Happy birthday to one of Charltons Champions

Started by erimus74, July 18, 2023, 12:31:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

erimus74

One of the members of big Jacks iconic champions

Peter Brine celebrates his 70th birthday today

Peter was registered No492 when, on the 7th October 1972, manager Stan Anderson handed Peter the number 12 shirt in our home game v Millwall, which the Boro won 1-0, courtecy of a Willie Maddren goal
PB replaced Gordon Jones who wore the No11 shirt, in the 2nd half for his debut

Peter went to make a 2nd appearence as sub away to Cardiff City in a 2-0 defeat then, on the 20th January 1973 he made his full debut wearing the No8 shirt at home to QPR, Graeme Souness's home debut, the game ended goaless

He went on to playel under 3 different Boro managers, scoring one of the quickets goals at AP when he bagged the opening goal v Arsenal after 20 seconds in a 3-0 win, 4 days before we thumped them again in the FAC, this time 4-1

Between 1972 - 1977 Peter went on to make 94 appearences, scoring 8 goals

Sadly on the 10th September 1977 at home to Birmingham, Billy Ashcrofts scoring home debut, was to be PB's final Boro game, due to a lingering knee injury his time at the mighty Boro as over

I liked PB's time at the Boro, IIRC, his team were Charlton so it was a dream to, not only make his debut v Millwall, but to beat them also, as he considered them Charltons rivals

We speak occasionally on FB, have a cracking day Peter

Smoggers51

Brilliant write up Erimus mate.Fascinating as always.

tunstall

:orson:

Never heard of the cunt

But I'm glad I share my birthday with one of Charlton's lads

Johnny Thunder

erimus74

Quote from: tunstall on July 18, 2023, 11:03:05 AM:orson:

Never heard of the cunt

But I'm glad I share my birthday with one of Charlton's lads

Happy birthday tunstall 🎂🎊🎉👍

Nosmo-King

Afternoon Erimus. Of all the players I never really rated Peter Brine that highly. Couldn't remember a stand out game he had for us - maybe just me!!

erimus74

Quote from: Nosmo-King on July 18, 2023, 02:43:16 PMAfternoon Erimus. Of all the players I never really rated Peter Brine that highly. Couldn't remember a stand out game he had for us - maybe just me!!

Hi Nosmo-king, I sort of latched onto him early in his career when I read an interview he did when he mentioned born down south his dad seen the ability in him & from an early age encouraged him & when teams came knocking on hs familys door his dad, unbeknown to me at the time, wanted him to sign for the Boro, back in the mid 70's I thought to myself, wow, someone from London wants to sign for the Boro

Looking at his time here, he was decent enough but the quality we had in mainly big Jacks team & later John Neals team, meant he would be a squad player at best, no disrespect to Peter Brine who may agree with my comment, then through FB we got to chat & when I would post this day events, when he was involved he would reply, we spoke a few more times & then he came over for a 73-74 reunion when I met him & what a cracking person he was

AtomicDog

Quote from: tunstall on July 18, 2023, 11:03:05 AM:orson:

Never heard of the cunt

But I'm glad I share my birthday with one of Chorlton and the Wheelies
Sounds about right lad  :diego:
Why must I feel like that . . . Why must I chase the 🐈