Blast from the past

Started by erimus74, July 15, 2023, 11:11:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

erimus74

11th May 1985

Shrewsbury 0 the mighty Boro 2

An iconic Boro photo

After what looked as a season of certain relegation, the late, great Willie Maddren got us over the line & the club was saved for anotber 12 months, unfortunately 12 months later, same place, different result & we were down, but was that a blessing in disguise!

Back to the photo, Gary Hamilton sat on the floor, cut above his eye after been sent off, with Boro two up
Alf Duffield stood there anxiously waiting the final whistle, Alan Kernaghan, an unused sub, looking on, Steve Smelt, Willies No2 & of course Peter Beagrie sat somewhere in the dugout after scoring then receiving his marching orders too, sadly this game was Heine Ottos final appearence for the mighty Boro, but we survived

Mike Peeler

Nice one Erimus that was the game I went to in the back of a Luton van. As you say last game of the season and we stayed up with a win but went down the next year at the same ground on the last game of the season.

How strange to play them again on the last day and again at Gay Meadow. As a young excited kid, I was gutted to miss the riot the year after having gone the year before. I've since grown up. :rav:

The year before and the game you mention was the date of the Bradford fire, we heard about it at a service station on our way back. No radio or phones in the van in them days. Very shocked to hear it, as were all who traveled to Shursbury that day in the van.

'Good Lads'  as well I was to later to find out in life. Not everyone's cup of tea, but still massive Boro fans who also liked the naughty side of football back then

Gingerpig

Hammy with a cut eye , as if he would get involved in fistiness  lol

AtomicDog

Use to love Gary Hammo remember when he stayed with Rioch in a house on Acklam rd (what the club owned) seeing him walk passed mortal drunk with his arms round two lasses (right sorts too) holding him up, he'd been in the cooper all day
:monkeyman:

:rudi:

"Alright pal"

'Go on hammo Lad'

:leo1:

UTFB
Why must I feel like that . . . Why must I chase the 🐈