetry slam......

😂

Cracking song 👍

BoroRedKen

Quote from: fukyu on July 20, 2023, 08:32:34 AMNever moved in those circles never wanted to,the cemetery's full of violent men,all brawn no brain fuck em,,nature keeps score.

Cant argue with that Coulbs.  :bigjack

ccole

Keep those sorts of people at arm's length. Let them live in their short, infamous world. Lonely and broke by 50, if not dead.

Not a bad rendition of the tune (wasn't duffy's a tekno version? )

Northallerton_Boro

Quote from: Nekder (Kenny) on July 20, 2023, 06:22:58 AM

I, like a few others, grew up in the "Duffy Era". Had no chance of avoiding him sometimes and although i always got the "now then" you never felt comfortable when he was around. A few of his hangers on were like Jackdaw (Groutys skinny runner in Porridge).
You knew you could slap them daft on their own but 1 of Duffys faults was he saw them as "mates" and he looked after his "mates".

Duffy was a bully. The worst kind of bully that you had no chance against. Because people can say what they want about him but the bloke was big and lethal. Some of the damage i have seen him cause is sickening and there are some people still living with the damage.

Is it a measure of your upbringing? Some people talk about people like Duffy but have never been in the same blues as him, same pubs and same streets.
The rest of us "oiks" had no choice sometimes.
Well we did have a choice. It was staying in on a weekend or never letting on if you got a decent bet up (no internet "private" betting in them days!).

The ending is never wrote about. The "glamour", the Xr3i's, the drugs, the money (he spent it as quick as he "earned" it) is the attraction to people.
The death is never promoted.
Maybe that would stop this fascination in all this gangster book crap.

I think its a culture thing, particularly in working class areas - like Teesside. Just look at Football Hooligans, for so many young lads nowadays, its something so glamourous, they buy the gear, watch the films and do everything but have a fight because you cant get near each other nowadays.

Same with Drugs, the films all make it look glamourous. People watch Rise of the Footsoldier and Tate, Tucker & Rolfe are now spoken of as some sort of hero's.

Local Hardmen is the icing on the cake, its somebody from the films but in their local area. Teesside, has a lot of large housing estates, all of which have their hardmen, drug dealers and its not long until the start stepping on each others toes - usually ending in death or a lengthy prison sentence. The worst part of it nowadays is you don't need to be physically hard because you can just compensate with a knife.

Every town, village has them but in areas where they account for a large proportion its seen as a way of life.

Deep down its clearly low self esteem - growing up you where either good at sports, good looking or a hard cunt. If you where none of these then you got a tough time. Sadly in places like Teesside that continues for a lot of them.

BoroRedKen

Excellent words Northy. Makes sense  :bigjack