4th Test Ashes at Old Trafford

Started by Mike Peeler, July 17, 2023, 10:11:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Peeler

As expected and with it being his home ground Jimmy Anderson is back in the squad for Robinson. He has had a difficult/poor series by his own standards has Anderson and this is probably his final swan song in an England shirt at Old Trafford and his home crowd.

After that win last time out, we are in for a cracker and another must-win to stay in the series. It would be some series win if we manage to pull it off after going 2.0 down. Let us see if we can at least take it to the last test. The weather forecast is not good, which is a shame.

Can Anderson turn into the Jimmy Anderson show, and take the ball around corners? Good to see Mark Wood in the squad.

Another England win for me. After that, who knows are my current thoughts.

tunstall

Jimmy needs to perform like

Otherwise I reckon that'll be the end of him

TeessideTopgun

Looking forward to it , if our game is on blob think we will sneak it , however any under par performances and the ashes are lost

Johnny Thunder

There will be another batting collapse from us.

Accept it.

:rudi:

Redsteel (Moderator)

Quote from: tunstall on July 17, 2023, 10:15:01 AMJimmy needs to perform like

Otherwise I reckon that'll be the end of him

Got to be his last Ashes series regardless I'd say.

Mike Peeler

Yes, I agree with folk on Anderson it's probably do or die for him in this game. A cracking servent to cricket and England but you do get the feeling his time is up. Fingers crossed for at least one last hurrah from him. Lose this one or lose the ashes through the weather in this test and it's game over for his test career for me and I would look elsewhere for the oval test. Win here and if he performs he might be in with a shout in the next one.

Reports say we might see a couple of days play but the weekend looks bad and it could put a dampener on things and we lose the ashes due to bad weather.

tunstall

I think if we lose the Ashes we can't blame the weather for it

Shit catching, poor fielding, wreckless batting and bad luck with injuries (which is part and parcel of the game and also the Aussies have suffered this) CAN be blamed though

BoroBob

Weather's not looking good though.

Mike Peeler

Quote from: tunstall on July 19, 2023, 08:29:30 AMI think if we lose the Ashes we can't blame the weather for it

Shit catching, poor fielding, wreckless batting and bad luck with injuries (which is part and parcel of the game and also the Aussies have suffered this) CAN be blamed though

I sort of agree with you, I would just rather see us lose through play and not due to this test getting rained off and ending in a draw. We've have been reckless so the are no excuses from me. It's been a good watch but like you say it's about winning not losing well. That's my take on 'bazball' i would still like to see us in Australia playing 'bazball' before possibly throwing the towel in on it.

We've pushed the Aussies pretty much all the way in this series and they are the NO  test team don't forget.

Bud Wiser

Quote from: Mike Peeler on July 17, 2023, 10:11:08 AMAs expected and with it being his home ground Jimmy Anderson is back in the squad for Robinson. He has had a difficult/poor series by his own standards has Anderson and this is probably his final swan song in an England shirt at Old Trafford and his home crowd.

After that win last time out, we are in for a cracker and another must-win to stay in the series. It would be some series win if we manage to pull it off after going 2.0 down. Let us see if we can at least take it to the last test. The weather forecast is not good, which is a shame.

Can Anderson turn into the Jimmy Anderson show, and take the ball around corners?
Good to see Mark Wood in the squad.

Probably not would be my guess. I'm also pretty sure he hasn't made his home grounds Honours Board for Test bowling either.
I hope I'm proved massively wrong but it looks like we're putting sentiment before success with this one.
SAMMY AMEOBI - CAN I HAVE YOUR SHIRT PLEASE

Redsteel (Moderator)

Quote from: Bud Wiser on July 19, 2023, 10:24:03 AM
Quote from: Mike Peeler on July 17, 2023, 10:11:08 AMAs expected and with it being his home ground Jimmy Anderson is back in the squad for Robinson. He has had a difficult/poor series by his own standards has Anderson and this is probably his final swan song in an England shirt at Old Trafford and his home crowd.

Can Anderson turn into the Jimmy Anderson show, and take the ball around corners?
Good to see Mark Wood in the squad.

Probably not would be my guess. I'm also pretty sure he hasn't made his home grounds Honours Board for Test bowling either.
I hope I'm proved massively wrong but it looks like we're putting sentiment before success with this one.

Not 100% on this but he is still within the squad, and like any tournament you pick with in that squad if injuries occur. Its not a simple send them home and bring in whom you want. Probably won't make the next squad if he doesn't produce this test.

tunstall

England won the toss again

And we're gonna bowl

Redsteel (Moderator)

Quote from: tunstall on July 19, 2023, 10:32:01 AMEngland won the toss again

And we're gonna bowl

Had to with it being overcast

tunstall

Jimmy just getting lifted out of his wheelchair now....

Redsteel (Moderator)

Mike Peeler

It's all set up for the Anderson show, so the rest you might say is now down to him. I enjoyed Wood's giving the Aussies it last time out so he will be worth a watch, and then of course Broad V Warner is always viewed as box-office. I just hope the weather lays off.

Mike Peeler

Ali takes one and are we taking control, id be happy so far for England, the only concern, the weather is on the Aussies side if it comes.

Blott

299/8 I would have taken that at lunch.

Nosmo-King

Another great day to look forward to. This series has to be up there with the best. Two well matched sides contribute to exciting cricket some wouldn't associate with test match cricket.

Compelling viewing - only hope the weather doesn't determine the result

Mike Peeler

Word as it they are planning for losing a day or so through the weather. So expect fireworks with the bat in our first innings, whether it comes off or not is another matter but it's going to be worth a watch.

2005 is still my best Ashes series but this lot can come back from 2.0 down and win it 3.2 it will be some result played in a different style. I will take the week off if it goes to a decider.

A massive day today, and after that, the weather kicks in which will be a concern. Should knock these over early on and then let's see how we do with the bat. Johnny owes us quick-fire big innings, so it's him Brook, Root, and Stokes this one rests with. That's if the openers can get us off to a decent start.

tunstall

tunstall

Redsteel (Moderator)

At last, that is them fucks allout

tunstall

Aussies all out for 317

Woakes got his 5th wicket

Should have had one earlier but it was a no-baller

Time to bat....

tunstall